Low Sodium Foods

Options
I noticed that I'm going way over my daily sodium intake. For example, this morning all I ate was some turkey bacon and a protein shake and the total sodium was almost 1000mg. Sometimes by lunch time I'm already maxed out at 2300mg. Does anyone have any recommendations of low sodium foods. Apparently the food that I eat is loaded with sodium.

Thanks,
Daniel

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Most all prepackaged foods are high in sodium. Also deli meats & cured meats (i.e. turkey bacon) is going to have loads of sodium. That being said you can still eat these foods, but just in moderation.

Also drinking more water helps to flush out some sodium. Eating foods high in potassium (most fruits and vegetables) can help to counter the effects of sodium.

I guess the long and short is to eat less prepackaged and more whole foods (fruits, vegetables, lean protein & beans) are going to be better options for you.

Hope this helps!
  • iamnotvoldemort
    iamnotvoldemort Posts: 56 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but if you're already maxed out by lunch, you're either eating mostly processed foods or putting a ton of salt on your breakfast and lunch.

If you want to cut down your sodium, cut down on the turkey bacon, cheese, and anything that comes remotely prepared for you (even the low sodium versions can be high). Read your labels so you make better choices beforehand.

Honestly though, if you're eating well otherwise and are not dealing with issues aggravated by sodium, drink lots of water to flush it out and you should be fine.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You will have to Google for foods low in sodium and cook more to control the sodium. If you decide to eat prepackaged items then plan your week ahead of time to make sure you don't go over the sodium limit. I populate my food dairy a week ahead of time before I shop for groceries. This way I won't go over my limits.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you move away from prepared foods and make your own you can control the sodium. You would be shocked to find out how much salt is in bacon. Commercial soups also are high in sodium. The few prepackaged/prepared foods you buy from now on, check the percent daily intake of salt on the nutrition label before you buy. Lay a few brands side-by-side for comparison.

Basically, you can eat all meats, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and dairy that you like; they are all naturally low in sodium.

Baked goods, sandwich meats, bacon, ham, KFC, fries, pretzels, salted nuts, soups, and chips are all higher in sodium (added by manufacturer for preservation and taste).
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Mortons lite salt. Half salt, half potassium.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Read labels and look for low or no sodium foods.

If you don't have HBP or other medical issues where you have to have low sodium, I wouldn't worry about it.