Ladies, dont be afraid to lift weights at the gym.

Options
2»

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    But seriously, why is it acceptable to shame people for being a certain way?

Call someone fat, you're in trouble. But blatantly saying someone looks gross after they've put in hard work instead of just sitting on their butt all the time and it's all status quo? Insane.
  • jaggerjia
    Options
    ok, I have a question about lifting (especially as a woman)
    Is it accurate that your body (any human body) will EITHER burn fat OR build muscle (bulk) but not both at the same time. That weight lifting, while eating at a calorie deficit, will help to retain muscle that that specific body already has while burning fat, but it's (your body) not going to burn fat and add (new) muscle at the same time. Is that correct? Have you, women who are not new to lifting, found that to be true?
    I truly ask out of curiosity and wondering what to expect. My goal is to burn fat; if I tone current muscle or add muscle (mass/bulk) thats awesome, but I'm not certain what to expect from my body (I recently started heavy lifting and am enjoying it immensely). Just wondering what to expect from those more experienced than me.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    I actually like starla, if i could have muscles like her? omg.

Well sorry without the manly hormone you might never get even close.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1192013104088.jpg
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    jaggerjia wrote: »
    Is it accurate that your body (any human body) will EITHER burn fat OR build muscle (bulk) but not both at the same time. That weight lifting, while eating at a calorie deficit, will help to retain muscle that that specific body already has while burning fat, but it's (your body) not going to burn fat and add (new) muscle at the same time. Is that correct? Have you, women who are not new to lifting, found that to be true?
    I truly ask out of curiosity and wondering what to expect. My goal is to burn fat; if I tone current muscle or add muscle (mass/bulk) thats awesome, but I'm not certain what to expect from my body (I recently started heavy lifting and am enjoying it immensely). Just wondering what to expect from those more experienced than me.

When i first started , i ate on a deficit and also started weight training. I lost weight and the only difference with my muscles, was that they stayed the same approx size, but as i lost weight they became more defined and shapely, and also my posture changed as they became strong and held my skeleton in place. After several years of heavy lifting and eating , they are only slightly bigger even though i'm much more stronger than before i started lifting heavy.
  • jaggerjia
    Options
    That's awesome, and inspiring! Thanks :)
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    1192013104088.jpg

Love it.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    jaggerjia wrote: »

When i first started , i ate on a deficit and also started weight training. I lost weight and the only difference with my muscles, was that they stayed the same approx size, but as i lost weight they became more defined and shapely, and also my posture changed as they became strong and held my skeleton in place. After several years of heavy lifting and eating , they are only slightly bigger even though i'm much more stronger than before i started lifting heavy.

I have had the same experience. Boy, I am no expert but you cannot bulk or build muscle while you are losing weight at a calorie deficit. Most people get to maintenance and then if they want to "bulk" they begin eating more (a lot of protein).
    I lost 45 pounds and continued to lift the whole time. I was happy with how I looked after losing. I wasn't just "skinny" and had little muscles hidden underneath.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    Question for those that workout in the gym and lift heavy; Are you offended by this type of thinking? That there are a lot of women out there that assume you gals just go to the gym and lift a bit here and there and a month later you look like Dorian Yates? That people with no knowledge of the hard work being in the gym and building muscle just think you can load a few weights on a bar and the result is Starla?

Surprised so many people (a lot of women) hold lifting heavy and weight training in such low regard.

Not really offended. Think it's unfortunate that that misconception is still out there. When I'm at 24 I notice quite a few females lifting but my gyms Zumba classes are also packed and I just think whatever works for you and gets you moving is great.

No matter how much I lift don't think I could look like this Starla I'm a fan of the DLB physique look and I respect the hard work and dedication it takes to achieve it.
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Saw a woman at the gym today doing bicep curls with 5's.... honey, you don't have to worry about getting huge unless you pay a lot of money for steroids to make you that way.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Lmao, that woman is not so bright.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncscooper.com/terms-and-conditions/

Notice of intent

This website is humorous in scope and intent. It provides fake news in a comedy setting. If you are offended, go away you worthless cretin and consider doing something else with your time rather than looking at the Internet. Any campaigns revenue that generate funds other than from regular Scooper advertising will be donated to local charities.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncscooper.com/terms-and-conditions/

Notice of intent

This website is humorous in scope and intent. It provides fake news in a comedy setting. If you are offended, go away you worthless cretin and consider doing something else with your time rather than looking at the Internet. Any campaigns revenue that generate funds other than from regular Scooper advertising will be donated to local charities.

I thought this article had a whiff of The Onion about it, thanks for the clarification.

BTW VegasFit, I love DLB, I watch her Youtube videos for inspiration and motivation.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    I just want a thigh gap and a "toned" body :s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s

Thigh gap is overrated, usually means no butt, and that can haz sadz.
  • jkwolly
    edited February 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    I just want a thigh gap and a "toned" body :s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s

Thigh gap is overrated, usually means no butt, and that can haz sadz.
    I was being sarcastic :p
  • jkwolly
    Options
    But to add, I do have one, but my butt is also sweet! YEUP.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i dont know if lifting weights will help with thigh gap, i would think squats and stuff would close that gap, at least it did for me? not that i had much gap to begin with.
  • SarahAzura
    Options
    cute, thanks!
  • 1bellringer1
    1bellringer1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I started using my sons weight bench last year to tone up my legs and work on back fat to be quite honest. I have my own little routine that I have plucked out of various programs and websites on weights to focus on the areas I wanted to fix. I still have my curves but the back fat is gone, my shoulders and arms are toned, and my thighs and legs don't wiggle when i walk so I've accomplished my goal but the weights have really made me feel better over all. When you feel stronger, you feel better.