IBS and making some changes to the way you eat. Flare ups? please HELP

Options
PammieSuzyQ
PammieSuzyQ Posts: 100 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I am eating more of the foods i SHOULD be eating anyway, and I am paid for this how? IBS flare ups. Apparently I now have the kind that leaves me constipated for a week or more, only to explode in a single day glorious day of pain and cramps that leaves me seeing stars, weak, shaky, and exhausted. Of course it always falls on one of my gym days. Oh, and my granddaughter is coming over for me to care for. not gonna cry not gonna cry not gonna cry...

I spend a week or more gaining and gaining and gaining weight, lose it all at once and want to die in the process. I can't take any immodium of course, I have GOT to eliminate it for god's sake.

OK, here's the part where I listen to your advice, and GO!

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Find a dietitian who can help you figure out what contributes to your IBS (for example, you really need a dietitian to try a FODMAP elimination diet).
  • PammieSuzyQ
    Options
    You are right of course. I'm not sure that VA hospitals offer dieticians to any patient that is not diabetic, but I can ask my doctor. I'm a veteran and the VA is my only coverage.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    You'll have to find out, but IBS is a legitimate medical condition and reason to see a dietitian.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    You'll have to find out, but IBS is a legitimate medical condition and reason to see a dietitian.
    plus,given your age and symptoms,definately needs urgent medical assistance.
    i would be ringing and emailing every medic i could asap.
    had similar in december,have seen doc,consultants x2 and had a colonoscopy within a month.nhs in uk.
    now have a plan to ease/ fix problem.
    so many trigger foods to eliminate,get medical help .
  • PammieSuzyQ
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Nah, I've had this, (though only the diarrhea part), since I was about 26 years old. It comes and goes, worsens with changes.

I'm just looking for others that may have been through this at the beginning of their life/food/exercise changes. How long it lasts on average. What they did to improve it.

I don't do hypochondria. I don't do freaking out. I have IBS and a couple other little things, but I am an otherwise healthy woman.
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have IBS, prior to my lifestyle change I'd have at least one rushed watery poo a day sometimes 3 or 4 in a day.
    Now I am going only 3-4 times a week; however, they are more solid and sometimes a little hard to pass with stomach cramps. I have been on the diet nearly 6 weeks so think my body is just adjusting, I sought advice and was advised more fibre (which I avoided before) and plenty of water to help things move.

I am seeing my doctor on Monday just to check though xx
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Crohn's patient here, IBS's bigger, drunker, cousin.

Things I've found that work:
    • Lots of water.
    • Fish oil helps.
    • Fiber - specifically psyllium powder - works wonders for regulating bowel movements.

Also see if you can get your hands on the book Eating Right for a Bad Gut. The doc who wrote it knows his stuff and isn't trying to sell you anything.

Other than that, track your food religiously; everyone has different triggering foods. Mine were alcohol and foods higher in sulfur (onions, bell peppers, etc) as well as greasy foods and even a lot of red meat.
  • lmmilbert
    lmmilbert Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have IBS also and the first three weeks of my new diet were very difficult for me. The first two I was constipated and bloated and the third was the expulsion week- cramps, blow outs etc.

I am now on my 5th week and happy to say I am pretty much back to normal. Haven't had any constipation or any flare ups at all since the 3rd week. My body just needed time time to get used to the changes. Funny thing is, I know what my triggers are and I wasn't eating any of those, but my stomach was still not happy with all the healthy changes I made.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    My advice is to see a nutritionist. Managing this illness and weight loss at the same time is overwhelming if you are trying to figure it out on your own!
  • PammieSuzyQ
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have been cutting back on simple carbs, but I still eat complex carbs. I did buy some wheat germ and began adding it to my yogurt last week.

The change is the amount of protein in my diet. I have never gotten enough protein before and I want to build muscle again so I'm weight training. Slowly. I go to the gym twice a week, and for the past three weeks, one of those gym days I have been sick with this.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    So I am eating more of the foods i SHOULD be eating anyway, and I am paid for this how? IBS flare ups. Apparently I now have the kind that leaves me constipated for a week or more, only to explode in a single day glorious day of pain and cramps that leaves me seeing stars, weak, shaky, and exhausted. Of course it always falls on one of my gym days. Oh, and my granddaughter is coming over for me to care for. not gonna cry not gonna cry not gonna cry...

I spend a week or more gaining and gaining and gaining weight, lose it all at once and want to die in the process. I can't take any immodium of course, I have GOT to eliminate it for god's sake.

Make smaller changes to your diet. Researching FODMAPS makes sense (there's a book called "Free at last" that might help - or she's got a very useful website).

In general, if you had your IBS under control before, you can adapt to your new diet, just by slowly increasing the servings of fruit, veggie and fiber. I have to take magnesium (just a standard supplement) - it helps my intestine contract properly and softens things a little.
  • PammieSuzyQ
    Options
    lisaw19855 wrote: »
    I have IBS, prior to my lifestyle change I'd have at least one rushed watery poo a day sometimes 3 or 4 in a day.
    Now I am going only 3-4 times a week; however, they are more solid and sometimes a little hard to pass with stomach cramps. I have been on the diet nearly 6 weeks so think my body is just adjusting, I sought advice and was advised more fibre (which I avoided before) and plenty of water to help things move.

