Running----inside or outdoors? Alone or with a buddy?

Options
I prefer running outside, I love all the seasons and the different scenery, especially trails. I almost always run alone, except with my dog, and I love the mental clarity I get along with the "natural high" afterwards! Nothing beats it!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Running is great for introverts. I also prefer the outdoors. I am planning an epic run in 2017, the Canadian Death Race, so rough terrain is better than treadmill. I told my pastor on Sunday though, that I draw the line at 40 below. When it is that cold, I run indoors.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Outside, alone mostly.

Fun runs or trail runs with friends are fun, but if I'm getting into the groove I don't like being distracted or held back at a different pace.

Deadmill only during the soul sucking cold of the Canadian winters I have to endure.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Running is great for introverts. I also prefer the outdoors. I am planning an epic run in 2017, the Canadian Death Race, so rough terrain is better than treadmill. I told my pastor on Sunday though, that I draw the line at 40 below. When it is that cold, I run indoors.
    My limit is -10C, I'm a huge wimp.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I prefer outside. I can't often find anyone that wants to stick with me for a nice long run.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Outside and alone. I'm super slow so no one can run with me exactly. They just end up way ahead and stopping to wait for me a lot!
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Outside all the time!! Luckily I live in Texas so I can run outside most of the year.
    And I love to run alone, but fun runs or my short runs it's nice to have a friend sometimes :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had an unusual experience with my daughter as she was out running with her hound. I wanted to show off my new speed so I sprinted to my maximum. My daughter and the dog floated along beside me as if I wasn't even moving! I'd forgotten the years of practice my daughter has flown around the show ring, keeping up with her dog.
  • mariamathsgeek
    mariamathsgeek Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Outside, alone & no music!!! I live in a beautiful town in Devon UK and there's lots of great running trails nearby....along rivers, across farms, on moor land, through forests, coastal paths.....I love them all and go out in pretty much any weather (I draw the line at black ice and we don't get much snow so that's not a problem) but only ever run in daylight because of safety & trip hazards. It's my exercise & therapy all in one!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I prefer to run indoors (on a track) with music. I don't like running outside because, well, I'm a wuss :)

And I prefer to run alone because if I run with someone I feel the need to keep pace with them, so I either work too hard and burn myself out early, or I don't work hard enough. (Fun Runs I prefer with a few friends)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Outside, outside, outside!

Running is mostly a loner's activity. I used to have a close buddy and we ran together every Monday evening rain, shine, or snow. We would also travel to races together on the weekends. He has since passed away and I have never found another running partner.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Outside...I HATE the dreadmill. Some of my longest runs seemed shorter than a 30 min session on the dreadmill. I also prefer to run alone. I tend to bust out in song and that is just really embarrassing.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This really depends on the run for me. I have been having issues with keeping pace outside, it jumps all over the place. Using the treadmill to steady out my paces has worked wonders for me, but I only have the attention span to stay on it if I have intervals to do. Steady state or long runs have to be outside, because I can't stand getting on a treadmill and just going. I have many friends on my Facebook feed that can jump on a treadmill for 10+ miles, and I just think...how!

Outside, I usually prefer to run with someone. I like the social aspect of talking to someone while running, and it pulls my mind away from what we are doing. On those runs, I have been known to go and just get lost in the conversation. Plus running with others often forces me to slow down, which often times when I run outside I find myself pulling away from my easy pace into tempo or race pace often...which I think is a major issue with my pace fluctuation.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Always alone.
    Always outside.
    And I always bring my ipod.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Outside and alone is best, but I hate the cold. So from December to March I run inside on a treadmill with a friend. We fake race each other. I always win. lol
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Outside, all alone :)
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I always run outdoors. I'm convinced that a lot of the reason I used to think I hated running was those ridiculous freaking hamster wheels. They immediately turn something fun into work.

My temp limit is based on whether or not there is still ice on the ground. I can throw sweats on and handle some pretty nasty temps once I manage to get my muscles going, but I really don't need to go *kitten* over teakettle into traffic.

• the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Outside and alone. Not just alone, but away from the opportunity to be around other people if I can help it. Running in nature is my time to get centered, and to get a minimum exposure to nature. I don't need or want anyone else around for that. Don't get me wrong, I run in formation all the time, and that's great. Group motivation is real. But when I'm on my own, I want to be just that: On My Own.
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I can only do 2 miles on a treadmill or max a 5K but beyond that I would rather be outside running. Doesn't matter if it's cold arctic blast weather. That's why you have compression pants and tops for. Don't forget your hat and gloves and not to mention compression socks! I like running by myself without distraction of trying to keep up with anyone. Just don't make me run in humid hot weather!
  • ehuschka
    ehuschka Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Love running outside, whenever I force myself onto a treadmill (like on business trips) I can barely eeek out a 2 miler. Plus, my gps says that I'm running 10 minute miles outside while on the treadmill I can maybe do 12 minute miles.

I prefer running with just my dog, but whenever I'm in training my husband joins so we can run the half together.

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I will run races with friends, but my training runs are always solo and almost always early morning. That's when I solve all the world's problems. lol