Constipation

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
Tmi or whatever. I've been having this problem for a while. I don't know what could be causing it. I eat plenty of fruits and veggies. I drink tons of water. I don't really eat junk food at all.
Very rarely. I bought a bag of prunes and was eating 5 or so a day and that was keeping me kinda regular but I stopped eating them bc they're gross and I thought maybe it got my digestive tract back "on track" and I could try to stop eating them, but now I'm right back to where I was. I don't want to be doomed to a life of daily prunes lol. I've also been taking a probiotic every day. Does anyone know of anything in particular that could be causing this that I haven't thought of yet ???

Replies

• agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated how much fiber you're getting each day?

Also, I have a friend who takes magnesium supplements to help her be "regular"
  • hesn92
    Options
    agal129 wrote: »
    Have you calculated how much fiber you're getting each day?

Also, I have a friend who takes magnesium supplements to help her be "regular"

I scanned through my diary and it looks like I'm getting around 20-25 g. How much should I be eating?
  • agal129
    Options
    I believe 25 is the recommended amount for women, although each person may feel better at different amounts. I personally feel better when I have a little more than

Try incorporating different fiber-rich foods to your diet? beans, whole grain carbs (rice, bread, oatmeal)

I would suggest speaking to a doctor if you are really concerned about it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The prunes work because they have sorbitol.
    Magnesium works because it is a stool softener. Try magnesium oxide. Check with the pharmacist for how much to take.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Are you stressed or traveling? Some prescription meds can also cause it, so can iron supplements. Getting enough electrolytes will help you stay hydrated better than just straight water. Many people have a magnesium deficiency. A magnesium supplement can help you stay regular too.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough oils/fats? You need this to get things moving. Try increasing your fats for a few days and see what happens.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    45g or above fibre keeps me regular. I have constipation issues too. I could eat a boatload of fruit and veggies and it won't make a difference.
    Magnesium helps. Flaxseed meal, chia seeds and Psyllium work great too
  • hesn92
    Options
    45 g! That is a lot. I thought I was eating a lot already at 25. I may have to look into other good fiber sources... More beans I suppose?
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    What about good ol' Metamucil? In terms of probiotics, I like Yakult. It tastes like Skittles to me.
  • agal129
    Options
    Just make sure you drink tons of water if you start drastically increasing your fiber intake.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I'll share the concoction I get from my health food store, it's called Fibre Cleanse. It's the ONLY thing I've tried that works 100% of the time. I go everyday like clockwork now, which was unheard of before.

Psyllium husk
    Carob powder
    Linseed meal
    Oat meal
    Slippery elm powder.

It comes in a powdered form and tastes like a chocolate milkshake. I mix it with almond/coconut milk
  • Christine_72
    Options
    agal129 wrote: »
    Just make sure you drink tons of water if you start drastically increasing your fiber intake.

Yes! Or else it may have the opposite effect. I drink 3L of water everyday