David Sunflower Seeds, are they a smart snack?

Options
When I am eating several small meals, I feel like I am always hungry.
I love eating seeds, meaning putting a handful in my mouth, spitting out the shell and eating the seed.
I count the calories, but realize the salt on the shell increases sodium some.
This does however curb my appetite, probably because it takes all day to eat a serving.

So would you consider these a good snack or one to avoid.

Replies

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I ate them all the time when I started losing weight and had no problems. The sodium might make you retain water, but for me, it kept me from eating other, more calorie dense snacks. I think I ate them almost every day during the first 50#s lost.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I will increase my water intake to help deal with the sodium but like said above, keeps my mind of other foods higher in calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Seeds are good. Only issue I have is how people spit them out. Some actually just spit them out anywhere, whereas others will use a cup or container then throw them away.
    Lol, what's annoying is watching a bunch of grown men in MLB spitting out shells over the railing into the field.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    dbkyser wrote: »
    probably because it takes all day to eat a serving.

I consider them a great snack, for exactly the reason quoted above. And they are delicious!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Whatever works! I am eating popcorn at the moment for my "crunchy snack".

We also do nuts esp. pistachios but sometimes we have to change it up.
  • zchastain
    zchastain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Seeds are my go-to road snack. On days when I have a lot of windshield time a bag of seeds keeps me occupied and less likely to pull over to the Mickey D's when I hit the next town.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Seeds are good. Only issue I have is how people spit them out. Some actually just spit them out anywhere, whereas others will use a cup or container then throw them away.

I always use a cup, sometimes people think I am chewing tobacco. :smile:

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, what's annoying is watching a bunch of grown men in MLB spitting out shells over the railing into the field.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Lol that is so disgusting! ! My son in law shoves his shells down the side of my couch! :angry:
    I was getting into pumpkin seeds for a while, until I realized they pack quite the calorie punch!