First 1/2 Marathon on Sunday

Options
I'm a noob - I can admit that. The race has a time limit of 3 hours and I'm 100% confident I will finish. I expect to run 10 miles (with occasional walking breaks as needed) in 2 hours, which leaves me an hour to walk the last 3.1 if necessary. Easy-peasy.

I think I have everything I could possibly need. I'm set for any type of weather - and so far the Weather Channel is predicting an awesomely sunny, clear morning around 40 degrees.

So for you more experienced runners out there - is there anything that a newbie like me might not have thought of, in term of useful tips, tricks, stuff?

Replies

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    For a little extra warmth while you're waiting for the start, wear a trashbag. You can either discard right before the start or wait until you warm up a bit. Depending on the size of the event, allow some extra time for traffic, and try to arrive 45 to 60 minutes before the start. Scope out the parking a day ahead of time if you can, or google the area. Other than the trashbag, don't wear anything you haven't worn before.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I did my first half marathon in run/walk intervals, and it took me just about 3 hours exactly. I'd say rather than burn yourself out on the first 10 miles, see if you can find an interval that works for you so you're not hating yourself and wanting to crawl the last 3.1 :smile:
    Also, second the "don't wear anything you haven't worn before"

Good luck though! I'm sure you'll love it!
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you know you are going to walking some, then maybe walk the first half mile. Depending on the size the race, the start can get crowded and there will always be walkers or slower runners in front on you. There is a lot of energy weaving people everyone. If you know you will have to walk, spend some time walking early and let the crowd space out and make it easier.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Practice eating what you will eat before the race- and at the same time. Eg have a bowl of porridge at 7am and go for a short run at 9am (if your race starts at 9am). Don't eat or wear anything new on the day of the race. Have a great time- you will have plenty of time if the cut off is 3 hours - I am a very very slow runner and I would do a half marathon in around 2.5 hours (walk breaks for one minute after 5 mins running). Have a wonderful day.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Get body glide. That was a life saver for me. Don't start to fast. I always have that issue and I would get really tired quickly. It was hard for me not to run faster if I was passed. My husband told me "plan your race and race your plan." Basically don't get off of what you did while you were training.

Have fun!
  • robinsnest02
    robinsnest02 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It can be really easy to get pulled along at a faster pace than you are comfortable with at the beginning of a race. Start slow and walk through the water stations so you get enough fluids and don't cramp.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    exciting! all the above. But, most importantly, have FUN!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Oh and I want to add...I cried when I finished. So be prepared for that! :D
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    So for you more experienced runners out there - is there anything that a newbie like me might not have thought of, in term of useful tips, tricks, stuff?

Smile when you see someone with a camera and look happy. Most likely your race photos will have you looking like a Bigfoot on it's final death throes but it doesn't hurt to try for a good picture.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Make sure to set a picture of you with your finisher's medal as your Facebook profile pic.

Good luck! Have a blast!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Conveniently, this is ~20 minutes from home. I'll go on Saturday to get my race packet, and enjoy a complimentary spaghetti dinner. :)

I'd already heard/read about no new clothes for race day. My Sunday longer runs have been the same (with varying layers for warmth as needed) for a while now.
    hermann341 wrote: »
    For a little extra warmth while you're waiting for the start, wear a trashbag. You can either discard right before the start or wait until you warm up a bit. Depending on the size of the event, allow some extra time for traffic, and try to arrive 45 to 60 minutes before the start. Scope out the parking a day ahead of time if you can, or google the area. Other than the trashbag, don't wear anything you haven't worn before.

• StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Hubby has some - I have not tried it.
    Get body glide. That was a life saver for me. Don't start to fast. I always have that issue and I would get really tired quickly. It was hard for me not to run faster if I was passed. My husband told me "plan your race and race your plan." Basically don't get off of what you did while you were training.

Have fun!

• StaciMarie1974
    Options
    LOL I cried when I finished my first 5k 2 months ago. It was raining so no one noticed!
    Oh and I want to add...I cried when I finished. So be prepared for that! :D

0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've never run in a marathon but I have marshalled a number of times - as marshals we're told to watch out for runners who look 'glazed over' and have perhaps gone beyond their ability - we encourage runners to write their names on their bib number - that way the marshal can shout 'Keep going Staci Marie!' and see if they get a response. Runners - always acknowledge someone shouting support if you can, even just a nod or a weak smile reassures us that you're still OK! I've heard from participants that writing your name and getting those shouts of support from the crowd can get you through the final mile or so - everyone is willing you to finish and if they know your name they'll spur you on.