I'm scared I'll never get there... does anyone else relate?

Options
2»

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Take a look at this calculator and re-evaluate your calories. I think you are eating too low for what you want to achieve! I'm 5'8, 163 pounds, and i've switched to eating around 2000 calories a day now, and i haven't really gained. My clothes feel looser on me, and also I have been lifting heavy.

Grats on your progress thus far! But don't get scared, just read up and ask questions. We are all here to support each other! Feel free to friend me, or send me a message :)
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    emc2fit wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, you've knocked some sense into me!!! 1. Chill out 2. Don't avoid all social occasions because that's nuts (and brunch is more exciting than Christmas!) 3. Don't give up.

:) than you MFP community, I know what I wrote was borderline insane but I was feeling crumby and really appreciate all the responses.

We all have our borderline insane moments and feelings and that's what a support community is for--to talk us off the ledges! This thread is definitely MFP at it's best! Good luck!

BTW Brunch IS better than Christmas! We did brunch for Christmas this year--best of both! :smile:
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I don't have any answers for you, but I do feel your pain. I'm an extrovert and eating healthy alienates me from social events. Tonight is girls night out and we're going to a nice restaurant. I already know I'll have to decline the wine. :( It's frustrating because I want to hang out and talk, but I also want to meet my goals. I've managed to take food out of the equation with some of my healthier friends (we meet at the park and walk), but with other friends, I'm lost!!! Some people do well with moderation, but I'm not one of those people.

Don't decline the wine--a glass of wine has only about 120 calories. You can definitely fit one (or even 2) into a weight loss day. I'm on 1200 calories/day and when I know that I have an event I simply plan ahead by eating less during the day--drinking coffee and tea helps, as does eating tuna on lettuce--super high volume and protein, so it's filling and only about 100 calories! It doesn't taste great, but I can do it looking forward to the yumminess I'm planning for. :smile:
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    keziak1 wrote: »
    I expect this is weird since it MFP, but I don't track calories anymore. I eat AS IF counting (back when I was counting for months I learned a lot about portions and calories of the foods I eat). I still check calories on restaurant food whenever possible, but I don't focus on calculating every morsel. Why? Because I was so obsessive that I got worn out and threw in the towel. For ME it was not sustainable. I was making myself crazy. Instead I have developed an eating regime that is generating steady losses without counting every calorie (intermittent fasting with 2 lean meals a day). I feel more relaxed and believe I can stick with it long term.

It's all about what works for you. Some people can count for a while and get a feel for how much they should be eating, so they don't have to count anymore. Some people can just cut out a snack and lose weight and never have to count calories. Some people (like me) will have to count forever. I just can't stick with it in the long run once I stop counting.

Scientifically, its all about the calories. Not everyone has to count calories to create a deficit, but its really helpful for most people.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eat more, move more. There is no need to be miserable, you can still lose weight. And this way it will be sustainable. If you continue to get by on the least amount of calories possible, you will likely not stick with it, and set yourself up on a yo-yo where you gain and then "have to diet" and be miserable, lose some and then gain it all back again. Learn to eat at a reasonable amount and set yourself up for long term success. Fuel yourself properly, lift, get adequate protein, get a little cardio on non lifting days, be patient.
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Loving all the wise and supportive responses in this post so far!!
    I think we all feel that way, at some point. I know I do everyday. Yes, I've lost 53 lbs, but I also know how much more I could have/"should have" lost by now... and I do worry that I'll never get there... but I also know I'm just under a year "trying", I haven't tried my best, and I've taken a least three months "off" during the holidays.... so I have absolutely nothing to complain about... I just need to make up my mind to go back to what I was doing before and do it!
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts & feelings though, many of us feel the same way every day. :wink:
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    1HappyReadhead- just so you know, I would be thrilled to lose 53 lbs! Good job!
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I completely relate to the obsessing part. It's exhausting to think, plan, log, rinse and repeat. All I do is look at food and calculate in my head what it will 'cost,' calorie-wise. It's somewhat depressing as food should be a healthy, enjoyable part of life. I don't have an eating disorder or anything, but when I'm logging, it really makes me obsess over food and drains the enjoyment out of what should be a pleasurable --and social!-- experience.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    vinerie wrote: »
    I completely relate to the obsessing part. It's exhausting to think, plan, log, rinse and repeat. All I do is look at food and calculate in my head what it will 'cost,' calorie-wise. It's somewhat depressing as food should be a healthy, enjoyable part of life. I don't have an eating disorder or anything, but when I'm logging, it really makes me obsess over food and drains the enjoyment out of what should be a pleasurable --and social!-- experience.

Ditto that. I feel exactly the same :disappointed: