Insanity vs p90x

Options
Which have you tried? Did you love/hate it? Why?

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity. Loved it. It is as challenging as you make it, and it doesn't require any equipment. I did the full program about 2 years ago, but I still do the odd workout when I want to do something at home.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've done p90x and p90x3 - they're both good if you know what you're doing but can easily lead to injuries if you don't because the pace is so fast (especially in 3). They're no miracle though even though the commercials would have you believe that they are.
    I personally prefer the original - even though its more time consuming, it just explains the workouts better and Plyo is a godsend to anyone who has thunder thighs or saddlebags - adios cellulite. Basically I've never lost a significant amount of weight doing them (in fact I'm usually starving the whole third month) but I do notice that I tone up a great deal, especially in my thighs.

I've now moved on to lifting (via stronglifts 5x5) 3x days a week and running 3x a week, but my husband does insanity instead of the runs (we lift together). He loves it - but he just loves circuit training and cardio in a way that I never will. I guess to each his own.
  • Burrr3Three
    Burrr3Three Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    I've done Insanity. Loved it. It is as challenging as you make it, and it doesn't require any equipment. I did the full program about 2 years ago, but I still do the odd workout when I want to do something at home.

Good to know, I don't have a lot of equipment yet. Thankyouu :)
  • Burrr3Three
    Burrr3Three Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've done p90x and p90x3 - they're both good if you know what you're doing but can easily lead to injuries if you don't because the pace is so fast (especially in 3). They're no miracle though even though the commercials would have you believe that they are.
    I personally prefer the original - even though its more time consuming, it just explains the workouts better and Plyo is a godsend to anyone who has thunder thighs or saddlebags - adios cellulite. Basically I've never lost a significant amount of weight doing them (in fact I'm usually starving the whole third month) but I do notice that I tone up a great deal, especially in my thighs.

I've now moved on to lifting (via stronglifts 5x5) 3x days a week and running 3x a week, but my husband does insanity instead of the runs (we lift together). He loves it - but he just loves circuit training and cardio in a way that I never will. I guess to each his own.

Ohh is there a specific diet plan you have to follow?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’d done both P90x and Insanity. I prefer Insanity because it doesn’t require equipment.

Yes, both come with an eating program (they also sell a protein shake).
  • code3fd
    code3fd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm just into the end of week one of block two of p90x3 and I have been enjoying it. Cant speak for insanity as I have never tried it but either way they both seem challenging and effective...nutrition has been the difficult part for myself.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Having done both, I'd do P90X ten times over before I do Insanity again (I'm starting a new P90X-themed hybrid next week).
    Insanity just took a horrible toll on my knees, ankles and lower back.
    Don't get me wrong, Insanity is a great cardio workout and it kicked my *kitten*, but it's far too strenuous on my lower extremities.
  • mzootie
    mzootie Posts: 133
    Options
    I have done both, Insanity is great if your knees can withstand all the jumping and squatting. Not alot of upper body strength needed. Great cardio to lose weight and tone if that is the goal. Done it 3 times and no issues for me and I'm old. Also done Tapout XT 2 a few rounds too. That's more intense and geared toward MMA training more upper body needed punching and kicking and ABS all day. I would say Insanity is great for anyone and especially for women. If you stick with it results will def come. Have fun good luck
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity and am now doing the new Insanity Max30. Never tried P90X, so I can't speak to it. Loved the original Insanity but it was LONG (45min - 1hr workouts 6 days a week). Max30 is condensed to 30 minutes 5 days a week, it's harder than the original and I actually like it a lot more than the original version.
  • bradhiggs7
    bradhiggs7 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've done P90X and wasn't a big fan. If you're just getting started out I would do a little research on strength training and join a gym.
  • mzootie
    mzootie Posts: 133
    Options
    bug1114 wrote: »
    I've done Insanity and am now doing the new Insanity Max30. Never tried P90X, so I can't speak to it. Loved the original Insanity but it was LONG (45min - 1hr workouts 6 days a week). Max30 is condensed to 30 minutes 5 days a week, it's harder than the original and I actually like it a lot more than the original version.

