Fooled by numbers - so annoyed!!

Options
HM2206
HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
I just picked up a one-portion pizza from my local organic shop for dinner. It was on sale and on the package it says "One package contains 310 calories". Now I now that's low for pizza, but it was portion sized, only spinach and some light cheese (and I've had a diet pizza at 360 cals before).

Now I was about to log it, and what do I see - it is three times that. Three times! And it wasn't even that good, it tasted like typical diet food.

I am usually super careful with these things, I know they trick and tweak the nutritional stuff, but I always check whether it says the container or per portion. But it actually said 300 calories per package, and the package is not the portion size, that is the package!

Now I have involuntarily gone way over my daily allowance and I am so annoyed :(

Has this happened to you? Such a waste of calories!

Replies

• YumiZoomi
    Options
    Oh gosh.. I would be HIGHLY annoyed by that too! This has never happened to me.. not yet anyways. But I can see how irritated I would be if I were in your shoes.

I will say that I have problems eyeballing Korean food dishes and I think its little and I go to log and its way more cals than I thought.. and find myself with little to no cals for later. So I just stopped eating Korean food... ;/ I'm determined to just stick to what I know for sure until I reach goal weight. Estimating.. eyeballing.. guessing... I'm going to leave all that aside until I'm where I want to be. Smh.

Food is always way more cals than you think and exercise always burns less cals than you think.. LOL It sucks ;/
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    YumiZoomi wrote: »
    Oh gosh.. I would be HIGHLY annoyed by that too! This has never happened to me.. not yet anyways. But I can see how irritated I would be if I were in your shoes.

I will say that I have problems eyeballing Korean food dishes and I think its little and I go to log and its way more cals than I thought.. and find myself with little to no cals for later. So I just stopped eating Korean food... ;/ I'm determined to just stick to what I know for sure until I reach goal weight. Estimating.. eyeballing.. guessing... I'm going to leave all that aside until I'm where I want to be. Smh.

Food is always way more cals than you think and exercise always burns less cals than you think.. LOL It sucks ;/

Yes and when my boyfriend's been visiting we've had room service and also so hard to calculate...suppose I have to eliminate myself from those situations for a while and just eat very simple stuff...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am confused. What does the nutrition label say?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    How do you know the calorie count was 3 times what the package said? 930 calories of spinach pizza would be pretty substantial, unless it was deep dish or something like that...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    How do you know the calorie count was 3 times what the package said?

This. The entry in MFP could be wrong or for a different size.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    How do you know the calorie count was 3 times what the package said?

This. The entry in MFP could be wrong or for a different size.

Agreed, the Weight Watchers pepperoni pizzas are only like 240 so 310 seems reasonable to me.