Protein and Pre-workout

Options
My boyfriend told me that protein shakes would help me shred fat and build muscle but when I asked him about using pre-workout he said that women aren't supposed to use it but when I look it up there are plenty of pre-workout for women.

I just wanted to know what protein powders and pre workout would be good for women if any at all

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    lol.... your boyfriend is lost.

Whey protein shakes are nothing more than a means to meat your daily protein goal, that's it. They don't burn fat, don't make your stronger, smarter, sexier, etc.

I recommend Dymatize, Cellucor, & Myofusion for protein. Those are my favorites.

Pre-workout.... I reccommend Tier 1+ from Citadel Nutrition. Here is their link to order it: http://www.citadelnutrition.com/store/supplements/tier-1-plus

It's easily the best pre-workout out there since there's absolutely no fillers in it and it's backed by pure science.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    That's bad information all around. Just ignore it. Protein shakes will not shred fat but they are high in protein so will help to build muscle if you are working out and would otherwise have too low of a protein and/or calorie intake to take advantage of the increased muscle stimulation.

As for pre-workouts, I don't think anyone really needs them but go ahead if you like, being a woman doesn't mean you can't have them and I'm not sure why he believes that since I'm out of the bro science loop on that.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Your boyfriend is kind of an idiot.

Personally, I don't like any of the powdered shake thingies. I generally don't like sweet drinks, so choking down a whey protein shake that eats up a chunk of my calories is not my thing. Instead, I drink kefir during my workout and eat a high-protein Greek or Icelandic yogurt afterwards, and add chicken breast and shrimp to the rest of my daily intake on lifting days.

If you like milkshakes or chocolate milk type drinks, go ahead and try some protein powders to see what you like. There are even some in pretty pink tubs and labeled "for women," so your genius boyfriend won't worry that they'll make you grow testes. (The only real difference I can see is that the "for women" ones seem to have added calcium and more sugar/sugar substitute)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Your boyfriend is wrong. Very wrong. Never ever again consult him about fitness and nutrition.

Blunt but right at the heart of the issue as usual! :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Your boyfriend is a marketer's dream!

Protein powder, in and of itself, won't help build muscle or shed fat. It will simply supplement your protein intake. The bigger picture of diet and exercise will determine if you are shedding fat or building muscle.

Pre-workouts aren't gender specific. They also aren't miracle workers. Is there a benefit? Often times, yes. Is it greatly overstated by advertisers and bro scientists? Most definitely.

Lastly, neither protein powders nor pre-workouts are gender specific. Which is good and which isn't will depend on your needs and preferences. Speaking VERY generally, both caffeine (as a pre workout) and Optimum Nutrition's whey powder (protein powder) are widely considered as good options. But again, there are 100s of good options out there.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I hate to jump on the bandwagon of your boyfriend is wrong....but he's wrong.

Protein is a supplement that helps you get to your calorie and protein goals...nothing more...nothing less. Protein powder isn't gender based, just pick one up. Cellucor makes a good protein powder and usually tastes very good.

The only way to shed weight is to burn more calories than you are consuming.
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you, the help is greatly appreciated. :)