Options

Replies

• trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    trojan_bb wrote: »
    Cool. So glad it's not the food industry! And Nike blows, they're some of the worst of the worst when it comes to human rights. I hope underarmor is better. They say they are. Taking at face value until I read otherwise.

the average worker in some Nike factories makes double the median wage of workers in that country. That's like an assembly line worker in the US making almost $100,000 annually. There is a long line of applicants waiting to work there because the conditions and pay is so favorable.

But I guess they should be paid the equivalent of the US median income ($50k per household)? That's fair right? That would mean a worker in Indonesia would 7 times the average income in Indonesia by working at Nike (average income in indonesia is $7000 us dollars adjusted for purchasing power). That's like a US assembly line worker making $300,00

Makes total sense.

Straw Man argument. If we must have capitalism at all (which is debatable but nevermind) people should earn a good wage based on the economies they live in, of course.

However, I did some quick reading just now, and there might be some hope for Nike after all. Found this:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303873604579493502231397942

Nike ended its relationship with Lyric after its pending production orders were filled last July. It decided it would stick with four other factories in modern buildings in Bangladesh's export-processing zones.

What is straw man about my argument?

The average nike worker in 3rd world countries makes between 100% and 400% of the average national income. Hardly a sweatshop.

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Cool. So glad it's not the food industry! And Nike blows, they're some of the worst of the worst when it comes to human rights. I hope underarmor is better. They say they are. Taking at face value until I read otherwise.

the average worker in some Nike factories makes double the median wage of workers in that country. That's like an assembly line worker in the US making almost $100,000 annually. There is a long line of applicants waiting to work there because the conditions and pay is so favorable.

But I guess they should be paid the equivalent of the US median income ($50k per household)? That's fair right? That would mean a worker in Indonesia would 7 times the average income in Indonesia by working at Nike (average income in indonesia is $7000 us dollars adjusted for purchasing power). That's like a US assembly line worker making $300,00

Makes total sense.

Straw Man argument. If we must have capitalism at all (which is debatable but nevermind) people should earn a good wage based on the economies they live in, of course.

However, I did some quick reading just now, and there might be some hope for Nike after all. Found this:

Nike ended its relationship with Lyric after its pending production orders were filled last July. It decided it would stick with four other factories in modern buildings in Bangladesh's export-processing zones.

The average nike worker in 3rd world countries makes between 100% and 400% of the average national income. Hardly a sweatshop.

What difference does your statistic make, if all it means is that everyone else is also living in dire poverty?

At one time Nike refused to even pay Indonesian workers the minimum wage. In addition, there is a documentary floating around of two people who went and lived with Nike workers in China. The conditions were deplorable, the poverty desperate.

Link to documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5uYCWVfuPQ
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Does that mean I need to be fit to use MFP now? Under Amour hates fat people!
  • trojan_bb
    edited February 2015
    Options

Makes total sense.

What difference does your statistic make, if all it means is that everyone else is also living in dire poverty?

Because it is not poverty. It makes all the difference in the world.

• Jolinia
    edited February 2015
    Options

Makes total sense.

Of course it. It's like claiming the English landowners who bought the day labor of the starving Irish for a bowl of watery soup were just and moral when they created the conditions in the first place.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

Makes total sense.

Of course it. It's like claiming the English landowners who bought the day labor of the starving Irish for a bowl of watery soup were just and moral when they created the conditions in the first place.

They should stop complaining and get better jobs or an education....
  • Jolinia
    Options

Makes total sense.

They should stop complaining and get better jobs or an education....

Darn right, hunger and 20 hour work days sharpen the mind. They're wasting those other four hours on sleep. Silly humans! ;)
  • trojan_bb
    Options

Makes total sense.

It is?

the average worker in indonesian nike factories makes 3x to 5x the threshold for poverty in that country (poverty level is 200,000 rupiahs per month)

Is a US worker making $70K living in poverty?
  • Jolinia
    Options

Makes total sense.

It is?

the average worker in indonesian nike factories makes 3x to 5x the threshold for poverty in that country (poverty level is 200,000 rupiahs per month)

Poverty does not equal your average against the average of everyone else, much less across borders.

If you can't afford decent housing, healthy food, medicine, and to educate and raise your children, you are living in poverty. And yes, many Americans are, as well.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    in many urban areas it could be debatable if that were the total household income...but that "poverty" would be quite attractive to the outside world.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    bravid98 wrote: »

What were we talking about? This post has taken some interesting turns.
    Now, back to UA acquiring MFP. For my 2 quid:

If the acquisition alters MFP in a unfavorable way so what. Should MFP stops being the best thing out there there are certainly enough competition in a saturated market to find another.
  • trojan_bb
    Options

Makes total sense.

