TDEE...Grrr...

Okay, so I am one step closer to not being as confused, but I am still confused. I wanted to make sure I was eating enough. A friend suggested following this post:
http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
So I did and it was helpful. When it came down to it my TDEE was 2237. Minus 20% of that puts me at 1790. So does this include my exercise calories which I burn 200 daily 7 days a week? Or is this the number I put in for daily intake then after exercise that would put me at 1990? If that's the case then I've been eating too few calories. I want to lose weight, but I want to do it the right way. I'm so confused by this whole thing. Help?

Replies

• bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    the 1790 would be your min.
    if you work out, then you add back the burned calories and eat them too
    FYI many people, find better results with only eating back about 1/2-1/3 of the exercise calroies, depends on how much you have to lose though
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    If you are using your activity level to calculate your TDEE then you DO NOT eat back exercise calories, because they are accounted for in the calculation. If you use sedentary to calculate your TDEE then you do eat back exercise calories, because they are not calculated for. Most people use TDEE so they do not have to worry about adding exercise cals back in.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    If you are using your activity level to calculate your TDEE then you DO NOT eat back exercise calories, because they are accounted for in the calculation. If you use sedentary to calculate your TDEE then you do eat back exercise calories, because they are not calculated for. Most people use TDEE so they do not have to worry about adding exercise cals back in.

^ This. Using MFP eat cals back, using TDEE don't eat them back as they are included in the number you backed 20% off of.
  • StantonLeFort
    StantonLeFort Posts: 18 Member

Great answer Palmerar!
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    ^^^^^^This
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Double post!!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    the 1790 would be your min.
    if you work out, then you add back the burned calories and eat them too
    FYI many people, find better results with only eating back about 1/2-1/3 of the exercise calroies, depends on how much you have to lose though

No, not if your daily exercise burn was accurately reflected by your activity modifier when calculating TDEE.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I would suggest calculating your TDEE using your actual activity level and also using sedentary. That way, you know how many calories you are being allotted for exercise (the difference between the two numbers). If you are not eating back your exercise calories because you are using the elevated TDEE, it is nice to know if you are burning enough calories to compensate for the difference. (When I started, I used the sedentary TDEE and ate back my exercise calories).
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    you don't add back your exercise calories and eat them... they are already included. just eat your TDEE and workout normally because it is already calculated for you.
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    If you use TDEE you DON'T eat exercise cals back, because that's already calculated in your TDEE number.
  • WonTaunTaun
    WonTaunTaun Posts: 87 Member
    Thanks all. It's starting to make a little more sense. I've decided to stick with the Guided goal setting but just bumped my activity level up. I used to have it on Sedentary because I do have a desk job, but before and after work are very active and busy for me not including my exercise routine. The only reason I was wondering about it all was because I have been tired and a bit cranky. I'm pretty sure it's because I wasn't eating enough calories. I've changed some things, so I'll see how this goes for a couple of weeks. :) I appreciate the feedback from you all.