herbs for hypothyroidism

Options
My doctor will not help me since I'm "within peramaters" but from searching the internet and such, I do have hypothroidism. I'm looking into taking herbs and wonder if anyone else has gone this way. Which herbs worked? Which didn't? I'm currently taking some (started yesterday) so I know it'll take time before I can tell if it works or not.

thanks

Replies

• jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time my doctor said my thyroid was borderline low. Not quite to the point where I needed synthroid, but close. He told me to take a Vit B12 every day because in some people it has been known to help. It helped a little with me

However, all it did was delay needing synthroid for a few years.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    mamadragon wrote: »
    My doctor will not help me since I'm "within peramaters" but from searching the internet and such, I do have hypothroidism. I'm looking into taking herbs and wonder if anyone else has gone this way. Which herbs worked? Which didn't? I'm currently taking some (started yesterday) so I know it'll take time before I can tell if it works or not.

thanks

If your doctor says you are within normal parameters, you do not have hypothyroidism, regardless of what you read online.

Hypothyroidism (real not self diagnosed) is treated with medication, not herbs. Herbs will not help.
  • foxlme
    foxlme Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Assuming you've had your bloodwork tested from your comment about being in parameters- by chance did your doc include Vitamin D levels? I'd assumed for a long time I was hypothyroid because of my own symptoms and family history, but always got that same "you're fine, you're within normal range" speech. My last bloodwork included Vitamin D and found out I'm WAY below normal there. I was put on vitamin D supplements and felt a big difference.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Self-diagnosing based on the internet is unwise. If I went by what the internet tells me I've got MS and a brain tumor.

If you're unhappy with your doctor seek a second opinion, but don't self-diagnose/medicate.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    mamadragon wrote: »

thanks

*Parameters.

If you're thyroid is normal, you're normal. Adding to this, there's no herb that can alter your thyroid hormone levels.

So, you do not have hypothyroidism. What makes you think you do?
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    If your doctor says you are within normal parameters, you do not have hypothyroidism, regardless of what you read online.

Hypothyroidism (real not self diagnosed) is treated with medication, not herbs. Herbs will not help.

What she said. And OP, how would you determine if the herbs were working?
    I know some people want to go the "natural" path, but I'm sticking to my Synthroid. I think if it was as easy as herbs or diet alterations, we'd all be doing it.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Blood work may be inconclusive when diagnosing thyroid problems. I have Hashimoto's and had to get a Fine Needle Aspiration before I was correctly diagnosed. Blood work showed nothing, so get a second opinion. Don't count on the internet, it's 99% crap with a 1% of maybe.

But if you want to help your endocrine system, vitamin D, b12 and regular bs are very good. There's a few other "natural" things coming up on the horizon, but unfortunately, if it wasn't for levothyroxine / synthroid, I'd be dead.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally done enough research yet (working on it, though) to decide whether or not I truly believe in this, but there is some compelling evidence out there that someone can have all of the symptoms of hypothyroidism and greatly benefit from traditional treatments for hypothyroidism even though their bloodwork falls into "normal" parameters. Some doctors live and die by the blood test results, some doctors are willing to try to treat the symptoms despite what the tests say. OP, if you truly feel that you may need treatment for a health condition, I urge you to get a second opinion rather than try to self-medicate with potentially dangerous herbs.
  • procolorer
    procolorer Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    irleshay wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »

What she said. And OP, how would you determine if the herbs were working?
    I know some people want to go the "natural" path, but I'm sticking to my Synthroid. I think if it was as easy as herbs or diet alterations, we'd all be doing it.

I agree with these too. I wish my doctor would tell me my thyroid was in normal parameters. That'd be the best news I've heard in years.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Doctor Google is the worst doctor ever. According to him, I've had cancer at least 4 times.

Thyroid symptoms aren't enough to diagnose the problem, and are vague enough to be signs of plenty of other things.

The only way to properly diagnose hypothyroidism is through blood testing. If you've been tested and test within normal parameters and you don't have antibodies, you don't have it in any form.

If you're tired, eat well and exercise and practice good sleep hygiene. Feeling more tired than usual is part of getting older.

If you feel cold, it's winter. Are you getting older? Feeling colder as you age is normal.

Are you putting on weight? Are you getting older? Your caloric needs change as you age. Plug your stats into the site, create a caloric deficit, weigh and measure your food and you'll lose weight.

Hair and nails dry? Again, it's winter. This happens in winter.

