Ankle fracture or sprain...

Options
2»

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    I realize that you all are not doctors. I realize that the only way to really confirm what is going on is to get x-rays. This is just to put feelers out there and see if anyone has had personal experience with this. I'm attempting to save myself an expensive trip to the doctor and expensive x rays that may not even be warranted.

I rolled my ankle on Saturday. Badly. When it first happened, putting weight on it hurt so bad I almost threw up. I was able to limp home and actually if I kept pressure on the balls of my feet instead of my ankle, it hurt a lot less.

I rested it, iced it, wrapped it-all the usual treatments. Here I am 4 days later...hurts to bear weight on it. I can't always wrap it because my shoes won't fit and at work, not having shoes is not an option unless I have a cast on.

It's purple at the bottom of my foot (a line-shaped bruise) and is very tender to the touch immediately around the ankle. Maybe it's just a really bad sprain? Nothing irks me more than going to the doctor, finding out it was exactly what I thought it was and then paying a bill to find out what I already knew.

Has anyone here ever broken their ankle, and if so, were you able to bear weight on it a couple days after? How could you tell the difference between that and just a bad sprain? What finally sent you to the doctor to have it checked out?

Thanks in advance.

I rolled my ankle once...in Rome, drunk, at 3am when I had to catch a 6am flight out. Flew Rome -Amsterdam, Amsterdam-Seattle and Seattle-San Diego. Walked through airports/customs etc. My leg was black and blue up to the knee when I got home. But obviously I could still bear weight on it.

I think you should go to the doctor. I didn't and it's still touchy 5 years later.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I see you're already planning to go in. If it is just a sprain and you have to just keep wrapping it, be sure to get a note for work so you can wear tennis shoes (or no shoes if thsoe don't fit) - they can't expect you not to treat the injury because of their dress code.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    Especially given that I'm a distance runner...ignoring it doesn't make it heal more quickly...and if it heals incorrectly then I REALLY will have problems with running.

Understand. Several years ago I skidded and rolled my ankle, then walked two miles and ran the last mile as walking was getting tedious. Took months for the torn ligaments to heal after that.

This happened less than a half a mile from my house...I tried hobbling for about a block and a half...it hurt worse than running because with running I'm using the front part of my foot more. I did end up jogging the remaining distance because it was easier than walking.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Go to a qualified sports doctor. I learned the hard way with a bad sprain. Because I didn’t get proper therapy early, I have a ton of scar tissue and have lost mobility in my ankle.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I sprained my ankle in October and it still bothers me. I did 2 months of physiotherapy 2-3 times a week. I have a friend who broke hers a week before me, and she is almost at the same point in recovery. Ligaments take a long time to heal, and breaks and sprains are very similar in feel. You need an xray.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    So it's not broken.
    Doc says no running for 4-6 weeks...(not sure that's gonna happen). They gave me an air cast and crutches.
    The swelling is pretty much gone today...just a little bit. Not really painful or stiff. The crutches seem like overkill to me...plus I have a hard time trusting the doctors at those patient first/urgent care places.
  • meggyannpt
    meggyannpt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If the doctor hasn't recommended it, I would try to get in with a physical therapist. A PT can help you safely get back to running and make sure you don't end up constantly respraining the ankle or injuring it worse. If you want to keep running in the long run, it's worth it!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    so if you MUST run-go to a pool and do deep water running-with a special jogging belt-it is worth your while to let it heal really well if you want to continue running