Weight Loss Troubles

Options
2»

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    think of the density of your body composition this way... a pound of muscle will fit into a small box than a pound of fat... with a lofty goal such as yours there's a real likelihood that you will begin damaging your internal organs. high levels of cardio will result in some real solid fitness gains, BUT with a very high level of self deprivation your body will consume as much muscle and internal protein as it needs to cope with the physical effort your exerting... less muscle.. means you will become weaker and your thought processes will become less clear. your body is an organic machine that requires proper nutrition and a significant activity level to function the way it was designed to... so... review your premise and start fresh with this idea... YOU didn't achieve your maximum weight and fitness level in 2-3 months... so it will take MUCH longer than that to achieve your weight loss goals safely. Think about this as a journey towards developing a healthy sustainable lifestyle. in order to make it you will need to begin thinking about how you achieved your current state, then you will have to adjust your mindset, alter or rid yourself of long standing habits, and develop of a positive frame of mind because this journey is filled with doubt, self loathing, anger, fear, anxiety, despondence.. just to name a few of the emotions you will go through.

The good news is...YOU have started... welcome... and best of luck to you. I am open to new friends
  • jojokmack
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    ....with a very high level of self deprivation your body will consume as much muscle and internal protein as it needs to cope with the physical effort your exerting... less muscle.. means you will become weaker and your thought processes will become less clear. your body is an organic machine that requires proper nutrition and a significant activity level to function the way it was designed to... so... review your premise and start fresh with this idea... YOU didn't achieve your maximum weight and fitness level in 2-3 months... so it will take MUCH longer than that to achieve your weight loss goals safely. ...
    It's a marathon, not a sprint. Take your time and it will stay off, rush and you will more than likely put it back on in a short amount of time. GOOD LUCK, you are here and that is the biggest step toward your lifestyle change. :)

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    djones195 wrote: »
    Thank you, superkiki! I actually allow myself soda (I need one tasty thing in my diet or I won't survive lol) but I think the biggest thing for me has been exercise so far. I do between 2 and 4 hours of cardio per day through indoor cycling and I stay away from strength training since muscle weighs more than fat. Are you doing any strength training because that may be the issue on your end. :smile:

Why on earth would you deliberately avoid maintaining muscle? There is absolutely no way you'd be in danger of gaining any muscle with what you're currently doing. You're probably losing massive amounts along with the fat. What you're trying to do is crazy dangerous and unhealthy- cut back on cardio, do some strength training to retain your muscles and aim for a 2lb per week loss.

Oh man, this! ^^^^^ 1000%.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    LizTiz42 wrote: »
    A 28.8 pound weight loss during a month is dangerous and has to be mostly water weight. Aiming for a pound of weight loss per day is setting yourself up for failure. The loss will be unsustainable once you stop "dieting" and aim for weight maintenance. Please reconsider your goals and try for about 1-2 pounds per week. Also incorporate foods that you like into your meal plan or again, weight will start to creep back on once you go back to your normal eating pattern. Change your food and exercise habits for life, not just for a period of time. It is the only way to maintain lost weight.

With the way he's eating, I think it's a fair amount of fat he's losing too. I agree with the rest. :)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Dan's not gonna be around long, is he?

Come on back after you crash and burn, Dan, when you're ready to take this seriously, and ask for help. We'll still all be here.
  • djones195
    Options
    That's why I'm here, Sergeant. I've already lost a decent amount of weight in a short time but I'm trying to keep my pace from slowing down. Based on myfitnesspal, I should be eating 1,560 calories per day to lose 2 pounds per week. I always hit between 1,400 and 2,000 (usually in the upper range) but I'm just adding more exercise to the mix. I could use constructive criticism similar to what some of the others have given me, not what you are saying.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    djones195 wrote: »
    That's why I'm here, Sergeant. I've already lost a decent amount of weight in a short time but I'm trying to keep my pace from slowing down. Based on myfitnesspal, I should be eating 1,560 calories per day to lose 2 pounds per week. I always hit between 1,400 and 2,000 (usually in the upper range) but I'm just adding more exercise to the mix. I could use constructive criticism similar to what some of the others have given me, not what you are saying.

But, you haven't really demonstrated that you understand what we're tellimg you or are going to make any effort to change to healthier goals. It's not 'just adding more exercise' if you end up netting close to zero or negative calories. You're literally leaving your body nothing to run on. Have you ever heard the term 'exercise bulimia'?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In addition to the unsustainability of your current method, I am concerned with what is going to happen when you hit your goal weight. What you have detailed so far does not indicate that you are learning healthy habits. It's much more in line with crash dieting measures than healthy life skills.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't understand

You're male and you want to weigh 135lbs and drop muscle? How tall are you? What is your ideal body type? Are you transitioning or something?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    NO--not healthy, not safe and even if you could lose that fast, you would not be likely to maintain the loss.