I am seeing my doctor on Monday just to check though xx

Thank you Lisa, it's hearing the experiences that really help me. I knew I wasn't the only one here. I needed to know that this would pass. I hoping for sooner though. Again, thank you!

• PammieSuzyQ
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Crohn's patient here, IBS's bigger, drunker, cousin.

Things I've found that work:
    • Lots of water.
    • Fish oil helps.
    • Fiber - specifically psyllium powder - works wonders for regulating bowel movements.

Also see if you can get your hands on the book Eating Right for a Bad Gut. The doc who wrote it knows his stuff and isn't trying to sell you anything.

Other than that, track your food religiously; everyone has different triggering foods. Mine were alcohol and foods higher in sulfur (onions, bell peppers, etc) as well as greasy foods and even a lot of red meat.

Thank you Cipher! I do enjoy my craft beers. I'm not a kid, I don't do drunk. I can't drink more than 8oz at a time, but I did have one yesterday with lunch to celebrate my new hair, (dyed it red). I have learned to love the taste of good beer in my old age, lolz. But yeah, it may have triggered it. I use to drink a lot more and have cut back considerably, nothing says I can't do it again. It only becomes harder when you are old enough to drink for taste, LOL!

I take a Fish/Flax/Borage Oil supplement, I have for years now. Heart heath and for nice skin. I think I will have to consider some kind of fiber supplement. Not sure exactly what at this point, research is needed.

I am tracking all my food and drink here. I'll go and look up that book on Amazon.
    Again, thank you!

• PammieSuzyQ
    Options
    lmmilbert wrote: »
    I have IBS also and the first three weeks of my new diet were very difficult for me. The first two I was constipated and bloated and the third was the expulsion week- cramps, blow outs etc.

I am now on my 5th week and happy to say I am pretty much back to normal. Haven't had any constipation or any flare ups at all since the 3rd week. My body just needed time time to get used to the changes. Funny thing is, I know what my triggers are and I wasn't eating any of those, but my stomach was still not happy with all the healthy changes I made.
    Immibert, you give me hope, just like Lisa, that this will pass. This is the third week, please oh please let it be the end of it!

Like you I am not making poor choice foods, however, Cipher mentions alcohol, and I have to think it might be a trigger. ugh.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's. I suggest getting a referral to a gastroenterologist. In the meantime, I would buy a probiotic from a local pharmacy. My GI recommends Align to all of her patients. It's a bit expensive but it's worth the money.

• PammieSuzyQ
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    My advice is to see a nutritionist. Managing this illness and weight loss at the same time is overwhelming if you are trying to figure it out on your own!
    You may not have seen it. I'm a veteran and the VA Hospital is my only coverage, I'm not sure that I have access to a dietician unless I have diabetes. Something I have to check into. I'll be back at the clinic next week for a measles shot, (got a titer check this week). This week I'll ask my doctor if a dietician is available to me.

• PammieSuzyQ
    Options
    chouflour wrote: »

Make smaller changes to your diet. Researching FODMAPS makes sense (there's a book called "Free at last" that might help - or she's got a very useful website).

In general, if you had your IBS under control before, you can adapt to your new diet, just by slowly increasing the servings of fruit, veggie and fiber. I have to take magnesium (just a standard supplement) - it helps my intestine contract properly and softens things a little.
    It's mostly under control now, I get a flare up only a few times a year, this one happens to suck badly. I do take magnesium, but it doesn't make any difference that I am aware of. I have been taking it for over a dozen years now along with the calcium and D3.

• LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I've struggled for the same thing for a really long time too and my doctor wasn't any help. Fiber supplements were an enemy for me, so I'd be cautious about those (but it's different for everyone). I've found that incorporating healthy fats more regularly into my diet helps me the most, along with paying attention to dairy (some is okay, too much isn't). Beer does typically trigger a "release" for me, too. Honestly, though, I'm more bothered by the days when nothing is happening than the days when it does, so I don't mind the release triggers and if I can keep things going on a regular basis then the releases don't really happen.

I think it's really different for everyone and you'll probably want to pay close attention to what works and doesn't work for you. Good luck!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Someone on Pistonheads said he fixed his IBS by doing 16/8 Intermittent Fasting. (See your doc first, anyway!)
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I too have IBS Iused to take 8 metamucil capsuls at breakfast to "bulk up" my watery stools. 12 months ago I took a course of probioitics and was able to discontinue the metamucil. (I had been on it for 6 years) I have to avoid raw salads or I have to go with urgency like RIGHT NOW and it's loose and watery. At home I just microwave salads-and I've asked restaurants to do that too.

So my advice to you is to try some metamucil or benefiber daily-so you don't get the build up and blow out.