Eating out and still sticking to your diet and loosing weight

This is something im really struggling with at the moment having a lot of occasions coming up and trying to lose 2.5 stone for May so i have a full 3 months.
Most of the time when i eat out it completely throws me off, not knowing what is actually in the food is hard to count, some menus say under 700 calories but its still not exact, I know some people have a cheat night once a week but that stalls my weight loss :(
Opinions and experience would be grateful, Thanks :)

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Eat out less often

Invite people to yours for meals so you can weigh and count

Check online menus and look for nutritional guidance and pre-log

Save up calories during the week so you can 'afford' extra at the weekend

Pre-log all alcoholic drinks so you know your limit, intersperse them with sparkling water

Offer to drive so you're not drinking

When in doubt go for plain protein .. chicken or fish and vegetables .. put the dressing on the side, put everything on the side

Check portion size pictures and err on the side of caution

Avoid the nibbly things and starters
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    I haven't done very well with this either. I try to pick low carb options, like meat and veggies to keep my calories down. Alcohol screws me up every time so I'm cutting way back.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Whenever possible, pre-log and preplan.
    Save up calories and exercise to earn extra.
    Watch your portion sizes (just because it's on the plate doesn't mean you have to eat it all).
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    My rules for eating out - do research beforehand. If you can go to place that puts their calorie counts online - do so. Much easier. Most Chains are required to - I chose Cheesecake Factory last night because I knew I could balance what I wanted with what I should eat.

If you can't do that, pick a healthy meal and eat half. I tend to ask for a box when I order so when the food comes I can put 1/2 in the box so I don't over eat. Beware of salad dressings. If they don't have a light or fat free option, you are better ordering an entree, grilled meat (even steak), and substitute the starch for a veggie if you can't fit those calories in your day. Beware of sauces, that's where the calories live! Sauted or Fried is also a big tip off that the calories will be higher. Baked and Grilled are "good" words.

Another tip - skip apps, bread and dessert. Or do dessert and skip wine/beer/booze. You can enjoy yourself but you have to "play" with what you can eat. Also, on the days I know I'll be eating out (with BF or friends, planned ahead), I'll eat less or less calorie things earlier in the day and keep my calories for the evening so I don't feel deprived.

Good luck. It's easier when you find a balance, but that takes a few months to find.
  • If at all possible, go online to look at their menu.

Pre-decide what you will and will not have.

Then plan the rest of your eating day around that if you know that meal out will be heavier in calories than usual.

Key to eating out while staying on track is PLANNING ahead.

Good luck!