Kicking the Sugar Habit- Challenge

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    "The American Heart Association recommends limiting intake of added sugar to 5 teaspoons for women and 9 teaspoons for men. For reference, one 12-ounce can of cola contains about 8 teaspoons of added sugar, for about 130 calories. Most American women should eat or drink no more than 100 calories per day from added sugars, and most American men should eat or drink no more than 150 calories per day form added sugars. Unfortunately, Americans are consuming 22 and 30 teaspoons of the sweet stuff each day."

5 teaspoons = 20 grams. 9 teaspoons = 36 grams. For reference, one Yoplait yogurt with the goopy "fruit" on the bottom contains 28 grams. And it is promoted as some sort of "health" food.

To be fair, a decent percentage of that is fruit and milk sugar.

Once again, you make my points before me!

;-)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    "The American Heart Association recommends limiting intake of added sugar to 5 teaspoons for women and 9 teaspoons for men. For reference, one 12-ounce can of cola contains about 8 teaspoons of added sugar, for about 130 calories. Most American women should eat or drink no more than 100 calories per day from added sugars, and most American men should eat or drink no more than 150 calories per day form added sugars. Unfortunately, Americans are consuming 22 and 30 teaspoons of the sweet stuff each day."

5 teaspoons = 20 grams. 9 teaspoons = 36 grams. For reference, one Yoplait yogurt with the goopy "fruit" on the bottom contains 28 grams. And it is promoted as some sort of "health" food.

(I like Fage plain which has no added sugar, although it has sugar, of course),

Fage plain fistbump! Every other Greek yogurt tastes awful to me now that I started eating it.

• Marybeatles
    Options
    OH man. Ok so I think its great that you are making a declaration for yourself! I think its excellent. I am a compulsive overeater/addicted to food. People with addictions have many different types of substances that they are addicted too. it could be that you have an allergy to sugar and you will crave it more. I go to meetings for this, but it is not necessarily your situation. I believe you can do this :) so I am sending you encouragement.

I am interested in your challenge, but I do use soy creamer in my food and dont want to give that up. If i can be in your challenge with my soy creamer, then im in. :) Let me know. Where is the site you speak of/sugarbusters? I know theres a book by that name, but is there something on this site for the group? Im new and have not explored this stuff. Good luck :)
  • RonnieTiajuana
    RonnieTiajuana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am in for no sugar drinks and treats!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your pointless deprivation plan

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

This....following my special treat consisting of a Vegan Chocolate Chip cookie, with 32 grams of sugar and 350 calories, from Peet's Coffee. Not my usual, but I am very full now and it will carry me over until dinner time. For me, sugar is satiating.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

This....following my special treat consisting of a Vegan Chocolate Chip cookie, with 32 grams of sugar and 350 calories, from Peet's Coffee. Not my usual, but I am very full now and it will carry me over until dinner time. For me, sugar is satiating.

it's crazy how just one cookie can push someone over the recommended levels. makes me think the recommended levels can just be ignored.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »

it's crazy how just one cookie can push someone over the recommended levels. makes me think the recommended levels can just be ignored.

It's all about perspective. I don't watch sugar, so I don't care if it put me over levels recommended by anyone. It's moderation in my overall diet, and it was darned delishioschious!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Sorry pretty kitty but I can't read anything you type. On mobile and the jail cell covers your entire post.

She said:

What's the difference between a craving and self-control? Why is it always when people say they want to give up refined sugar, which is usually in products that are loaded with calories and provide little satiety, they are attacked on MFP? Someone above said the OP needs therapy. Are you kidding me?

Good for you, OP. Cut back on refined sugar, and it is likely you will be able to eat fewer calories and have a more successful weight loss journey. Not everyone can have the incredible self-control when it comes to sugar that some of the posters have, and think everyone should have.

And you don't need therapy. You need encouragement.

Hope that helps :)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Wow so this got out of control

Welcome to MFP sugar threads - thank god you didn't mention Paleo.

Personally I found cutting back on carbs in general and doing a 30 day elimination of sweets and grains helped.

After 30 days I then chose what stuff to re-introduce in moderation and surprisingly it was very little.

I personally found I was eating a lot of calorie dense high carb junk food out of just habit.

Good luck on you personal study of one.

Truth of the matter is pretty much every one of the responses you've been given are irrelevant - what works for them might not necessarily work for you and vice versa.

Best advise is give it a go. Apart from trans fats, sugar is probably the least healthy food group, so you're not missing out by cutting back on it and its a great way to cut back on calories to get into and stay in a deficit.