non-meat high protein breakfast ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• leyla87
    leyla87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I mix 0% fat Greek yogurt into oats as well as protein powder. Makes thick and creamy oatmeal.
  • gbers
    gbers Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    wow!!! i thank all of you for your awesome, inspiring and delicious suggestions!! i can't wait to go grocery shopping (which i usually hate!) :)
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My fruit and quark/Greek yogurt (200gr) breakfast comes in at 21gr of protein and under 300kcals (so you could have more depending on your cal needs). You could add protein powder too, I have in the past, it's tasty.

Egg whites are a good protein source too, I used to add those to my oatmeal (just make sure you keep stirring very well while just after adding them). Of course, you could just make an egg white omelet.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Greek or Icelandic yogurt, kefir, egg white omelette. I keep 4 oz bags of diced chicken in my fridge and freezer and eat it with hummus on my workout days.
  • miratime
    miratime Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

135cals for breakfast is kind of depressing as frack, though. I'm guessing your pancakes are tiny.

Eh, I get really sluggish with a big breakfast and as a workday meal it gets me from about 7am to my morning snack at 10, which is all I really need--I prefer to save my cals for dinner if possible. About 4 inches in diameter but pretty thin.

Different strokes. :) Someone who needs more morning calories could certainly make fewer/bigger pancakes for larger portions!
  • shannonstube
    shannonstube Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with the protein granola mixed in. I've also seen a lot of people say they mix protein powder in, but I haven't tried that.
  • sizzlii
    Options
    Tofu scramble! Google it, there are tons of recipes to suit your tastes.
  • _monicagarner
    _monicagarner Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    miratime wrote: »
    I premake a batch of protein pancakes on the weekend and freeze them, then pull out a serving to thaw the night before and reheat at work. The last batch I made had about 21 pancakes (1/4 cup batter per pancake) and each pancake was around 45 calories. I typically eat 3 for breakfast and they have 2g fat, 11g carbs, and 18g protein in a serving of 3 (this will vary based on your ingredients, of course!). Yummy!

Here's what's in my base recipe:

2 cups egg whites (I whip these a bit for a better texture/lift)
    1 cup greek yogurt (I use plain/traditional because it has a little fat)
    1 cup wheat bran (I pulverize this in the blender until it's like flour)
    2 scoops protein powder
    Water as needed - to thin out the mixture to a normal "pancake batter" consistency.

I also add various flavors to mix it up. So far I've been using vanilla protein powder with a few shakes of cinnamon but next time I might do chocolate powder and some PB2 or instant coffee crystals. You could also add frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries, bananas)... I don't see myself getting bored experimenting with these anytime soon!

That's not a lot of protein for 3 pancakes imo :/ Here's my recipe for the last time I made protein pancakes (took out the blueberries since I don't usually add 2 fruit in there):

- Water as needed
    - 30g large flake oats (ground)
    - scoop PP
    - 1 egg white (~32g)
    - 1 banana (113g for the last time I made it)
    - optional: greek yogurt as desired.

Macros without yogurt:
    2g fat, 45g carbs, 35g protein. ~330 cals

If I make it with yogurt (~100g):
    ~400 cals, 5g fat, 48g carbs, 45g protein.

135cals for breakfast is kind of depressing as frack, though. I'm guessing your pancakes are tiny.

Calm down not everybody likes eating 400 calories for breakfast...
  • daddylawbucks
    daddylawbucks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My "secret breakfast" is 8 oz strong coffee (espresso) mixed in a blender with 2 packets of vanilla "Z Pro 25" from Natural Health Labs and ice and water. It makes 2 liters of a strong coffee-flavored drink. That espresso jolts me awake, and the Z Pro 25 is high in protein. It's roughly 286 calories, 50 units of protein.