The best protein

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    elfman5150 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Best protein for me, chicken. Mmmmmmmm chicken.

Wait, you actually LIKE chicken!? I eat it, but it's so bland that I have to add a bunch to it. My top three:

3.)Steak
    2.)Fish (any type really, but probably salmon)
    1.)Lamb

Elk is a good addition to that list. It's mild like beef but less fat and more protein than chicken plus the grass fed elk has omega 3 FA.

$ per lb vs chicken? My guess it's way more expensive...

Not cheap but not all that expensive either. Chicken isn't so cheap here as in the USA.
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've had elk sausage before. Damn good stuff, but I've yet to find a source to buy my own elk. I love the gamier tasting meats
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    elfman5150 wrote: »
    I've had elk sausage before. Damn good stuff, but I've yet to find a source to buy my own elk. I love the gamier tasting meats

Fortunately, there is a game farm just on the outskirts of town. It's hilarious since they also have a petting zoo and two signs one for the petting zoo right next to the game meats sign.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I like Bison burgers.

That's good too, but a little stronger tasting.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    For me it comes down to quality vs $. Most of the commercialized protein powders u find on the shelves in retail stores have relatively low protein content per serving size. It says "25g per serving!!!" But the serving size may be 30g to even 40g. Then they fill the rest with things you don't need, more fat, more carbs/sugar to make it taste better. Most of them equal less than 60% protein for top $. Waste of money. I use MYPROTEIN it had a much higher protein content at 75% +. And the unflavored has even more 95% (20g protein per 25g scoop) 1.5g fat, 0 carb 100 cal). 5 lb bag is $60. Then I add my flavoring a like berries, cocoa, peanut butter whatever. It comes down to personal preference. If u don't mind spending your hard earned $ on low quality protein just for it to taste better then by all means... Find something that agrees with your stomach and your wallet. Good luck

@allenbrowning‌ do you have any issues with bloating with the MyProtein? I looked at it and it would be more economical for me to purchase this protein. But the protein powder I use is unflavored and doesn't give me any stomach issues.

I haven't had any issues but that's not to say u won't. Everyone's body is different as u know. I say give it a shot. Not sure where u live but in the US it's less than $60 shipped. us.myprotein.com

Thanks! I compared the ingredients to the protein I use, and it's the exact same thing. Only MyProtein is cheaper. I'm so happy I saw your post

Awesome glad to help. Let me know what u think

I will. They also have a coupon going right now until 2/8/15, if anyone else wanted to try it.
  • elfman5150
    Options

Fortunately, there is a game farm just on the outskirts of town. It's hilarious since they also have a petting zoo and two signs one for the petting zoo right next to the game meats sign.

That gave me a good laugh. Reminds me of a picture I saw awhile back...
    w15396nb8s25.jpg

Ok, back to protean.
  • allenbrowning
    allenbrowning Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For me it comes down to quality vs $. Most of the commercialized protein powders u find on the shelves in retail stores have relatively low protein content per serving size. It says "25g per serving!!!" But the serving size may be 30g to even 40g. Then they fill the rest with things you don't need, more fat, more carbs/sugar to make it taste better. Most of them equal less than 60% protein for top $. Waste of money. I use MYPROTEIN it had a much higher protein content at 75% +. And the unflavored has even more 95% (20g protein per 25g scoop) 1.5g fat, 0 carb 100 cal). 5 lb bag is $60. Then I add my flavoring a like berries, cocoa, peanut butter whatever. It comes down to personal preference. If u don't mind spending your hard earned $ on low quality protein just for it to taste better then by all means... Find something that agrees with your stomach and your wallet. Good luck

@allenbrowning‌ do you have any issues with bloating with the MyProtein? I looked at it and it would be more economical for me to purchase this protein. But the protein powder I use is unflavored and doesn't give me any stomach issues.

I haven't had any issues but that's not to say u won't. Everyone's body is different as u know. I say give it a shot. Not sure where u live but in the US it's less than $60 shipped. us.myprotein.com

Thanks! I compared the ingredients to the protein I use, and it's the exact same thing. Only MyProtein is cheaper. I'm so happy I saw your post

Awesome glad to help. Let me know what u think

I will. They also have a coupon going right now until 2/8/15, if anyone else wanted to try it.

Yep. They're always having deals. Before u buy let me know and I'll give u a code for a discount
  • elfman5150
    Options
    Myprotein is great, but I'd also look into true nutrition. They have some amazing deals on there for protein, BCAAs, carbs, etc. They have lots of flavors including all natural ones, and I highly recommend their oatmeal. There's like 20 flavors to choose from, but I stick with the pancakes and syrup.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Is it wrong that this thread is making me want to learn how to hunt?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

Now that I'm dating someone who hunts (and his family since he doesn't go as much any more), I'm realizing how awesome it is. Lots and lots of venison, which is tasty and pretty lean.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I only hunt at the market because it's too hard to take down cookies in the wild! :cookie:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    The cheapest protein you can stand the taste of is the best protein IMO
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I use EAS Chocolate flavored protein and Vega Chocolate and only because I don't always reach my macros w/out it. It is convenient, but by no means some turbo boost.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

to compare the actual cost of protein I'd multiple the grams per serving by the number of servings per container and then divide the cost by that number and then you'll know how much you are actually paying for the protein per gram.

after doing that calculation choose the cheapest one you can stomach lol
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt. I'm made of it basically, with berries almonds, jam or syrup or honey, oh GOD I'm so hungry........
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Now that I'm dating someone who hunts (and his family since he doesn't go as much any more), I'm realizing how awesome it is. Lots and lots of venison, which is tasty and pretty lean.

Jealous - I used to get rabbit and venison from a friends husband, I should really go visit.

I only hunt at the market because it's too hard to take down cookies in the wild! :cookie:

Haha I've heard they're pretty wily in their natural environment.
  • allenbrowning
    allenbrowning Posts: 34 Member
    Options

to compare the actual cost of protein I'd multiple the grams per serving by the number of servings per container and then divide the cost by that number and then you'll know how much you are actually paying for the protein per gram.

after doing that calculation choose the cheapest one you can stomach lol

Good rule of thumb to use in everything purchased. Great post!
  • khanyousaf
    khanyousaf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Platinum pre by optimum nutrition works for me, I feel like it does a really good job of being a thermo genic and good pre workout for focus, for protein just go with any whey however I feel a blend is the best, try Intek evolution protein powder, it's got a blend of whey isolate, casein, and egg protein