Sweet food makes me hungry

Options
I've never had a sweet tooth and whenever I eat more sweet than fatty, I get hungry real quick.

For example, I can eat cheese and feel satisfied for hours, but if I eat the same amount of cheese with pasta, I'll feel hungry 1 hour after.
Another example, if I make myself a smoothie in the morning, I get hungry by 9 am.
If I eat whole wheat toast, eggs and bacon (less calories than the smoothie), I won't even be that hungry by noon.

I want to eat more fruits and stuff, but I'm having a hard not being hungry all the time.

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Try veggies instead of fruit if the sweet part is doing it. Make salads, or roast them in the oven with a little olive oil and salt. Some of them are still naturally sweet, but not to the extent of something like melon or bananas.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'd be hungry after a smoothie too, as I tend to find breakfasts that are mostly carbs not filling and also drinking food rather than eating it not filling. I'd say experiment to see what the issue is for you. For me I like to make sure my breakfast has both lots of protein and some fat. I usually have a 2 egg omelet with veggies and some additional protein or, on occasion, steel cut oats with berries and protein powder plus some additional veggies and either a little protein with fat in it or some nuts.

The pasta thing is interesting since pasta is basically the same thing as toast. Maybe see if eating whole grain pasta helps or just try a different food. (I've never experienced a food making me more hungry than not eating it at all, but I know others have said that happens to them with processed carbs.)
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    It's because you get an insulin spike from the sweetness and when that subsides, your body tells you to replenish it. When you have the toast, eggs and bacon, you have do not have the insulin spike, as your body burns that fuel more steadily without an urgent need to replenish it...something like that. It's a good thing that you know this about yourself, now you just have to work on controlling it.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    DAM5412 wrote: »
    It's because you get an insulin spike from the sweetness and when that subsides, your body tells you to replenish it. When you have the toast, eggs and bacon, you have do not have the insulin spike, as your body burns that fuel more steadily without an urgent need to replenish it...something like that. It's a good thing that you know this about yourself, now you just have to work on controlling it.

this ...
    a balance of carbs, protein, fats is what you need at each meal and snack.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah. The smoothie will hit you hard but taper off quick once insulin kicks in. As a diabetic in remission, I still eat like a diabetic and I approach fruit with caution. I still get my quota for the day but I prefer vegetables.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Yes, carbs do that to you...especially simple carbs.