Question about healthy breakfast cereal

Options
Hey guys so I'm located in Australia so I'm not sure if some of you guys would have this but its called "all bran". I was just wondering if anyone can confirm if this is a healthy option (they say that about most cereals but they are just packed with sugar)
Or if you could suggest one?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    What do you class as "healthy"?
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yes we have bran cereal here in north America. It's healthy for your colon and quite filling in my opinion. I would not recommend it everyday as wheatbran can deplete and block iron absorbtion.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think it has a lot of fiber
  • erbear117
    erbear117 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi, health nut / health food store worker here, just to give you some background. In my opinion, the healthiest boxed cereal I've found is Ezekiel brand sprouted cereals. They are pretty crunchy granola, if you know what I mean, no sugar or anything, so if you're not used to such things I'd suggest adding some fruit or giving some time to adjust to the taste. But way superior than any sugary big grocery store brands!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

This. If I want cereal I eat honey-nut Chex cereal. If I didn't have gluten issues I would eat Lucky Charms (or really, just the marshmallows).

health is based on dietary context, not individual items. If you like Cocoa Puffs/Australian version of this then eat that.
  • ana3067
    Options
    erbear117 wrote: »
    Hi, health nut / health food store worker here, just to give you some background. In my opinion, the healthiest boxed cereal I've found is Ezekiel brand sprouted cereals. They are pretty crunchy granola, if you know what I mean, no sugar or anything, so if you're not used to such things I'd suggest adding some fruit or giving some time to adjust to the taste. But way superior than any sugary big grocery store brands!

How so? It tastes worse, texture is not as pleasant as normal cereal... I choose normal cereal.
  • thekacks
    thekacks Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Healthy... yes. Palatable... no. lol
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

This. If I want cereal I eat honey-nut Chex cereal. If I didn't have gluten issues I would eat Lucky Charms (or really, just the marshmallows).

health is based on dietary context, not individual items. If you like Cocoa Puffs/Australian version of this then eat that.

Didn't they have a box of Just Marshmallows for awhile?
  • samanthacrossman973
    Options
    I think I'll just stick to blending smoothies then haha
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    Bran is good. Just remember, when you add fiber to your diet, you gotta do it gradually until your body adjusts to it. Many people get real gassy when adding fiber, and I read that, in some cases, too much fiber can actually plug you up. Good luck.
  • alaynavee
    alaynavee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    There a lots of good options for breakfast cereal, Jordan's makes a light granola that is absolutely delicious - you may find it in Australia as it's made in the UK. Kashi also make great cereals, and you can't beat good old fashioned steel cut oats or Cream of Wheat. The rule of thumb is to pick the best cereal that you actually LIKE! And by best I mean higher in fibre, lower in sugar and made with whole grains. You may have to learn to read the nutrition labels to determine the nutrients. And then mix them up! Variety is important for nutrition as well.
  • ellencreaves
    Options
    I have heard the five and dime rule...more than 5 grams of protein and less than 10 grams of sugar. If you are worried about sugar try almond milk (unsweetened) in your cereal. Kashi GoLean varieties are good-palatable and even enjoyable. :)
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I stay don't usually eat cold cereal because the single serving size doesn't usually stick with me no matter what kind. Instead I do scrambled eggs and veggies or Greek yogurt and frozen fruit with Stevia (as a smoothie with milk or a little granola stirred in - that's as close as I get to cereal) or oatmeal with a whole apple cut up in it with cinnamon and Stevia. I guess if I had it with a banana or a hard boiled egg that would help. I buy Kashi Go Lean, Special K, or Cinnamon Life for my daughter and eat it once in a while.
  • ana3067
    Options

tumblr_inline_n8haojXJgK1rm6ikc.gif
  • DebMillard
    DebMillard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    erbear117 wrote: »

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All bran is good. These may not all be available where you are but these are my favourites. I pick low glycemic, low sugar. If there is oatmeal in there somewhere, bonus. Oatmeal helps lower cholesterol.

Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, Oatmeal, Dragon's Blend (chia and hemp).

I like eating my cereal with Greek Yogurt instead of milk to up my protein.
  • 15velao
    15velao Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Uncle Sam cereals rule the world.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options

If you're willing to be flexible on shape, there's a guy who buys cereal marshmallows in bulk and resells them. Ingredients appear plausibly GF " sugar, modified cornstarch, corn syrup, dextrose, gelatin, sodium hexametaphosphate, artificial color, (red 40 yellow 6 blue 1 yellow 5) artificial flavor, natural flavor" cerealmarshmallows.com and I'm pretty sure he sells via amazon, too. The reviews say that they taste like Lucky Charms.
  • ana3067
    Options
    chouflour wrote: »

If you're willing to be flexible on shape, there's a guy who buys cereal marshmallows in bulk and resells them. Ingredients appear plausibly GF " sugar, modified cornstarch, corn syrup, dextrose, gelatin, sodium hexametaphosphate, artificial color, (red 40 yellow 6 blue 1 yellow 5) artificial flavor, natural flavor" cerealmarshmallows.com and I'm pretty sure he sells via amazon, too. The reviews say that they taste like Lucky Charms.

Unfortunately because Canadian oil prices are super cheap, our dollar is worth like 80 American cents. Or.. however that exchange rate works. So I'd be paying way more than I should be ;(
  • DeliVibes
    DeliVibes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    All Bran and Weetabix are my favourite healthy cereals! Full of fibre and filling. Just be careful not to exceed the recommended portion size. I love to have unsweetened almond milk with my cereal and sometimes chop in half a banana.