I'm starting Max 30 next week. Do you think the workout has the same or more benefit in less time than insanity?

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity, Insanity Max 30, parts of P90X, and P90X3. My favorite out of all of those is Insanity Max 30. They're all great programs. I personally always ignored the diet plan that came with it and just calorie counted.

I don't feel like you can go wrong with any of them, just be mindful of form with all of them or you can injure yourself.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    They are both incredibly similar, the difference is in which trainer you'd rather look at for 30-minutes.
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    They are both incredibly similar, the difference is in which trainer you'd rather look at for 30-minutes.

While I've never done P90X, I don't believe this is true. Insanity is body weight resistance training with heavy cardio. P90X uses actual weights and focuses on strength training with only small amounts of cardio (from what I've heard). Not sure how long the P90X workouts are, but the original Insanity workout is 45 mins - 1hr depending on which month you are in.
  • theamazingcassiebunny
    Options
    I've done both (plus T25, P90X2, P90X3). I'd recommend P90x for building muscle, Insanity if you love cardio and have good knees. As others have said, Insanity is a knee-killer. Oh, and you don't have to follow the included diet plan. I think those are more for people who don't know what to eat.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    bug1114 wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

While I've never done P90X, I don't believe this is true. Insanity is body weight resistance training with heavy cardio. P90X uses actual weights and focuses on strength training with only small amounts of cardio (from what I've heard). Not sure how long the P90X workouts are, but the original Insanity workout is 45 mins - 1hr depending on which month you are in.

I didn't say they were exactly the same, I said they were similar. P90X is first and foremost cardio. Just because it includes some weights does not make it strength training. Just because I buy a red car does not make it a sports car. They are both first and foremost of form of HIIT conditioning. Rather than pay a lot of money for something like that, one can go to something like The Fitness Blender on YouTube and get something very similar for free.

• hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Insanity (currently in Week 4) and have seen AMAZING results so far! I'm down 15.2 lbs since I started. I"m looking forward to (and dreading) month 2! P90X is next on my to-do list, although I may try P90X3 instead, since the workouts are shorter.

I have a true love/hate relationship with Insanity. I love how it makes me feel after I complete a workout, I love that I'm losing weight very quickly, and I love how my stamina has improved in such a short period of time. I hate all of the jumping - actually my knees and ankles hate all of the jumping. The workouts are tough and you really have to be very disciplined, stay motivated, and push yourself to make it through, but if you do then you'll feel so beat up and accomplished at the same time. It's really a wonderful feeling when you get done with a workout.

Another one that's worth investigating if you're trying to decided on a program - especially if you're new to exercise programs - is PiYo. It's a combination of Pilates and Yoga, low-impact, and the from the investigation that I've done - people are getting some really great results! I've been looking into it for my wife, who's never had to exercise before, but is wanting to start a program. She tried Insanity - it's just way too much for her since she's never done a workout like that before. I think PiYo may be a good fit, and I may even give it a shot too after I get done with Insanity. It's supposed to be really good for people with joint problems too, like bad knees and ankles, which I've been having some trouble with in Insanity.
  • Lorraine128
    Lorraine128 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    PiYo next on my list after Insanity. To give my knees a rest!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I've done both.

Insanity changed my approach to working out. I did nothing but lift weights and some cardio machines here and there since high school. I had good results but I felt much more fit doing HITT.

Honestly felt like I got better results from p90x tho
  • dancindoc508
    dancindoc508 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I loved Insanity and I did it two years ago and got amazing results! However it depends on your starting point. It is hard but as long as you have good knees, you'll build up the endurance. The only problem with Insanity is that I couldn't maintain that intense of a workout permanently. I am doing T25 now and I add in a few double days of the 21 day fix workout and I'm getting similar results as insanity. I'm going to do the P90X3 workouts next.