whats your favourite sites machines or free weights?

Options
ajwood77
ajwood77 Posts: 5
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Personally I prefer free weights but enjoy machines just to get them last few reps out so ime really exhausted was just wondering what your views are and why
L :-)

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for over 40 years. Started on the old Universal Gym machine at HS and first couple years of college. Then my school got a set of the, at that time, brand new Arthur Jones Nautilus machines. Used those and a variety of other machines for 15-20 years.

Then I joined gym owned by an individual with a bronze metal in Olympic Style Weighlifting. His gym had almost no machines and I started on the free weight thing. I don't use any machines now except the cable tower and assisted pull-up (recovering from shoulder surgeries and can't do regular pull-ups yet).

The free weights do a much better job of working your core. Why sit or lay braced on a machine then go to the corner and do 15 minutes of mindless "core work"?

Also like things like sleds and battling ropes.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the only machine work I do is seated cable rows. Everything else is barbell, dumbell, bands or trx. Love it.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Free weights. Better for the joints, stabilizer muscles, balance. A much more productive workout. Machines are good for rehab from injuries. IMHO there is no place for sitting on your *kitten* during a workout...except cable rows.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My favorite machine is me.
  • Jasonmylis
    Jasonmylis Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm a free weights guy. Free weights incorporate more muscles to stabilize the load and therefore give you a greater boost in metabolism.