Calories vary so much

Options
i went for coffee today and had a half of a scone at the coffe place. They bake their own things and the place is not a chain.

I looked up scone when I got home. The calorie amounts varied from 540 to 140. How do you handle the wide range of calorie counts?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    what was the serving size...roughly? you would have to have some kind of notion of the serving size. with that kind of stuff, you just do the best you can...even a chain restaurant is allowed up to about 20% error in their listings because not every scone, for example is going to be just like the last scone.

this was one of the big reasons that during my weight loss i decided that eating out in general should be an occasional thing...I've carried that same notion into almost 22ish months of maintenance now without logging. Nothing wrong with eating out from time to time, but pretty much you can guarantee a lot of calories.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Guesstimate on the higher side and move on to the next thing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, I always pick the highest value.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would usually just take one of the higher end values and move on with my day - even half of 540 is only 270. However, if you want to be super meticulous you could ask for the ingredient list (pretend you have allergies) and then log the individual ingredients in the amounts you can be approximate make up one scone. That seems like a lot of work though for a difference of only possibly 200 calories (between half of 140 and half of 540).