I just gave a few examples of common hypothyroid symptoms that are very easily explained in other ways.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    I haven't personally done enough research yet (working on it, though) to decide whether or not I truly believe in this, but there is some compelling evidence out there that someone can have all of the symptoms of hypothyroidism and greatly benefit from traditional treatments for hypothyroidism even though their bloodwork falls into "normal" parameters. Some doctors live and die by the blood test results, some doctors are willing to try to treat the symptoms despite what the tests say. OP, if you truly feel that you may need treatment for a health condition, I urge you to get a second opinion rather than try to self-medicate with potentially dangerous herbs.

The doctors who treat things despite normal parameters are the ones losing their licenses, usually. Treating symptoms is also not the same as treating the cause. It's why I had to wait 2 years for my numbers to go out of the parameters to be treated, to make sure what was suspected was true. It's also the reason I wasn't treated for diabetes when it was suspected, because it turned out not to be diabetes. There's a reason the tests are there, and it's to prevent the kind of quackery you're promoting.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    ahavoc wrote: »
    Blood work may be inconclusive when diagnosing thyroid problems. I have Hashimoto's and had to get a Fine Needle Aspiration before I was correctly diagnosed. Blood work showed nothing, so get a second opinion. Don't count on the internet, it's 99% crap with a 1% of maybe.

But if you want to help your endocrine system, vitamin D, b12 and regular bs are very good. There's a few other "natural" things coming up on the horizon, but unfortunately, if it wasn't for levothyroxine / synthroid, I'd be dead.

I don't understand why you needed an aspiration if you have Hashi's. An antibody screen is a normal part of an initial thyroid work-up. Your Hashi's would have been picked up that way. You've got an interesting doctor for sure.

• Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

I don't understand why you needed an aspiration if you have Hashi's. An antibody screen is a normal part of an initial thyroid work-up. Your Hashi's would have been picked up that way. You've got an interesting doctor for sure.

perhaps it was a growth that caused that FNA.

I'm set up for one of those due to a growth on my thyroid. If you only go by my TSH levels, everything is groovy. The others I had to pitch a fit to make them check and they are off to say the least.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    "My doctor says I'm fine, but the INTERNET says I'm not." Who needs medical doctors and exams, when obviously Google is so much more accurate.

:huh:
  • PeachyCarol
    edited February 2015
    Options

I'm set up for one of those due to a growth on my thyroid. If you only go by my TSH levels, everything is groovy. The others I had to pitch a fit to make them check and they are off to say the least.

Oh, I understand a growth leading to having a FNA performed. I don't understand a lack of a Hashi's diagnosis during initial bloodwork and until the FNA. That's bad doctoring, right there.

ETA: They only ran your TSH on your initial work-up? Is that standard now? When I was first diagnosed (a looooooooong time ago), they ran a full panel and an antibody screen.

• Danilynn1975
    Options

Oh, I understand a growth leading to having a FNA performed. I don't understand a lack of a Hashi's diagnosis during initial bloodwork and until the FNA. That's bad doctoring, right there.

there's been a big thing lately that a lot of doctors refuse to test more than the TSH levels in some areas. some insurance companies are only paying for that one test.

I had to pay out of pocket to get my others tested. Even after the ultrasound showed something off. It was the combination of the ultrasound and a visible lump in conjunction with my out of pocket paid for tests that got me a referral insurance would cover to the endocrinologist
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

there's been a big thing lately that a lot of doctors refuse to test more than the TSH levels in some areas. some insurance companies are only paying for that one test.

I had to pay out of pocket to get my others tested. Even after the ultrasound showed something off. It was the combination of the ultrasound and a visible lump in conjunction with my out of pocket paid for tests that got me a referral insurance would cover to the endocrinologist

I am sputtering with rage on your behalf. And on the behalf of all the other people who come up against this nonsense.

They should at least cover antibody screening, especially since Hashimoto's is the leading cause of hypothyroidism.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, think about this...you may have something completely different that is causing whatever symptoms you have. Or you may have nothing. Either way, self-medicating using herbs suggested by teh interwebz isn't a good idea. Best case scenario, they'll do nothing for you. Worst case, you could be ignoring something that needs a doctor's care and making yourself worse.

Or another worst case, you could make yourself sick taking shady supplements. That does happen.
  • Danilynn1975
    Options

I am sputtering with rage on your behalf. And on the behalf of all the other people who come up against this nonsense.

They should at least cover antibody screening, especially since Hashimoto's is the leading cause of hypothyroidism.

out of pocket to me to get that appointment..$1500.00 not counting a doctor visit to authorize it so I could pay out of pocket. Had to drive 3 hours to New Orleans on top of it to get that blood work and doctor willing to let me.