Pregnancy and weight gain

Options
Hello all!
I'm 20 weeks pregnant and have maintained a weight loss of 60 pounds for a year prior. Terrified to gain weight, but have gained only 5 pounds so far. Any advice?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You need a profile picture to be taken seriously here.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Do you need to gain weight at all? What were your pre-pregnancy stats?
  • Ajaxlost
    Ajaxlost Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    my advice is to stay active. If you are already doing activity, continue. go for walks, eat a healthy variety of foods. Indulge your cravings, just don't over-indulge.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Please don't be terrified to gain weight. That weight is needed by your baby. Eat nutritious food and enough of it. Speak with your OB if you're concerned, please!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Um, what about baby, amniotic fluid, extra blood, placenta, extra fat for breastfeeding etc? Yes, you do need to gain a bit! If you're a healthy weight then it's recommended you gain 25-35lbs.

I've gained too much in all three of my pregnancies. I exercised through my first and ate well, didn't exercise that much in my 2nd, and exercised loads and logged on MFP eating below maintenance for my third, and I gained pretty much the same all three times! I lost it all after my first, lost it all and more after my second, and I'm 9 months post partum with my third and have a bit to go, but I'm hopeful I'll get there.

You've only gained 5lbs so far so I really wouldn't worry, and you can lose whatever you gain after anyway if you need to.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Um, what about baby, amniotic fluid, extra blood, placenta, extra fat for breastfeeding etc? Yes, you do need to gain a bit! If you're a healthy weight then it's recommended you gain 25-35lbs.

I've gained too much in all three of my pregnancies. I exercised through my first and ate well, didn't exercise that much in my 2nd, and exercised loads and logged on MFP eating below maintenance for my third, and I gained pretty much the same all three times! I lost it all after my first, lost it all and more after my second, and I'm 9 months post partum with my third and have a bit to go, but I'm hopeful I'll get there.

You've only gained 5lbs so far so I really wouldn't worry, and you can lose whatever you gain after anyway if you need to.

Of course you need to gain weight if you're at a healthy weight. Hence, why I asked what her pre-pregnancy stats were. I've known women who were obese when they got pregnant, and they actually ended up losing weight through the pregnancy because they ate healthier foods.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Of course you need to gain weight if you're at a healthy weight. Hence, why I asked what her pre-pregnancy stats were. I've known women who were obese when they got pregnant, and they actually ended up losing weight through the pregnancy because they ate healthier foods.

Sorry, I thought you meant pregnant women in general.

Some women lose weight through puking lots too. I felt really nauseous with my girls and ended up eating carbs to stop feeling so rough, and usually I'm careful not to eat too much bread, pasta etc, so I'm sure that affected my weight gain.
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you were before. 15lbs is average for safe weight gain but smaller women can gain up to 25lbs. Overweight women technically dont have to gain a pound but that can be highly unlikely.
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Please ask your doctor! Since I was a little overweight when I got pregnant (I'm 5'3, was 155 when I got pregnant), my doctor recommended I try to stay at about .5lb/week. Some weeks I'd gain nothing and other weeks I'd gain 2lbs. It averaged out, I was 173 at 41 weeks. I'd focus on eating foods that are good for you and baby and try not to fall into the "eating for two" trap. You only need about 300 extra calories a day. And walk, walk, walk until your due date. I had some complications mid-pregnancy that really slowed my activity, so giving birth was like running a race I hadn't trained for.
  • Talkradio
    Options
    It depends on what you were before. 15lbs is average for safe weight gain but smaller women can gain up to 25lbs. Overweight women technically dont have to gain a pound but that can be highly unlikely.

Errr this is not average. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/pregnancy-week-by-week/in-depth/pregnancy-weight-gain/art-20044360
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You need to talk to your doctor or midwife. You need excellent nutrition to build a healthy baby. You especially need to gain weight in the third trimester. The first two trimesters you are building up breasts, placenta, amniotic fluid, extra blood and lung volume, etc. You can kind of do that by metabolizing fat. But the last trimester you're building BABY. They are putting on fat. They are building a healthy brain and nervous system. They are bulking up their organ systems.

They need every bit of those 7 pound they're going to be putting on and in the highest quality nutrition you can manage.

If you've seen a healthcare professional, they've given you advice. You should follow it.
  • Talkradio
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    You need to talk to your doctor or midwife. You need excellent nutrition to build a healthy baby. You especially need to gain weight in the third trimester. The first two trimesters you are building up breasts, placenta, amniotic fluid, extra blood and lung volume, etc. You can kind of do that by metabolizing fat. But the last trimester you're building BABY. They are putting on fat. They are building a healthy brain and nervous system. They are bulking up their organ systems.

They need every bit of those 7 pound they're going to be putting on and in the highest quality nutrition you can manage.

If you've seen a healthcare professional, they've given you advice. You should follow it.

Yes yes yes
  • 78ttylorcat
    Options
    Good for you for keeping the weight off, pre-pregnancy!

The good news is you only need ~300 additional calories of healthful food to ensure you and your baby receive adequate nutrition.

Eat healthful foods, and satiate cravings - in moderation. Keep up or begin exercise - as long as you have the go-ahead from your Doctor. Good luck and congratulations on your weight loss - and on the baby!!!
  • bbrat4life22
    Options

Lost 60 pounds. 5'6 158 pounds pre pregnancy.