It is?

Poverty does not equal your average against the average of everyone else, much less across borders.

If you can't afford decent housing, healthy food, medicine, and to educate and raise your children, you are living in poverty. And yes, many Americans are, as well.

you absolutely do not understand how poverty levels are measured. It is NOT an average against the average of everyone else. It DIRECTLY accounts for the affordability of housing, health, food, and education. The World Bank, among others, employs a number of people that measure and update the poverty level each year. It has absolutely nothing to do with the average income. If it did, the % living under the poverty level would be a constant. it's not.

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

that is so ridiculously easy to say, but ridiculously hard to legislate...
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Wth does any of this have to do with Under Armor?
  • Jolinia
    Options

Makes total sense.

It is?

you absolutely do not understand how poverty levels are measured. It is NOT an average against the average of everyone else. It DIRECTLY accounts for the affordability of housing, health, food, and education. The World Bank, among others, employs a number of people that measure and update the poverty level each year. It has absolutely nothing to do with the average income. If it did, the % living under the poverty level would be a constant. it's not.

I didn't say it did. I said if you can't afford healthy food, decent housing, to raise and educate your kids, and medicine, you live in poverty. I'll also add if the only way you can afford to have those things is to work unhealthy hours and/or in unhealthy conditions you are also in a form of poverty.

The companies and we who buy from them have a responsibility to not make conditions worse for people when they go into another community to do business. Many corporations go in, change the local economy, use the local resources, and overwork the people they hire. Then if the community demands better conditions, the company will pull out and go someplace cheaper, leaving that community decimated.
  • trojan_bb
    edited February 2015
    Options

Makes total sense.

It is?

I didn't say it did. I said if you can't afford healthy food, decent housing, to raise and educate your kids, and medicine, you live in poverty. I'll also add if the only way you can afford to have those things is to work unhealthy hours and/or in unhealthy conditions you are also in a form of poverty.

so, by definition of being paid 3x to 5x the poverty threshold, the employees can afford healthy food, decent housing, education, and medicine. glad we got that cleared up.

anyways, back to under armour

• Jolinia
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Not if the cost of those is prohibitive to all but the wealthy. In many countries there is no middle class, much less a prosperous lower middle class. You have a huge gap between ordinary people and those who can afford the housing, medicine, and food. In other words, in a slum, if I make three dollars a day and my buddy makes one, neither of us can afford a house because you need to make ten dollars a day to get that house.
  • trojan_bb
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Not if the cost of those is prohibitive to all but the wealthy. In many countries there is no middle class, much less a prosperous lower middle class. You have a huge gap between ordinary people and those who can afford the housing, medicine, and food. In other words, in a slum, if I make three dollars a day and my buddy makes one, neither of us can afford a house because you need to make ten dollars a day to get that house.

good thing the costs of daily life are the sole factors in determining the poverty level.

good thing the costs of daily life are the sole factors in determining the poverty level.

Okay, are we approaching the same thing from different angles, or are you just trying to play word games with me now? If you can't afford to feed your children healthy food, who cares if you make ten times what your buddy makes who also can't afford to feed her children healthy food?

because they *can* afford those things.

can you please just look up what poverty thresholds mean? They mean YOU CAN afford healthy food. By definition. By the very definition of the word. The employees make 3x to 5x the required income needed to afford minimal standards of food, housing, medicine, and health. it's that simple.
  • Jolinia
    Options

Okay, are we approaching the same thing from different angles, or are you just trying to play word games with me now? If you can't afford to feed your children healthy food, who cares if you make ten times what your buddy makes who also can't afford to feed her children healthy food?
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Jolinia you are way in over your head here. @trojan_bb def correct here, and you are just ignoring facts.

The fact that Nike factories pay more then the cost of living (poverty line) to those people means that they getting better jobs then offered in most places in their country to uneducated. You also need to take into around the laws in other countries before you can make an argument about work conditions.

Do you have a documentary that compares Nike factories to another factory in the same city as comparison of deplorable conditions? Are are you pulling at straws trying to just argue and be anti Nike?

Nike in the US is an amazing place to work for that unbelievable benefits. How are they different then most other companies that send factories oversees? It is still cheaper, because difference in cost of living and minimum wage.

And I can guarantee that anyone make $70k a year is not in poverty. They are either crappy with fiances and budgeting or they are just lying.