Cheapest blender or tips for green smoothies?

Options
Currently my shakes/smoothies are completely fruit based. Texture is very important to me and while I am interested in mixing in lighter greens like spinach and kale for flavor, nutrition and filler, I absolutely cannot stand the leafy chunkiness, no way, no how.

I am still on the fence about spending $200+ for one of these fancy Blendtec or Ninjas I keep reading about. Are there cheaper alternatives, or any tricks to get a better consistency?

Replies

• colleenhere
    colleenhere Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    spent $400 on a Vitamix and never looked back. i use it every single day, it's so easy to clean, and it has a 7 year warranty. I see it as an investment in never having to buy another blender ever again and always having one that will crush anything. To spend less, you can buy them refurbished from the company (so they still have a warranty i think) and there's a newer personal sized one that i saw on sale for $300 something... and noo they are not paying me haha.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Blended up spinach and kale for "flavor?" It seems to me the reasons people do that is because they either want their fruity milkshake to seem healthier than it is, or because they don't like spinach or kale well enough to eat it on it's own in, say, a salad.

I personally think green smoothies are gross, and whatever benefit they may impart are not worth the investment of an industrial blender. Bruised and smashed and pulverized greens are not tastier than a crisp salad.

Now, if you like lots of berries in your smoothies and want the seeds pulverized, that might be worth the investment of an industrial blender.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have the Pro Nutribullet. It was less than $100. It pulvarizes everything (except raspberry seeds - that is the only thing I have had trouble with). It does awesome with chia seeds, strawberry seeds, etc. And no leafy bits from my greens. Everything is smooth.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have no regrets about spending the money for a vitamix. You can find sellers that have refurbished ones for less money. I can promise you there will be no leafy chunkiness at all just smoooooooth smoothie.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have a nutribullet - Makes everything nice and smooth. I bought it at costco.
  • jenna80302
    jenna80302 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Best recipe ever:

Cococilantro smoothie:
    1 heaping handful of spinach
    1 small handful of cilantro
    1/2 - 1 frozen banana
    1/2 cup frozen mango or pineapple
    8-10 oz of coconut water
    Optional - flaxseed, chia seeds (rinsed and soaked), head of romain, etc. etc.

Also, my cheap blender handles this recipie with ease... However if you find yourself having a hard time use bananas at room temperature.

Happy blending :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I went to buy a ninja but they were sold out, so came home with a $40 George Foreman blender. Seems to do the job. Doesn't leave seeds from berries behind and mashes up baby spinach. Haven't tried kale yet :s
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. Oddly I have never had a problem with seeds, and will even add in chia seeds sometimes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I added chia seeds the other day and they pretty much came out the same way they went in. I thought they would have been too small to completely pulverize? ?
  • brentbledsoe2
    Options
    I found tht freezing my greens before blending helps to not only grind them up better but it also preserves them for a longer duration of time.