Stressed already :(

Options
I am planning to sign up for a gym membership. The plan is to go an hour, three days per week. Mixture of cardio and weight.
Yet all I'm doing is stressing. We are a one car household, I work full time. How will I get everyone home than to the gym? How will I make sure supper is ready and cleaned up? Oh did I mention my husband works nights, so how am I fitting in the time before he needs the car to work. Than there is the cost, how will we afford it?
So in closing, how am I supposed to succeed at the gym when it's causing me so much stress already?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If it's stressing you out so much STOP

Why do you need to go to a gym? Go for a walk, do bodyweight exercises at home, find a video etc

Gym is not the be-all and end-all but if it's what you want then find a way to make it work
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Maybe the gym isn't for you. There is plenty you can do at home.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Don't sign up for the gym membership if it is adding more stress to your life. There are a ton of ways to work out at home without a gym membership. If you really want to use weights, buy a couple with what the gym membership would have cost you.
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't stress you, if time and money are an issue there are plenty of free videos online. Try fitnessblender.com it is free and has tons of different workouts for a person's fitness level/taste etc. Maybe do that first, it is free so it can't hurt, and if you still think that you need to join a gym afterwards then go from there.
  • jellybeanpumba
    jellybeanpumba Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You may need to just go when you can and the other days do something at home like go for a walk. I try not to let that kind of stuff stress me. I know I need to be more consistent with workouts but I just go with the flow and if I have time to get one in I do and if I don't then I figure out how to add something extra in other days. Sometimes all we need is to fit in some kinda physical activities in everyday even if its just for 30 mins. I count cleaning my house from top to bottom a workout! Just chill and figure out what works for you.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Also look at the expected calorie burn for that hour in the gym. If I could run (jog) at a 5 mph pace for 15 minutes, I would lose .. 150 calories. At this point, I probably can't sustain that kind of a pace for a minute, much less 15.

And look at the options you do have. Do you have a Wii? Can you get one for the same cost as the gym membership? Would you use it? Do you have ready access to YouTube or to workout videos? Would you work out to them?

The primary advantage of the gym is that having spent $50 a month (or whatever yours costs), you have some incentive to go. You also have a lot of equipment available. But - is there a jogging path where you live? Can you do jump rope in the back yard?

There are a number of options with a comparable or greater payoff, if you don't need that financial accountability.
  • acquilla30
    acquilla30 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Also try Groupon they often have a great deals. Otherwise you can go on walks, do body weight exercises for strength training and invest in some dumbbells. Check with your insurance they often offer free or discounted gym memberships.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It really sounds like it's just not a good idea for you right now. That doesn't mean it won't be in the future, but for now do what some of the others have suggested – there are so many great, free resources on the internet. There are videos, workout plans, etc. Personally I love body weight exercise, which gets your heart rate up and is great for strength, too. Walking is also a favorite – it's great exercise and you can take it easy or push yourself!
  • sarahkast88
    sarahkast88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There are so many videos on youtube now! You can type in the area you want to target i.e. 20 minute ab workout and so many things will pop up!

The gym is hard enough when you DONT have those strains... I have a membership and I joke that I am just making donations...

If you are motivated, do it from home :)
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Work out with videos in the winter and go outside in the nice months. No need for a gym.

Weigh loss is dependent on a calorie deficient - exercise isn't required. How about starting out controlling your intake, then take steps to exercise? You don't have to do it all at the same time.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    For awhile i used to go spinning classes when i could fit them in, otherwise all workouts done at home.
    lots of youtube suggestions on this post you can check out. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31165751#Comment_31165751
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't care for working out at a gym for similar reasons. I love working out at home. So much easier.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of cardio and weight activities you can do at home. Take the money you would've spent on the first month's gym membership fee and use it to buy some dumbbells, a kettleball and a light yoga mat. Find some free fitness videos on YouTube, FitnessBlender, etc. and do some 30-minute workouts at home. For cardio, go outside and walk or run!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, don't spend money on a gym if you are this stressed before even going. A gym is not required for health or fitness. Stress is not healthy.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Maybe the gym isn't for you. There is plenty you can do at home.
    This. I only just started paying for a community center (and only because I needed to start swimming and I don't have my own pool, lol). For the two years before that, it was walking and bodyweight exercises. One thing that might help is to do a little research on healthy meals that are quick to put together. Also, make use of your crockpot a few times a week. If you plan to do something 3x a week, make sure that on those nights, dinner is fast and easy. There are lots of cookbooks and cooking magazines out there with fantastic recipes. And as for exercise, there are loads of things you can do at home. My cable company has workouts on demand and they are a great way to get a workout in when it's not convenient or possible to leave the house (although I do have to rearrange furniture a bit).

Good luck!

• Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Once I started thinking of it as something that was non negotiable in my day, as in, "I was late for the gym, now I'm going to be late for work," not "I was late for the gym, guess I"m going to miss it," I noticed it suddenly fit in really easily. It was when I was treating it as a sort of schedule pressure relief valve that it seemed hard to "get in" because I was still thinking of it as something to "get in" not just an immutable fact of my life.
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Agree that if it's causing you this much stress it's not the solution for you right now. Sure this journey involves some work but it should make your life easier, not more difficult. Maybe later if circumstances are different you can revisit the idea.

That being said, can you work out at home? Do you have any time that you can dedicate to yourself in the day to work out? Even 10 minutes is something to start. You can easily find apps that provide free workouts, YouTube channels that provide great workouts, I've used Pinterest a LOT for workout ideas (all time lengths, even ones for cramped spaces/hotel rooms etc).

There are a lot of resources out there to inspire and help. So if the gym isn't in the cards, that's totally okay. Just find some more tools for your toolbox :D
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I can't do a gym; I run late getting to my living room, every morning. ;) I'm a big fan of previewing videos on youtube, then buying them on half.com. I myself personally would use the gym membership money to save up for something super awesome like: http://www.amazon.com/Bowflex-SelectTech-Adjustable-Dumbbells-Pair/dp/B00O89FXF6

I'm trying to have a good year in hopes that santa will bring me some of those for christmas. ;)
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If its stressing you out, don't do it. That is counter-productive. Find something you can do at home early in the morning or in the evening after you've done what you need to do for your family.
  • kroff2003
    kroff2003 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Watch craigslist for equipment instead. My husband and I bought a bike, brand new that just sat in someone's house being a clothes hanger CHEAP! People will be giving up on their new years resolutions soon so watch for some. We bought a weight bench and weights for less than 100 too. You can find lots that way and then you can exercise at your convenience.