Trying Crossfit

Options
Today I'm going for an initial consultation for Crossfit. I feel a little stuck in my own workout routines and have the summer off (teacher) so I thought I might try something new. I really want to lose the rest of my pregnancy weight and feel healthy again. Have you been successful with crossfit? Any advice?

Replies

• bowhuntr09
    bowhuntr09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started a month ago along with my 18yo daughter. By the end of the first week we both were extremely sore and struggling to climb stairs, etc. It's probably the most soreness you will ever experience. We were laughing at each other cause neither of us could hardly move. Once you get pat that its much easier but never easy. Each workout is always a challenge but people cheer you on and jump in and work with you even if they have already finished their own work. I find the structure and environment great for me because if left on my own I would never work this hard. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.
  • WillieMN
    WillieMN Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been doing CF on my own at a fitness center on and off since last fall. I officially joined a CF gym two weeks ago. I agree with the points bowhuntr shared as the community and sense of team really makes a difference. Also it's great to have trainer who focus on proper form and learning new lifts before worrying about the weight you lift. It's a process and great to have others in the same box with you working on same goals to improve. It has really boosted my motivation and I can feel difference already.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Just did the baseline class this weekend and will be joining the gym in July. I expect the soreness and am looking forward to it!

My baseline test was this (done as fast as you could, but we were encouraged to not go all out quite yet so I probably went at 80%)

500m rowing
    40 squats
    30 sit ups
    20 push ups
    20 pull ups (I used the rings as I cannot reliably do even assisted pullups yet)
  • K_Mcfadden321
    Options
    Today I'm going for an initial consultation for Crossfit. I feel a little stuck in my own workout routines and have the summer off (teacher) so I thought I might try something new. I really want to lose the rest of my pregnancy weight and feel healthy again. Have you been successful with crossfit? Any advice?

Please let me know how it goes! I am going to try to go for a consultation in the next week or so. I am really interested. Like you, I feel stuck in my own routines and I also have not been pushing myself enough. Would love to know how the consult goes!
  • annagoodner
    annagoodner Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Please let me know how it goes! I am going to try to go for a consultation in the next week or so. I am really interested. Like you, I feel stuck in my own routines and I also have not been pushing myself enough. Would love to know how the consult goes!
    [/quote]

I'll report back tonight :) Hopefully I'll still be able to walk!
  • WillieMN
    Options
    Please let me know how it goes! I am going to try to go for a consultation in the next week or so. I am really interested. Like you, I feel stuck in my own routines and I also have not been pushing myself enough. Would love to know how the consult goes! I'll report back tonight :) Hopefully I'll still be able to walk!

You want to find out the knowledge base of CF and proper form techniques of the coaches/trainers. Also go by how you feel when you enter the gym. Do you feel like it would be a place you could see yourself developing and learning new way to improve fitness? Are you committed to make the dues worth it and are they comparable to other gyms.

See if they are involved with the community like get groups together for events or gatherings. Do they have a web or facebook page to help clients/athletes keep in touch. See if there's testimonials from other clients. Trust your instincts and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Look forward to your report back! Enjoy the experience!
  • sferguson65
    sferguson65 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I went for the first time with my 27 year old (very fit) son. I am still sore but looking forward to another class for the challenge. Oh I am 48 and thought it would kill but it didn't... lol...
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Please keep us posted on how it goes! I'm interested in trying it myself.
  • annagoodner
    Options
    It went well. It was a challenge, but a good one. I can tell it will get much harder than what I did today, but I think I'm going to try it for a month and see how it goes. They don't make you sign any contracts, and you just pay month to month, so I like that. I think it's what I've been looking for- something that will push me harder than I push myself, and that will help me build more strength and hopefully burn (lots of) fat. The atmosphere was great- everyone was really friendly, both people there to work out and the coaches. I didn't feel like anyone thought it was weird that I was coming to work out even though I'm not in great shape yet, and the coaches were really encouraging. When I told them my knees give me problems sometimes they said we can always modify for that. All in all, I'm excited for my June experiment and hope it will give me a good challenge and help me meet my goals. Only downfall is it's a bit pricey, but I think it's worth a try and working into our budget if I really like it.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Try MFP CrossFit groups

There is one here in this link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/6960-i-m-starting-crossfit

You can find more at the "Groups" Option in the Blue Bar of MFP
  • annagoodner
    Options
    Why don't you check out some free or drop-in rate classes at other gyms before you sign up? There are lots of great boot camp and HITT (High Intensity Interval Training) group classes out there. Most are less expensive than Crossfit and many provide the community, encouragement, and exercise modifications you want to help you reach your fitness goals..

There are many ways to reach your fitness goals. You will never know what you might be missing if you decide to sign up for the first class you try.

