Is shoveling snow a workout or not!?!?!?!?!

Options
Whats shaking my awesome people of MFP!?!!?

We are getting over the Blizzard of 2015 here in Chicago! And man! Have I been shoveling snow as if it was gold!
This stuff is efffeeennnnnn heavy!

With that said, what are your toughts for shoveling as a workout?!?!

My routine is shovel, wine, break and then shovel...... :D

Replies

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I feel like I have shoveled 3,459 times in the past 4 days. I have a rather large driveway so by the time I'm done, have to start over. LOL! And to answer your question, yes, I consider it a "bonus" workout.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I log it because it's not something that I do all the time. If I'm spending 45 minutes to an hour shoveling snow, not taking a break and sweating my butt off then I consider it a workout.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It can be hard from time to time, but it's not a workout, unless some enterprising gym has figured out how to do a bootcamp class right. ;)

It's a decent excuse for a cup of hot chocolate though.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    It makes me sweat and my heart pound and my muscles burn. So, yeah, I count it.

Logging it regularly provides amusement to many of my MFP friends who live in more temperate climes. So glad I could entertain you, warmies.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    My favorite is when you shovel off your walk, and the city plows come right by and undo all that work...
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    My favorite is when you shovel off your walk, and the city plows come right by and undo all that work...

Or when you shovel not once or twice but 3 times and then a good friend stops by with a plow to do you a solid....

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

And then you're so pissed that you try to drive over the pile they made and get stuck...

• keden7
    keden7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    400 - 600 calories per hour, according to Web MD.

webmd.com/parenting/fun-and-fit-family-11/calorie-burners
  • clyn27
    clyn27 Posts: 102 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Or when you shovel not once or twice but 3 times and then a good friend stops by with a plow to do you a solid....

that drives me nuts!!! Like thanks and all but you could have called and said hey I'll be over in a couple hours don't kill yourself shoveling lol

I do not log it but I do consider is a work out. Now if I go out to play with the kids in the snow or I strap on the snow shoes I do log that.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Um, yes. Why wouldn't it be? It's hard work and if you have a long driveway like mine, it's going to take you at least 40 minutes of sustained effort!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't log frequent regular activities but I do log those that are strenuous comparative to things I would log as workouts and that I don't do on a regular basis. I log moving piles of rock, shoveling snow, and annual yard clean up. I rarely do those things and they are at least as strenuous as a walk or my yoga class. I don't believe exercise has to occur in a gym or be non-functional.

My friends list seems to mostly concur. I often see logs for shoveling snow and rarely for cleaning. :)
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    10 people died in chicago these past 3 days because of heart attacks. They never workout and take on this excruciating work.....boom! :o
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Definitely a workout.

Heart attacks from shoveling snow on the upswing; Hospitals advise residents to take it easy - GENESEE COUNTY, MI

"There are people who wouldn't normally get up and start exercising. You really put yourself at risk if you're not in shape to do (the amount of work it takes to shovel a driveway)," he said. "Some people aren't conditioned for that. That's when heart attacks come, that's when strokes come. ... They just have to take it slow."
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Shoveling 18" is a better workout than anything I do at the gym. Damn right I'm logging it.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I logged it today. I was out there for over an hour, and then I had to go back out again later and shovel some more. It's quite the workout considering all the snow we have, plus I put extra oomph to it so I get a better workout, lol. However, the calories burned always seems high to me. The listing in the MFP database says 316 calories for 30 minutes. That doesn't seem quite right, so I won't likely eat all of those calories back...maybe half.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I don't log frequent regular activities but I do log those that are strenuous comparative to things I would log as workouts and that I don't do on a regular basis. I log moving piles of rock, shoveling snow, and annual yard clean up. I rarely do those things and they are at least as strenuous as a walk or my yoga class. I don't believe exercise has to occur in a gym or be non-functional.

My friends list seems to mostly concur. I often see logs for shoveling snow and rarely for cleaning. :)

Indeed.the world is your gym!

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it.....but then I live in Florida. ;):po:)
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options

LOL...I gave the city worker such a death stare the other day. I know they're just doing their job, but still. I had JUST finished shoveling my way out. Took me over an hour and it was so dang cold. Right, and I do mean right, when I finished here comes the city to block the end of my drive way in. I was still standing near the end of my car when they did it. We had another storm come through this morning and give us even more snow than the one on Monday. I just finished digging us out, so I look for the city to come through here any time. Oh well, more exercise for me I guess.

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I just count shoveling as a bonus and don't log it -
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think it is a great workout. It works my core and arm muscles and it is great cardio. I am in Chicago as well. And I looooooovvveee the wine break!!! LOL!

I dont log it as exercise I just make a mental note that I have some extra calories if needed.