New York Attorney General Targets Supplements at Major Retailers

Options
The New York State attorney general’s office accused four major retailers on Monday of selling fraudulent and potentially dangerous herbal supplements and demanded that they remove the products from their shelves.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/new-york-attorney-general-targets-supplements-at-major-retailers/ar-AA8VmjN

Replies

• gshifrin
    gshifrin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Pretty amazing that food and meds are federally inspected and regulated but anyone can manufacture and sell "health" supplements without any review.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    You can thank the vitamin industry for that. They lobbied hard to make sure the FDA couldn't regulate them, including a pretty big scare campaign telling consumers it would be the FDA telling them which vitamins they had to take. Consumers voted it down.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    vorgas wrote: »
    You can thank the vitamin industry for that. They lobbied hard to make sure the FDA couldn't regulate them, including a pretty big scare campaign telling consumers it would be the FDA telling them which vitamins they had to take. Consumers voted it down.

Totally true. Now we know why the vitamin industry fought so hard against regulation.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    Options
    The question is which producers put the fraudulent products out. As I have several deficiencies and have very limited access to vitamins and minerals I'd like to know which ones those are.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised and disappointed to see GNC on the list for not listing some potentially allergen producing ingredients. I've always found their products to be very high quality. No, I don't work for them, and from what I've read, I wouldn't, I can't say they treat their employees as well as they should. Not that most places do.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    Options
    GNC: I cannot get those here. Though to be honest I don't really trust those supplements I can get here in the first place. Only the cheapest ingredients available, like magnesium oxide instead of mg citrate or any of the other better ones.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Is anyone really surprised by this? That entire industry is based on BS.