How do you deal with work?

Options
Hey guys!

I'm looking for some tips on how to keep up with making healthy choices while at work. I have a great job with great people and I absolutely love it. The only thing I don't love is the fact that there's always unhealthy food around. The owner is constantly bringing in doughnuts, breakfast burritos, buying us lunch, etc., often times just bringing it in and leaving it for us. I've been pretty good about practicing moderation, and they all know I'm trying to eat healthier. But they're the kind of people who just want to give and make sure we're happy and comfortable and don't need anything.

I know it's definitely not the worst problem in the world, but I'm just looking for some motivation on how to keep up on making healthy choices :smile:

Thanks guys!

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Same with my office. There's constantly food on offer -- cookies, doughnuts or Timbits, someone's bake sale stuff, cakes at birthdays, you name it.

I deal with it by just not eating it. Sure, at first it was hard to force myself to walk past it or to say "no thank you" but that went away after a week or two, and now it's just habit.

I'd rather save my calories for food I enjoy more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I pretty much brown bag my breakfast, lunch, and snacks unless there's actually an occasion or something going on at work, in which case I will usually participate. There are doughnuts in the breakroom right now...I had half of one earlier this morning...no biggie. Breakfast burritos sound great and I wouldn't say there's anything inherently "unhealthy" about them...I eat them all the time.
  • segacs
    Options
    I'll also add this: I used to feel like I had to eat the food that was offered to me at work because it was "free food".

I stopped thinking of it as free. It may not cost money, but it costs calories, which are rarer and more precious to me.

Once I stopped thinking of it as free, it became easier to pass it up.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Bring your own food, and make sure you have snacks.
  • Fittykitty11
    Options
    Our office is the same. I avoid the consistent things (doughnuts, bagels) by having alternatives at hand (in my desk). Birthdays with cakes I take a SMALL piece or slice or split a cupcake with a coworker whom is also health minded.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    My general rule is if I didn't bring it, then I don't eat it. However, there are times where I will break that rule if I know I can fit it in my calorie goals and it's something that I want. Last week, someone brought in homemade rice krispy teats with m&ms. I had one b/c they looked good (and they were).

Next week, we're having a coffee concert, which means we will literally have 200-400 donuts in the building. I plan to have 1.

Just try not to stress over it.
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I bring my food with me to work 95% of the time (time permitting, some mornings are harder than others), so I'm definitely never lacking in healthier choices. I just feel bad when I come to work and they walk in with smoothies or burritos for everyone and then I have to either eat it or throw it away. There's only four of us in the front office, so they buy one for each of us. And then the box of doughnuts just sits on the cabinet next to my desk calling my name :'(

It's definitely more of a guilt thing than me really wanting the food for the most part. Aside from the orange "Super C" smoothies they bring sometimes. I could drink those every day..
  • Fittykitty11
    Options
    Can you politely ask them not to buy you food? I mean, it would save whomever is paying some money and it avoids you feeling guilty.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    What I realized was that for me, the first bite was the deal breaker. So I never ate that first bite of break room stuff.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Perhaps then, in that case, a frank sit-down with your boss is in order.

Tell him/her you genuinely appreciate the gesture, but that you'd prefer they didn't include you in the group orders. Or to at least check with you first, and you can decide whether you can fit the 'treat' into your day.

You don't have to go into a lot of detail, but explain you're carefully watching what you eat, and don't want their kind gesture to go to waste.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    My general rule is if I didn't bring it, then I don't eat it. However, there are times where I will break that rule if I know I can fit it in my calorie goals and it's something that I want. Last week, someone brought in homemade rice krispy teats with m&ms. I had one b/c they looked good (and they were).

Next week, we're having a coffee concert, which means we will literally have 200-400 donuts in the building. I plan to have 1.

Just try not to stress over it.

Rice krispy treats with m&m's sounds amazing. Luckily, I'm the baker in the office, so I'm typically the only one bringing in homemade sweets for everyone. I think I'm just struggling with the whole willpower thing. This is the best job environment I've had; I've never really had to deal with being offered food and snacks on the daily. I love how nice they are and the family atmosphere, I just wish it was less unhealthy.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it or log it at eat it.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    I've told them I'm eating healthier and trying to make wiser choices, but they're a bunch of enablers. They mean the best, though. It's a rather successful family business, and they're definitely not lacking in money in the slightest. They're the kind of people, however, that believe you're perfect just the way you are and that I don't need to lose any weight, etc.

I'm not grossly overweight or anything, I'm on the higher end of average, so I don't seem like I have too much weight to lose as opposed to when I first started. And they're all healthy and on the thinner side, but eat whatever they want kind of people. I don't think they've ever really tried to eat healthily.
  • segacs
    Options
    I just feel bad when I come to work and they walk in with smoothies or burritos for everyone and then I have to either eat it or throw it away.

If you keep taking it and then either eating it or throwing it away surreptitiously, then they're gonna keep buying it for you because they think you want it.

Next time, smile and say "no thank you!" and if they insist, just say, "really, I appreciate the thought, but no thanks, I have my own lunch today." Once or twice of that and they'll get the message and stop buying it for you in the first place.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Perhaps then, in that case, a frank sit-down with your boss is in order.

Tell him/her you genuinely appreciate the gesture, but that you'd prefer they didn't include you in the group orders. Or to at least check with you first, and you can decide whether you can fit the 'treat' into your day.

You don't have to go into a lot of detail, but explain you're carefully watching what you eat, and don't want their kind gesture to go to waste.

Yes, this is what I would do. I'm also in the camp of "if I didn't bring it, I don't eat it". Of course, there are a few special exceptions overall, but since this is a daily thing at your office I would definitely apply the above rule.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    i'm jealous of your office environment. we had donuts yesterday, but nobody told me about them and then i just found an empty box :cry:

agree with others who said to just politely ask your boss or whomever to not include you on these orders anymore so as to not waste their money.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I just feel bad when I come to work and they walk in with smoothies or burritos for everyone and then I have to either eat it or throw it away.

If you keep taking it and then either eating it or throwing it away surreptitiously, then they're gonna keep buying it for you because they think you want it.

Next time, smile and say "no thank you!" and if they insist, just say, "really, I appreciate the thought, but no thanks, I have my own lunch today." Once or twice of that and they'll get the message and stop buying it for you in the first place.

That's true. I'll have to grow a pair and say no, basically. They're just rather insistent sometimes. When delivery people come in, the owner will offer them a doughnut or something, and basically talk them into eating it haha. But I'll try harder to decline when I'm offered food in the office. Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.
  • Fittykitty11
    Options
    Maybe they can buy you an expensive fruit basket every morning then ;)
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    What I realized was that for me, the first bite was the deal breaker. So I never ate that first bite of break room stuff.

This is me. If I don't have any of the snacks, I can walk past it all day no problem. But if I have one bite, I'll be back there 3, 4, 5 times lol. I bring my lunch & try to just stick with that.

I also agree with the suggestion that you politely ask them to not buy you food.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Usually we don't have food brought into work unless it's a staff meeting. I've learned just to say "no thank you" and eat whatever I had packed for lunch that day.