Lost 11 lbs but feel just as fat as before.

Options
NiqueKristan
NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all! I have lost 11 pounds in a month. It shows on the scale but I still feel like a big blob.
I'm 5"6, started at 222 and I'm now 211z
Also, my weight loss feels slow. I've lost 50 pounds before, all in 4 months.
I have a knee injury now and a very hectic schedule so I don't have time to do as much exercise before and now everything is low impact.
Any encouragement or ideas as to why I don't feel better after losing 11 pounds please? I drink tons of water and exercise 5 times a week. Been eating healthy although I haven't been logging.

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    First off, the time you lost 50 pounds in 4 months, did you regain some or all of it? That's probably because you lost it too fast. And now in your mind, you're expecting to lose it that quickly again, and you're feeling frustrated that you're not.

You need to reset your expectations. Slow and steady. A pound a week is a good pace. The slower you lose, the better you'll do at retaining essential muscle mass. Also, you'll be losing it at a pace that involves eating a diet that you can keep up indefinitely. That equals lifestyle change, which equals keeping the weight off once it's gone.

The first 11 pounds probably included a fair bit of water weight. The reason you still feel like a "big blob" is partly because you're way too hard on yourself, and partly because losing water weight won't have a huge effect on your body's shape or how toned and fit you feel.

Just keep at it. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Eat enough, exercise moderately as your injury allows, and keep a sense of balance. You'll get there.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding? 11 pounds is terrific. You did not put the weight on over night and it is not coming off over night either. You need to celebrate your loss and keep doing what you are doing. Congrats so far :)
  • AntonioP23
    AntonioP23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I have lost 11 pounds in a month. It shows on the scale but I still feel like a big blob.
    I have a knee injury now and a very hectic schedule so I don't have time to do as much exercise before and now everything is low impact.
    Any encouragement or ideas as to why I don't feel better after losing 11 pounds please? I drink tons of water and exercise 5 times a week. Been eating healthy although I haven't been logging.

I really good way to gauge the effects of your weighloss would be comparing pictures or how your clothes feel...

Well done on losing lots of weight...your metabolism may have adjusted to your calorie level hence the slowing of fat loss.

How accurate are you logging every day? There may be a difference in what you are consuming and what you think you are.

I had double knee surgery 6 months ago so I feel your pain - I managed to take TOTAL control over my diet as exercising wasn't possible.

I can only do walking right now and weight lifting for my upper body.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,440 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    First off, the time you lost 50 pounds in 4 months, did you regain some or all of it? That's probably because you lost it too fast. And now in your mind, you're expecting to lose it that quickly again, and you're feeling frustrated that you're not.

You need to reset your expectations. Slow and steady. A pound a week is a good pace. The slower you lose, the better you'll do at retaining essential muscle mass. Also, you'll be losing it at a pace that involves eating a diet that you can keep up indefinitely. That equals lifestyle change, which equals keeping the weight off once it's gone.

The first 11 pounds probably included a fair bit of water weight. The reason you still feel like a "big blob" is partly because you're way too hard on yourself, and partly because losing water weight won't have a huge effect on your body's shape or how toned and fit you feel.

Just keep at it. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Eat enough, exercise moderately as your injury allows, and keep a sense of balance. You'll get there.

I don't think I could say it any better.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Because you have unrealistic expectations. If you arent logging then how are you going to know you will be eating at a deficit?
  • NiqueKristan
    Options

I did gain it all back plus 10 pounds.
    What you're saying makes a lot of sense, thank you so much for taking time to respond :smile:

• NiqueKristan
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Are you kidding? 11 pounds is terrific. You did not put the weight on over night and it is not coming off over night either. You need to celebrate your loss and keep doing what you are doing. Congrats so far :)
    Thank you so much!!!
  • NiqueKristan
    Options
    AntonioP23 wrote: »

I really good way to gauge the effects of your weighloss would be comparing pictures or how your clothes feel...

Well done on losing lots of weight...your metabolism may have adjusted to your calorie level hence the slowing of fat loss.

How accurate are you logging every day? There may be a difference in what you are consuming and what you think you are.

I had double knee surgery 6 months ago so I feel your pain - I managed to take TOTAL control over my diet as exercising wasn't possible.

Wow how did knee surgery go? I'm considering it.
    That's great you are strict with your diet. I am on Jenny Craig now, and because I follow it 100% I'm 1500 cals a day

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I have lost nearly 50lbs in 6 months and don't really feel any different. My size 14 pant size says otherwise, though. I have steadily been losing a max of 3lbs per week (to start I was 262lbs so my jump into a deficit and daily walking helped it come off faster) to only .5lbs per week. Don't be hard on yourself, take a picture of your progress and continue to take a new picture every month or so. :smile:
  • NiqueKristan
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Because you have unrealistic expectations. If you arent logging then how are you going to know you will be eating at a deficit?
    I stopped logging because I started Jenny Craig and I am following it exactly, measuring and all. 1500 cals a day.

• lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Pictures, pictures, pictures! When I feel like nothing I'm doing is working I look at past pictures and WOW! I can finally see the difference! It's hard to see when you have nothing to compare...our memories are faulty.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    You're probably not going to get a lot of favourable opinions of packaged diet solutions like Jenny Craig on MFP, because this site is designed for people who want to lose weight using the calorie counting method.

Obviously, nobody's gonna tell you what to do. If you're happy doing what you're doing, there's nothing wrong with it.

But just so you know: The reason these companies make so much money is that they set you up basically to yo-yo diet. They tell you to just eat their food and follow their plan for a short, time-limited period so that you'll lose the weight. Then when you stop, you haven't actually learned about nutrition or calorie deficits, you aren't equipped with the vital skills to keep the weight off, so most people re-gain. And then they make more money by getting you to sign up again, and again, and again...

So by all means, stick with Jenny Craig, but I'd also urge you to take the opportunity to learn the theory behind it. That will help you transition into healthy habits for life, with your own food, totally free.
  • NiqueKristan
    Options
    You're probably not going to get a lot of favourable opinions of packaged diet solutions like Jenny Craig on MFP, because this site is designed for people who want to lose weight using the calorie counting method.

Obviously, nobody's gonna tell you what to do. If you're happy doing what you're doing, there's nothing wrong with it.

But just so you know: The reason these companies make so much money is that they set you up basically to yo-yo diet. They tell you to just eat their food and follow their plan for a short, time-limited period so that you'll lose the weight. Then when you stop, you haven't actually learned about nutrition or calorie deficits, you aren't equipped with the vital skills to keep the weight off, so most people re-gain. And then they make more money by getting you to sign up again, and again, and again...

So by all means, stick with Jenny Craig, but I'd also urge you to take the opportunity to learn the theory behind it. That will help you transition into healthy habits for life, with your own food, totally free.
    I actually do agree with you. I lost weight before calorie counting on mfp and I came back and started losing weight again with mfp. I'm only doing Jenny for a couple more months then back to calorie counting. I'm mainly doing it for convenience and getting back into portion control and eating every few hours.
    I really hope I don't yoyo in my case. On a positive note, the things are similar to what I do on my own. I can still eat yogurt, egg whites, nuts and edamame.. And I'm always on the go so the breakfast lunch and dinner make it easy peasy (:
  • AntonioP23
    AntonioP23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    AntonioP23 wrote: »

Wow how did knee surgery go? I'm considering it.
    That's great you are strict with your diet. I am on Jenny Craig now, and because I follow it 100% I'm 1500 cals a day

It went ok thanks - will see in next couple of months if it worked.

OK - I'm from London so not too sure what that plan is like.

Feel free to add me and check out my diary.

I eat at random times as I'm busy - I prelog the night before and plan ahead.

Also - I like having a big meal in the evening so I enjoy things!
  • melly0405
    melly0405 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If you feel as though 11 lbs isn't much, the next time you are in the supermarket pick up a 10 lb bag of potatoes and carry it around with you. After a while you will realize that the 11 lbs you lost really does make a difference. Don't get discouraged and keep up the great work!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    11 pounds is excellent, WTG! Keep doing what you're doing and be patient.
  • NikkyT30
    NikkyT30 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love the 10lb bag idea. 11 pounds loss is a great start!!! Be patient.... Stick to it... You will get there. Good luck:)
  • savinoca
    Options
    I do the same thing. One day I'll be thinking how great I look (compared to 50 lbs ago), and the next day all I can think is how fat I look when looking in the mirror, that I've always looked this fat, that I'll always look this fat.

It's a mental health issue (for me, at least).

I just have learned to acknowledge that it's all in my mind, that I do look better, and move on. By doing that consistently over the years these negative thoughts happen less and less, and when they do come, it's easier for me to make them go away.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Even when I got to the 80 pound mark, I did not feel a lot different. It took finding some before pictures that I did not know I had to actually SEE the difference. That is when I could start to get my mind around it.

Slow loss is good if you want to make a lasting change.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    melly0405 wrote: »
    If you feel as though 11 lbs isn't much, the next time you are in the supermarket pick up a 10 lb bag of potatoes and carry it around with you. After a while you will realize that the 11 lbs you lost really does make a difference. Don't get discouraged and keep up the great work!

Strap on a back pack filled with 11lbs of potatoes and walk around with it on all day and night.
    I think it's a great result. Well done to you :+1: