Dizzy after your workout?

Options
Anyone else out there that gets dizzy post workout? I just spent 5 minutes on the floor waiting for the room to stop spinning. It was pretty awful. I'm 99% sure that I am eating enough protein, and drinking enough water. This has just started happening recently, and I have been working out 5 days a week since November 1st, 2014. It's only happened for the last 2 days....Any advice or anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    What is your overall calorie intake? (not just protein) This happened to me a little over a week ago. I took it as a sign that I needed to eat more in general. So, I've upped my calories by about 200-250 daily. It took a few days for my body to get the message that there was more fuel there. But I'm feeling better now. Also, I find it helps to make sure I'm drinking water periodically throughout my workout. I was always getting plenty of water… but my timing has made a difference.

Are you eating anything before working out? Nothing wrong with fasting workouts… but it's not for everybody. Some people find their energy and drive lacking… but when they started eating again before their workouts… they feel better.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Carbs these are important too and are you eating enough overall calories
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough, drinking enough water? Did you take your heart rate - it should only get to about 85% of your max. Do you have any chronic conditions that would do that, are you taking medication that may result in high bp?

Sometimes I get dizzy from too much spinning - in ballet, for example, I don't know how to spot myself when I turn, so when I do turns, I'm all over the place.
  • SarahHowells1
    SarahHowells1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    1. I would say carbs are more important than protein in this instance - low blood sugars can cause dizziness/faintness and if a low blood sugars would be to occur, it would generally be after working out (especially common if you are not eating enough).

2. The next thing is tons of water. If you are dehydrated you can actually lose blood volume and experience dizziness caused by this .. has the weather been warmer over the past few days? Did you sweat more for any reason?

3. Get your blood pressure checked if this continues to be a problem for you... low blood pressure can cause faintness/dizziness.

4. Get checked for any other medical conditions by the doc!

5. As everyone said, overall calories!! Don't starve your body and over exercise!!!
  • haydiz70
    haydiz70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    ^Above stated it very well. I experienced the same thing. I would feel dizzy, almost like I was going to blackout during a good workout, and not enough energy to keep going. Turns out I wasn't eating enough. After increasing my daily calories, I haven't had the problem. 1200 calories a day wasn't cutting it for me. It would be a good idea to see a doc and get checked out too.

Btw., I had tons of heart tests and other tests last year. Everything checked out ok.
  • LBoggie77
    LBoggie77 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome replies! As it turns out I actually have an inner ear disorder. My dizziness continued and after hours of tests later I have been diagnosed with Meniere's diesease. According to my Dr. I am fit as a fiddle and as soon as my vertigo passes I am good to go again. But it's a good thing to understand and good advice to see a Dr. when your body tells you something is wrong.