Learning to Maintain

Options
Several months ago I found MFP and have been steadily loosing my pound a week. From 190 down to 169 so far with 155 being my ideal goal. I strength train 4 days a week and try for the same with cardio. I realize I am and will loose some muscle and strength during the process and thats ok.....

When I reach my goal however, I would like to work on growing again but maintaining my new composition.... How does one do that... do I find my maintenance calorie and add a couple of hundred extra in the form of protein and just keep doing??? I want to start learning about what I'm going to do once I get to my goal.

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Maintaining is just learning to make good food decisions consistently. Building muscle at that new weight involves exercise and better nutrition. There's a good forum on exactly that topic I think just below maintenance.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My trainer and I talked about this last night. She told me to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass...so me at around 128 pounds should probably eat around 115 grams of protein. She also said to be sure and eat carbs such as sweet potatoes and brown rice. It's still a learning process for me.
    You need to send a friend request to someone on here named Vismal. His profile contains YouTube videos and so much information on how to do what you are trying to do. He is an excellent source of information!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
  • mrsethtaylor
    mrsethtaylor Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll follow up on all of those, I hadn't looked at the gaining weight forums (cause that was never an issue...lol) but I guess its different trying to gain without getting fat.

I'm a little under my protein goal, I'm shooting for 155 but while im loosing thats really tough to hit.

I'll look for his youtube stuff, sounds really interesting