What's your favorite 'biggest bang for your buck' food/snacks?

Options
I am growing bored with soup and popcorn and need new ideas!

Replies

• kinacalla
    kinacalla Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh and by 'biggest bang for your buck' I mean most filling/lowest calories... :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Do you mean literally biggest bang for your buck, as in most nutrients per cost? If so, I'd go with dried beans.

Or did you mean most filling for the calories? If so, I'd go with spaghetti squash.
  • AliluniqueLaura
    AliluniqueLaura Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Fiber one 90 calories bars are amazing! Lots of flavors, I eat them everyday.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yes, spaghetti squash for sure! Love it in place of noodles.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein shakes. 160 calories and 30 grams of protein.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Apples and snap peas. They're pretty much a mainstay of my lunch. Turkey breast is a close third, and might edge out apples because of the protein, but apples provide a lot of satiety. Apples and turkey together are pretty much perfect for my purposes.

My sugar count runs a little high, but I'm not fussed about that in context with everything else.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt and fruit. For me it's indulgent as simple as it is, gives me protein and fiber and a reason to use my homemade granola.
    I'm going to take a guess you're looking for 100 calorie snacks so I'd say Dannon light and fit greek yogurt, comes in a variety of flavors and will keep you full withoug breaking the wallet.
  • mldrown
    mldrown Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Homemade hummus and raw veggies. I like the crunch and homemade hummus - super easy to make and cheap. Also, apple and two TB of natural peanut butter.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken breast..
  • bianca_gardiner
    bianca_gardiner Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Tsaziki with flavoured chicken In low cal wraps
  • bianca_gardiner
    Options
    Naked noodle ramen pots
  • bianca_gardiner
    Options
    Smoked salmon appetisers from tesco oh and gravlax salmon on rye crackers

• bianca_gardiner
    Options
    And cottage cheese on rice cake thing with pesto or peri peri sauce
  • bianca_gardiner
    Options
    Thins
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Carrots
    Chicken broth with one egg (one egg for two cups of chicken broth to make egg drop soup - 80 calories and it's VERY filling)
    One ounce of cheese and an apple (ok I guess carrots instead of apple would work too, but an apple alone doesn't)
    Lunch meat and cheese roll ups (roll up one thick slice of lunch meat and a slice of cheese)

Those are my staples when I want a snack under 100 or 200 calories that is actually filling.
  • JasonH_DFW
    JasonH_DFW Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Raw spinich, i would never be full without it. Cabbage with a close second, with horseradish mustard or garlic chile sauce on top. Could eat that all day long.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Do you mean literally biggest bang for your buck, as in most nutrients per cost? If so, I'd go with dried beans.

Or did you mean most filling for the calories? If so, I'd go with spaghetti squash.
    Triple vote for the spag squash.

Also chicken, tuna and protein powder.
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    One of my go-to's are mini peppers from your local produce - they're bite size, have a nice snap, and there's a good bit of fiber.
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Glynn20 wrote: »
    Premier Protein shakes. 160 calories and 30 grams of protein.

Same here. I also drink those little 8 oz isopure grape frost and alpine punch drinks when I just need to get in some liquid and make sure I'm getting my protein.

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    www.healthsmartfoods.com
    (coupon codes are available on www.retailmenot.com)

They have chocolite protein bars that are about 100 cal's and have about 10 g fiber/10g protein.

They also have a "Chocolate Crispy Caramel" thing - there's two in each package - they're 30 cal's each, and have 6g fiber each (that's 60 cal's total for the package, and 12 g fiber, 16 g carbs).