Newbie, determined to win the war.

Options
2»

Replies

• bardiatalabi
    bardiatalabi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm in similar shoes as yours. When I first started, I weighed around 287 lbs. Today, I weigh 262. The work is far from over!

I feel that the key to starting your journey is the gym. You need to find a way to dedicate one hour out of your 24 to get to the gym. Once there, you gotta take it slow. Brisk walks on a treadmill is a great start and when you become comfortable that's when it's time to change it up. Add in the inclines, add in some jogging.

All of us here believe in you and everyone else!

Cheers to health, wealth, success, and happiness.
  • iandrew124
    iandrew124 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    mandiRN1 wrote: »
    One of the posts noted that she uses the Garmin Vivofit to help track activity, I also use a Vivofit and absolutely love it. I did many reviews on others such as Fitbit etc. but Vivofit was the one for me. It's not to big and bulky to wear, water proof so I literally wear it 24/7, has a small screen so I can see everything at a glance and use it for a watch. Great price also, <$100 if you get on without the heart rate band. And it syncs with MFP! Love it!! Good luck with your journey, I'm only 2 weeks in so I know exactly where your at and what your thinking. Keep your chin up and keep moving forward. I have already seen some progress in the short time I have started, you will also :)

I'll look into the vivofit o: I've only been researching bands that many people have been saying amazing reviews,maybe the vivofit is an underdog band and I may just enjoy it better than others. xD
    But you are correct in keepigmy chinup xD I've noticed a lot more what I've eaten and how much calories I was taking in daily and so now I always look at the nutrition list on the back of everything before I eat it or buy it,its also keeping me from buying fast food. xD
  • iandrew124
    Options
    Btbeam wrote: »
    Welcome I have lost 110 lbs with 140 to go. I will be here for the long haul feel free to add me.

Oh wow! That's amazing! :DD Congratulations! I will happily add you. :3 My goal is to lose 100 so hopefully I can reach it. X)
  • iandrew124
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm in similar shoes as yours. When I first started, I weighed around 287 lbs. Today, I weigh 262. The work is far from over!

I feel that the key to starting your journey is the gym. You need to find a way to dedicate one hour out of your 24 to get to the gym. Once there, you gotta take it slow. Brisk walks on a treadmill is a great start and when you become comfortable that's when it's time to change it up. Add in the inclines, add in some jogging.

All of us here believe in you and everyone else!

Cheers to health, wealth, success, and happiness.

Thank you! And yes, the road is just beginning so there is a ton of work to put in but yeah, I have been hitting the gym for about 1-2 hours depending on how much time I can decicare that day, I am actually running about a mile and then jogging 2-4 miles with some wieght training in the end and some basketball to cool down. Hopefully I'm using my time wisely. xD

Thank you again! :3
  • rlamons1
    rlamons1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey Andrew!
    Firstly, YOU CAN DO THIS.
    I too know the struggle trying to learn healthy habits throughout a busy schedule. (This has been my struggle)
    Try meal prepping!
    It may seem like an ordeal but I was able to prep 3 days worth of food for two people (shopping included) within 3hrs. This will really pay off with keeping you on track....
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    My best advice: Meal prep and pre-logging. You can have really easy and quick meals that are still on the healthier side if you've prepped your meals.

As an example, I buy extra lean ground beef and separate it into 100 gram portions (4 oz) into little freezer bags, then freeze. Making a homemade burger has never been quicker or easier!

I bake veggie burger patties in the oven, then freeze in tupperware with wax paper in between each patty. Heat and eat!

I slice tomatoes and strip spinach stalks and store them in the fridge, then I can just grab them and top my sandwiches with plenty of veggies without having to chop, slice, and dice.

I keep plenty of turkey deli meat and boiled eggs (you can boil an entire carton at a time and they'll keep perfectly in the fridge!) for really quick meals; I can whip up a turkey, egg, and cheese sandwich with tomatoes and spinach in 5 minutes flat.

As for pre-logging, I check what I have in my fridge at night and decide what I'm going to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner the next day, factoring in how much time I'll have on my hands, how quick the meal needs to be, and whether I have leftovers available that need polishing off.

All the best!
  • iandrew124
    Options
    rlamons1 wrote: »
    Hey Andrew!
    Firstly, YOU CAN DO THIS.
    I too know the struggle trying to learn healthy habits throughout a busy schedule. (This has been my struggle)
    Try meal prepping!
    It may seem like an ordeal but I was able to prep 3 days worth of food for two people (shopping included) within 3hrs. This will really pay off with keeping you on track....

Hey there! O:
    Haha yeah, the struggle to eat healthy. ;- ; But yes, that's exactly what's been on my mind today. I've been thinking about doing a weeks worth of food and snacks this weekend.
    - but yes, you are right, it will pay off. I just have to find good recipes so I can cook. :3
  • iandrew124
    Options
    My best advice: Meal prep and pre-logging. You can have really easy and quick meals that are still on the healthier side if you've prepped your meals.

As an example, I buy extra lean ground beef and separate it into 100 gram portions (4 oz) into little freezer bags, then freeze. Making a homemade burger has never been quicker or easier!

I bake veggie burger patties in the oven, then freeze in tupperware with wax paper in between each patty. Heat and eat!

I slice tomatoes and strip spinach stalks and store them in the fridge, then I can just grab them and top my sandwiches with plenty of veggies without having to chop, slice, and dice.

I keep plenty of turkey deli meat and boiled eggs (you can boil an entire carton at a time and they'll keep perfectly in the fridge!) for really quick meals; I can whip up a turkey, egg, and cheese sandwich with tomatoes and spinach in 5 minutes flat.

As for pre-logging, I check what I have in my fridge at night and decide what I'm going to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner the next day, factoring in how much time I'll have on my hands, how quick the meal needs to be, and whether I have leftovers available that need polishing off.

All the best!

Oh wow, thank you xD Yes, I was thinking of this all day today and how I would go about doing it since I also live with other family members. But thank you for the advice and examples. :3