should I bulk up?

Options
2»

Replies

• zoohockey
    zoohockey Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You can bulk while keeping body fat low. You have to be meticulous with your diet. I've been bulking/surplus whatever you want to call it for the past 5 months. I've maintained less than 10% body fat and gained 1lb of muscle a month. Those who bulk with junk food and pizza only gain fat and not much else. Food timing is most important.
    Well who exactly is bulking with pizza and what you call just food and not much else?
    Meal timing isn't the most important. It's actually towards the bottom of the importance list.

could you explain what you believe is the more important stuff?
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    MrM27- It may be towards the bottom of your importance list but not everyone. Some people don't want to bulk and only get fat. If that's what you like then by all means.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    blah blah blah, IDK what I'm talking about blah blah blah. Those who bulk with junk food and pizza gain fat and muscle holding calories at an equal level. Food timing is least important.

Fixed it for you
  • zoohockey
    Options
    mrM27- thank you, I will Deff look into that a lot more
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ^^Yeah I'd be interested to hear how he has had success bulking like that.

Didn't you decide you weren't even bulking? Now you're worried about meal timing when you don't even train properly?
    True, but it sounds like he's been able to accomplish exactly what I originally intended to do.

• elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Meal/nutrient timing is hugely overstated in the bodybuilding and fitness community, unfortunately. Yea, there might be an extremely slight benefit in timing, but there's absolutely no way that it will give you a noticeable difference in your progress in the long run. Many people don't realize that muscle synthesis occurs over about a 72 hour period, and peaks around 24 hours or so after working out the body part trained*. So downing that protein shake or chicken breast right after lifting isn't necessary.

I've posted this before, but I think you'll find it helpful. Omar knows his stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xTOVasoBdU

*I'm stating this from memory, but please feel free to research this and correct me if I'm way off

• zoohockey
    Options
    thanks guys!!!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Meal timing - my approach adopted from Matt Fitzgerald and a few others, plus my experience.
    - Protein I decided after research is best spread out, I personally eat 3 meals a day and a snack, so it's .8g per pound of body weight OR 1g per pound of lean mass. Spreading out the protein ensures a constant stream of amino acids for repair.
    - Carbs, I aim to get higher carb intake 2/3 hours BEFORE my workout, of different release or slower release stuff like oats and bananas. High release stuff like glucose, for DURING workout (if you're going over lactate threshold for more than an hour). I will go over calories with drinks so prefer to eat real food though. AFTER workout slam some fast release white starchy carbs within an hour to transport amino acid to muscle cells, along with protein. This speeds repair for next day.
    - So I work, and a lot of athletes on a four hour window.
    - Some only eat slow release and limit carbs outside the window. It makes sense if you're a high performance athlete with calorie limits to keep weight down.
  • zoohockey
    Options
    Meal timing - my approach adopted from Matt Fitzgerald and a few others, plus my experience.
    - Protein I decided after research is best spread out, I personally eat 3 meals a day and a snack, so it's .8g per pound of body weight OR 1g per pound of lean mass. Spreading out the protein ensures a constant stream of amino acids for repair.
    - Carbs, I aim to get higher carb intake 2/3 hours BEFORE my workout, of different release or slower release stuff like oats and bananas. High release stuff like glucose, for DURING workout (if you're going over lactate threshold for more than an hour). I will go over calories with drinks so prefer to eat real food though. AFTER workout slam some fast release white starchy carbs within an hour to transport amino acid to muscle cells, along with protein. This speeds repair for next day.
    - So I work, and a lot of athletes on a four hour window.
    - Some only eat slow release and limit carbs outside the window. It makes sense if you're a high performance athlete with calorie limits to keep weight down.

thanks! very helpful