Exercise Suggestions

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions what exercises I might be able to do in a chair that doesn't involve twisting or bending? My back pain has really shot me in the foot with regards to progress for weight loss. My goal was to lose 15 pounds by April 1st, but I don't know if that's going to happen now because if I bend, I'm in pain. If I walk, I'm in pain. If I stand up, I'm in pain. If I sneeze, dear God, am I pain. So I'm trying to figure out what exercises anyone can suggest that doesn't involve me moving my legs or my back or bending or twisting because I'm at a loss. Alas, typing isn't an exercise. My back spasms are presently controlled with a muscle relaxer, so I can at least sit up, but rolling over in bed at night when I'm asleep is almost impossible. This is the kind of pain I'm dealing with and still trying to figure out how to exercise with at the same time. I know I need to relax and let my back heal, but any ideas?

Replies

• Lialena
    Lialena Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I suggest asking your doctor about this. Or, your physical therapist if you have one. I'm sure they would have some ideas about safe movements you could do.

That said... it sounds like you might be able to do some things with your arms and possibly abdomen. Arm lifts and curls, pressing your palms against each other, and resistance band pulls. Muscle crunches of the abdomen (pull muscles in and hold for a count of 5, release, count 5, repeat) might be doable, depending on what impacts your back. Other muscles could be similarly flexed (butt, legs, etc).

Swim therapy might be worth considering. I have bad knees and find it a lot easier to run without straining them in the pool then on land.

Are you able to lift your legs while seated? If so one of those little floor bike peddle things could be an option (it's like a bike, without wheels or the seat, etc, just peddles).

There was an article in the news last month about how patients with broken arms may benefit from imagining exercising the limb. Those who did imagined exercise lost less muscle mass then those who did not. Something to do with the nervous system.
    This wouldn't burn calories, but might help with muscle wasting from all the sedentary time. (tracked down a source http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141231154012.htm)
  • crypsyx
    crypsyx Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • djones195
    Options
    You might be able to try a recumbent bike. You can sit and pedal at your own pace. On top of that, cycling is the second-best calorie burner that I've come across no matter what your pace (I've heard that swimming burns even more calories but that might not work for you).