Injured back, any suggestions

Options
Hi all,

I recently injured my back and can't exercise like I used too. I'm cutting calories but am getting cranky and it's hard to do it. Any suggestions as to what I can do, I'm sure I'm not the only one who can't excercise due to a medical injury or illness. Im gaining weight despite the caloric cutbacks. Am trying to eat under half of my calories.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• LittleonebeforethethroneofGod
    Options
    Thanks I've been gone for so long I didn't know where to start. :D
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I don't know what level of physical activity you had before or what you mean by "under half my calories." Can you walk? If so, walk. Can you swim or pool run? If so, swim or pool run. Can you sit on a recumbent stationary bike and pedal? If so, sit on a recumbent stationary bike and pedal. Can you sit in a chair and do Wii Sports Boxing with your upper body? If so, sit in a chair and do Wii Sports Boxing. Etc.

If you really can't do anything, go back and recalculate your calories according to a sedentary lifestyle. BE HONEST about tracking and logging what you eat. Remember that if you are trying to recover from an injury, it might be best to eat at maintenance (NOT lose weight) in order to give your body enough energy to heal itself and get you back in the game faster.
  • Harixx
    Options
    Swimming! I had a slipped disc a few years ago and swimming was ever so good for me. It builds the muscles in the back to support it. It made my back much better!
  • LittleonebeforethethroneofGod
    Options
    I can walk but it's a very slow walk. I was trying to stay under 1000 calories a day. Today things are better I might try some walking later today,
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    That sucks. I've hurt my back pretty bad and worked through Physical Therapy. My recommendation is to work with a Sports Med doc and see what he suggests, PT is probably in your future.

If you're gaining weight and eating even less, then there's something wrong in your nutrition, hands-down. Unless you have other medical issues that make losing weight difficult, but assuming your healthy you should be able to eat at a healthy caloric deficit and lose weight sans-exercise, at the very least maintain your weight. I'm willing to bet that 1,000 calories is way way too low for you and you'll just end up doing metabolic damage to yourself if you maintain that for any considerable length of time.
  • pagefan
    pagefan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    agree with sam I am...that 1000 cals is too low, THOUGH, in the past, I have set my sights on 958 a day based on other sites that calculate what I should be doing if I do not work out at all.. I am 2 years, (almost) post back surgery and it took me all this time to 'come back' - and I am still damaged due to nerve issues.. I can no longer do a lot of what I used to do. You need to find out what you are allowed to do, and do that. BE honest with your intake, eat quality voluminous fiber filled foods, and make sure you do not injure yourself again. a slow walk is better than no walk, AND, is helpful to healing... talk to your doc and a nutrition guru.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    pagefan wrote: »
    agree with sam I am...that 1000 cals is too low, THOUGH, in the past, I have set my sights on 958 a day based on other sites that calculate what I should be doing if I do not work out at all.. I am 2 years, (almost) post back surgery and it took me all this time to 'come back' - and I am still damaged due to nerve issues.. I can no longer do a lot of what I used to do. You need to find out what you are allowed to do, and do that. BE honest with your intake, eat quality voluminous fiber filled foods, and make sure you do not injure yourself again. a slow walk is better than no walk, AND, is helpful to healing... talk to your doc and a nutrition guru.

I know that patients that are seriously obese (500lbs / 600lbs) get put on 1,000 calorie diets by their doctor but you must remember the context in-which those diets are prescribed. Unless you fall into that category it's probably not right for you, at least not for a mid to long-term.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you did to injure it, what the injury is, and how long ago you injured it which you gave no information about. The general consensus is don't baby an injury and keep moving as much as possible and get some physiotherapy.