I've been a member at a gym for 6 years, and have gone to a variety of different classes. The times for the crossfit classes fit well with my schedule, and I want to try something different. I'm making a month commitment, not a lifetime.
  • foot56
    foot56 Posts: 44
    Options
    In my first three months of CrossFit, I came to grips with who I truly was, how out of shape I had let myself become and what kind of impact a steady and compounding list of physical achievements could have on my daily life. Now I find myself fleeing from the city after work each day at top speed just to make it back in time for a class. I find myself declining virtually every opportunity to drink at happy hours and eat lavish dinners and the like. Anyone who knows me will tell you how out of character all of this is.
    But I’ve found a new addiction, something that both takes everything from me – physically, emotionally and mentally – and then gives me back even more than I had before. I’m hooked, and now all I want to do is keep getting better at it.
  • foot56
    Options
    In my first three months of CrossFit, I came to grips with who I truly was, how out of shape I had let myself become and what kind of impact a steady and compounding list of physical achievements could have on my daily life. Now I find myself fleeing from the city after work each day at top speed just to make it back in time for a class. I find myself declining virtually every opportunity to drink at happy hours and eat lavish dinners and the like. Anyone who knows me will tell you how out of character all of this is.
    But I’ve found a new addiction, something that both takes everything from me – physically, emotionally and mentally – and then gives me back even more than I had before. I’m hooked, and now all I want to do is keep getting better at it.

There's nothing good about getting hooked on something -- even if is is exercise.

Trading one addiction for another solves nothing. It is just using a new addiction to something that seems new and exciting to push your former addiction under the rug for the time being..

What would happen if for some reason, you could no longer go to Crossfit -- such as financial problems that did not allow you to pay the monthly membership fee or injuring yourself in some way? Would you go back to all your bad habits that you pushed aside with this new addiction to Crossfit?

I know people that have been in and out of Crossfit over the past few years, and the only people that stayed for any length of time are people that have addictive personalities. And as soon as they got hurt or could no longer afford to go to the Crossfit box, all the old addictions came back into their life with a vengeance.

It’s addicting for a lot of reasons, the different work outs, the people, the coaches who push you, the clock. You assume I had bad habits to start with, that’s incorrect. I was in shape. Please stop stereotyping people. I’ve never been hurt doing Crossfit. So if you can stop hating on Crossfit that would be great. I can link your other posts if you want.
  • foot56
    Options

It’s addicting for a lot of reasons, the different work outs, the people, the coaches who push you, the clock.

When I go to boot camp, we have different workouts every time and a coach and friends in class that encourage us. I go 2 or 3 times a week, but am not addicted.

The points I am making are (1) Having different workouts in a fitness class is not unique to Crossfit (2) Having a motivational coach is not unique to Crossfit (3) having a sense of community at an exercise class to help keep you motivated is not unique to Crossfit (4) There is no reason to become addicted to a fitness program to show up at class and enjoy the experience.

(1) the intensity/ workouts are more rigorous then most workouts. i.e Boot Camp work outs are not timed (completing against yourself) (2) The average class size in my box is about six. I highly doubt that with boot-camps. Also, boot camps don't really involve weight lifting into the mix. (hang cleans, dead-lifs, squats. 3) Boot camps are very expensive I only pay 90 bucks for a month. (4) you are blowing the word "addicted" out of proportion I.E "A devoted adherent; a fan: "We are all . . . addicts of change" (Christopher Lasch)."
  • WillieMN
    Options
  • WillieMN
    Options
    it sounds like you made educated choices and feel it's a good fit for you. Month to Month will be helpful and you can make further decisions at your visits progress. Great to hear positive and encouraging feedback from your intro!! :smile:
  • WillieMN
    Options
    Just did the baseline class this weekend and will be joining the gym in July. I expect the soreness and am looking forward to it!

My baseline test was this (done as fast as you could, but we were encouraged to not go all out quite yet so I probably went at 80%)

500m rowing
    40 squats
    30 sit ups
    20 push ups
    20 pull ups (I used the rings as I cannot reliably do even assisted pullups yet)

This is a great workout. I did assisted pull ups (the machine) or inverted rows (same movement as rings) until I gained enough strength and could maintain proper for me for pull ups. I did rowing for the first time this year and have a new found appreciation for how effective it is to help improve fitness.
  • annagoodner
    Options
    Never in my life have I been able to do a pull up. I really hope I can work up to doing one :)
  • WillieMN
    Options
    Never in my life have I been able to do a pull up. I really hope I can work up to doing one :)

I said the same thing. I can do 3 sets of 8 now. Keep at it!
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I am almost a month in. I have a love/ hate relationship with it. I thought it would get easier as the time went on, however I was so wrong lol. Feel free to add me. I feel amazing after every workout, during the workout is a completely different story lol. Good Luck