Superbowl girl commercial & my daughter

Options

Replies

• 00figg
    00figg Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i loved that commercial! keep up the good work with your daughters ladies!
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Loved the commercial and the message. Good for you for being a good example for your daughter!!
    Here's the expanded version of the commercial, it's good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJQBjWYDTs
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    TMLPatrick wrote: »
    +1 great post... and it sickens me that there are actually people who were offended by this commercial.
    Who was offended by it?

Probably guys who use the phrase to belittle women...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome story, your daughter sounds amazing and you're a great parent!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    OMG I love that extended version - I'm going to share it with Raegan tonight. It actually brought tears to my silly mommy eyes haha. I'm such a girl...happily. (my avatar is my daughter last night - working on form)
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have a co-worker whose daughter is a gymnast and in middle school. Co-worker only recently found out that daughter has had to deal with kids putting her down for being a gymnast. Apparently, gymnastics isn't a real sport, because it's all girls, and only snobs are gymnasts. :o

Seriously? Do I need to check my calendar, 'cause I thought it was 2014, not 1972. . .

Uh? I would give my left leg to be as strong as a 15 year old gymnast.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    When I saw that commercial, there was a table of women talking about how it was so stupid. (They were drunk, nice local bar.)

So, feeling like a jerk, I leaned over and said, "How will you run if my dog and I are hunting you down?"

Friends I was with started laughing, drunk women appeared as if they all ate lemons.
  • dbmata
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have a co-worker whose daughter is a gymnast and in middle school. Co-worker only recently found out that daughter has had to deal with kids putting her down for being a gymnast. Apparently, gymnastics isn't a real sport, because it's all girls, and only snobs are gymnasts. :o

Seriously? Do I need to check my calendar, 'cause I thought it was 2014, not 1972. . .

First wife was an acrobat... not only is that a sport, it's something most people regardless of gender will never have the wherewithall to ever achieve anything in. Which is unfortunate, she was fun, if not batguano crazy.
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This is so important. You're doing a great job raising a young lady. :)
  • Talkradio
    Options
    You are awesome. My son is 20 months, and I am so excited that I've started my fitness journey so he can grow up with a kick butt mom :) I want him to know that women are strong, capable, and inherently deserve respect.

I've always had an assertive personality, and I'm keenly aware of the insults that have been hurled my way: bossy, b*tchy, mouthy, ice queen, dragon lady. Being a "tough" woman is so derided. I recently started karate, and I love that being strong and aggressive is a GOAL now, instead of something to try to minimize to fit in. It has given me the confidence and motivation to start losing weight and working out in a gym again.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Showtime1978
    Showtime1978 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    <3 the commercial AND this post!!!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    i can't see the commercial- but it's clear you are having a very positive and watch as I do kind of impact on your child.

That's a big fat giant parenting win.
    Good job you. Something to be proud of for real.

I love it when I see parents who bring their teenaged kids to the gym.

I also laugh when it's the summer or what I know is a snow day and they're there with dad at 6 a.m. The looks on their faces is priceless.

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    When I saw that commercial, there was a table of women talking about how it was so stupid. (They were drunk, nice local bar.)

So, feeling like a jerk, I leaned over and said, "How will you run if my dog and I are hunting you down?"

Friends I was with started laughing, drunk women appeared as if they all ate lemons.

This thread made my day. This post made my week.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options

Wow...not sure what kind of a woman would feel that way about that commercial. I think it's such a powerful message!

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

First wife was an acrobat... not only is that a sport, it's something most people regardless of gender will never have the wherewithall to ever achieve anything in. Which is unfortunate, she was fun, if not batguano crazy.

Totally agreed. Everyone puts down gymnastics and calisthenics as "beginner" strength training type stuff.

Doing stuff gymnasts do, like an Iron Cross or handstand on fitness rings take an unbelievable level of self control, balance, and strength that powerlifters couldn't even dream of achieving.
  • Talkradio
    Options
    I love it when I see parents who bring their teenaged kids to the gym.

I also laugh when it's the summer or what I know is a snow day and they're there with dad at 6 a.m. The looks on their faces is priceless.

My son is a toddler, but part of the reason we joined the YMCA was so I could take him with me. I want to give my kids the gift of activity... Something my couch potato family never gave me.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options

My niece is a dancer and has been told that dance isn't a sport... she knows better than to believe that crap!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! Your daughter has one kick@$$ momma!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »

Wow...not sure what kind of a woman would feel that way about that commercial. I think it's such a powerful message!

Not just one, three. All mid 40s, all dressed up in Seachickens gear. I think it's just a product of being on the red end of a purple state. It's like living in the land of the lost.

More laughs where had when I almost fell out of my chair laughing at Wilson's excellent play call on the 1.