Just finished c25k. Now what?

Options
I just finished c25k - which is pretty thrilling for me because I used to consider a quarter mile long distance lol.

My new goal is to improve my pace for a 5k. I did some googling but it's kind of all over the place. I did find one specific plan but I don't want to go with the only thing I found and hope you guys have some input as far as plans for improving your pace. I do 3 days of strength training a week so I plan to keep the running down to 3 or 4 times a week.

I do eventually want to move onto training for 10k but really want to focus on pace right now (which I assume, from what I've seen, will incorporate increasing distance anyway).

Any advice based on what you've done to improve?

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Check out tempo runs, interval runs, fartleks and hill runs.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo to track my runs on my phone, and it happens to have training plans. I know that runkeeper, etc serve the same function. That is how I keep myself challenged.

There are also a lot of interval training programs you can check out to increase your speed. Google it and you'll find a lot. :)
  • lchadwick3
    lchadwick3 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    if you're running 3 days per week then focus on one being speed, one tempo and one long distance.

For Speed: if you can get to a track, run 100M sprints with rest in between, work up to 200M and 400M sprints. This day can also be used for strength, so throw in some hill sprints.

For tempo: pick a route you will run over again and measure your improvement on this run over time. Try to base your tempo on how the effort feels and keeping the pace the same throughout the run.

On the long distance: set a goal each week to go a little farther. If you're prepping for a 10K then get to where you can run 7 or 8 miles so that 6 doesn't seem hard at all. Just remember to take a week before the race to taper off so you're fresh for the race.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    The #1 way to get faster as a new runner is simply to run more.

Try following a 10K plan (assuming you have time). You will knock your next 5K out of the solar system.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm preparing for a 5k on St. Patrick's day after finishing an eight week Learn to Run class at the end of December. I finished my first 3.75 K this past Sunday. I found a plan, mapped it out on a calendar, and here I am. I have signed up for a 10K in June.

Heck. I can't find the schedule I found before.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Try following a 10K plan (assuming you have time). You will knock your next 5K out of the solar system.

Ditto. I shaved 3 minutes off my time from my first to second 5K race (about three weeks apart). Didn't do anything special in between other than starting a 10K plan.

Run lots, mostly slow. :)
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »

Ditto. I shaved 3 minutes off my time from my first to second 5K race (about three weeks apart). Didn't do anything special in between other than starting a 10K plan.

Run lots, mostly slow. :)

Same here. I just ran more.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    My new goal is to improve my pace for a 5k.

Start training for a 10K.

Once you can consistently run for an hour at a time 3-4 times per week then speedwork will show some benefits, until then it's a waste of time.

Training for 10K knocked about 5 minuts off my 5K time, then training for a half marathon dropped it by about the same.

My focus is marathon training right now so I'm not anticipating any reduction in my 5K time but my HM time should reduce.

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Once I finished C25K, I started C210K. I didn't like the program and just started running on my own and building up distance. In the process, my 5K time improved a lot. So really, just run more. Also try to get in some interval work.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice everyone! I'll be honest, I'm a little scared of training for the 10k lol. But the consensus seems to be that distance is the key (which makes sense). I think I'll try a 10k plan and work in some tempo runs every now and then to see where I'm at.