How to gain weight with a quick metabolism?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You may consider strength training to build muscle, if you aren't already. Plus high protein/fat rich foods.

that is not going to do anything if OP is not in a surplus.
  • allenbrowning
    allenbrowning Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I used to make a healthy weight gainer shake that was 1200+ calories. Magic ingredient was coconut oil. The shake consisted of oats, protein powder, cocoa powder, my homemade peanut butter, whole milk, coconut oil, whole eggs, and a banana
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I used to make a healthy weight gainer shake that was 1200+ calories. Magic ingredient was coconut oil. The shake consisted of oats, protein powder, cocoa powder, my homemade peanut butter, whole milk, coconut oil, whole eggs, and a banana

Thanks for the recipe, sounds delicious.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Lots of calories and consistency. :) Finding a specific weight gain program and sticking to that until the goal weight is reached will take the stress out of thinking about it.
  • bodybyburgers
    bodybyburgers Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    For every person that has told me they have a "quick metabolism" and can't gain weight I always have the same answer: You're eating at maintenance or less. I bet if one at 600-1000 calorie meals every 3 hours, they would gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I've run into the exact same thing with people, and share this view 100%
  • Melody_MCV
    Options
    Melody_MCV wrote: »
    To help slow down your metabolism and gain weight do the opposite of what people do to lose weight. Eat fewer, bigger meals. Your body will react by storing food instead of burning it, because the time between meals is longer.

Quite simply untrue. Many people here lose on two or even one big meal a day. You're peddling a myth.

OP cut the exercise and activity right back and eat high fat, high carb food but not more than about 20g of sat fat a day, your diary can track that. Eat your veggies for nutrition and aim for 100g of protein a day.
    MrM27 wrote: »
    To help slow down your metabolism and gain weight do the opposite of what people do to lose weight. Eat fewer, bigger meals. Your body will react by storing food instead of burning it, because the time between meals is longer.

Just a completely false answer. Everyone should ignore the answer above.

OP, the answer is simple. Eat more food.

Let me rephrase that because no where did I say eat 1-2 meals. SPACE YOUR MEALS OUT. When you eat frequently, your body is used to that and disregards the need to store any of it. Spacing your meals out will force your body to store more of it to last until the next time you eat, thus gaining weight.

"Step 3
    Space your meals out more to slow down your metabolism. According to Cooking Light magazine, the more frequently you eat, the faster your metabolism runs and the more calories your body burns. Therefore, if you eat only three times per day instead of snacking often and having five or six meals per day, you will slow down your metabolism and gain weight."
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/69031-slow-down-metabolism-gain-weight/#page=2
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Quite simply untrue. Many people here lose on two or even one big meal a day. You're peddling a myth.

OP cut the exercise and activity right back and eat high fat, high carb food but not more than about 20g of sat fat a day, your diary can track that. Eat your veggies for nutrition and aim for 100g of protein a day.

Just a completely false answer. Everyone should ignore the answer above.

OP, the answer is simple. Eat more food.

Let me rephrase that because no where did I say eat 1-2 meals. SPACE YOUR MEALS OUT. When you eat frequently, your body is used to that and disregards the need to store any of it. Spacing your meals out will force your body to store more of it to last until the next time you eat, thus gaining weight.

"Step 3
    Space your meals out more to slow down your metabolism. According to Cooking Light magazine, the more frequently you eat, the faster your metabolism runs and the more calories your body burns. Therefore, if you eat only three times per day instead of snacking often and having five or six meals per day, you will slow down your metabolism and gain weight."
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/69031-slow-down-metabolism-gain-weight/#page=2

No the timing of meals has very little affect on mrtabolism and you need better sources. Can that magazine it's crap.
  • Melody_MCV
    Options
    I don't care to argue with you, @MrM27‌, @Wheelhouse15‌ or even with @Springfield1970‌. The information is there. I'm gonna leave it at that.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Bro-science.
  • allyourbases
    allyourbases Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't care to argue with you, @MrM27‌, @Wheelhouse15‌ or even with @Springfield1970‌. The information is there. I'm gonna leave it at that.

Misinformation.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    la_twh wrote: »
    I'm looking to gain 15 lbs. My metabolism isn't making this easy though? Any advice on gaining weight healthily with a quick metabolism? All advice is appreciated.

What everyone has said above with the odd exception. Eat more. I had the same problem until I upped my calorie level to the amount I'm at. Eat unsalted nuts, fruits, veg, pasta, rice, potatoes, peanut butter, bread, etc. Also cut down any cardio exercise you are doing to none or once a week. I've done the above & thankfully I'm increasing. Good luck. Add me if you want.
  • Melody_MCV
    Options
    Of course the information you got is there. It's just wrong. Everyone in this thread knows it and those that are just lurking this thread should know it. Melody, you are wrong. Have a nice day. You may bow out now as you planned.

Thank you! I appreciate your kindness, have a good one.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

We don't expect you to defend such erroneous statements but we would prefer you not make them in the first place.
  • Amanelot
    Amanelot Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have a high metabolism. I don't even think I have a high metabolism and I cut at 3600 calories. How active is your life style? If you're very active you will have to eat a lot to gain
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    OP unlimited pizza.
  • Melody_MCV
    Options

We don't expect you to defend such erroneous statements but we would prefer you not make them in the first place.

Relax, first off this is a community, a public forum. I appreciate your attempts to debunk my statements but that's still no need to be butt hurt about it. Either way, I stand by it.