Best book to get started lifting?

Options
lambjoo
lambjoo Posts: 60 Member
I am a 42 year old female in good shape but would love to be more defined. I instruct tae kwon do three times a week and walk daily but would love to have more defined muscles, not bulky, just toned more. I have never had any experience with lifting weights and can't afford a trainer or gym. However, I do have the bench and weights that my son left when he went to college. I would love to get started lifting but don't want to get hurt by not using the proper form when lifting. Can anyone give me a good starting place as in a book or DVD to make sure my form is correct and learn how to set up a schedule of when to lift, what to do etc?

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I am a 42 year old female in good shape but would love to be more defined. I instruct tae kwon do three times a week and walk daily but would love to have more defined muscles, not bulky, just toned more. I have never had any experience with lifting weights and can't afford a trainer or gym. However, I do have the bench and weights that my son left when he went to college. I would love to get started lifting but don't want to get hurt by not using the proper form when lifting. Can anyone give me a good starting place as in a book or DVD to make sure my form is correct and learn how to set up a schedule of when to lift, what to do etc?

Starting strength, hands down. Even if you don't follow the programme and end up doing something else, you'll want to refer back to the descriptions of the main lifts time and again. He really lays out all the mechanics and it's very detailed.

He also has a video that goes along with it where he films himself coaching various people with their lifts. It's very instructive and you can see what kind of things constitute form breakdown as he's pointing them out.

I think it should be required reading/watching for anybody starting out.....
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Not only does Starting Strength show good form, it also shows common mistakes and how to solve them. SS and Stronglifts 5x5 are similar programs. You might read SS and then do the Stronglifts routine, since you probably don't have bumper plates for Cleans.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Starting strength also requires a squat rack.