Atkins

Options
Ok, I have been logging my food for the past week, while following Atkins. I have to keep under 20g of carbs. Anyone else get the message that they are not eating enough calories? I am full all day, and I cannot add much else or I'll go over carbs...

Replies

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You will get that message if your Net calories are less that 1200 .... if you enter exercise into your day, it will give back calories for you to eat. If you are logging all your food, but do not exercise, then you haven't eaten enough food. That's based on the medical information that MFP follows. .... not lower than 1200 for a woman and 1500 for a man. Even that is very low.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    You should have your macros set to 20g of carbs and make up the difference with protein and fat. If you're not hitting your calories, you're not eating enough protein, or possibly fat. The protein is far more important of the two.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    You should have your macros set to 20g of carbs and make up the difference with protein and fat. If you're not hitting your calories, you're not eating enough protein, or possibly fat. The protein is far more important of the two.

That's highly debatable
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »

That's highly debatable
    Not on lc it's not.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I could never do Atkins and eat a lot of protein over carbs and fat because it would put me into ketosis and that's not a good place to be when you are a Diabetic. It ruins your kidneys.

So I follow a restricted carb diet ... 40% of calories and make both fat and protein be 30%.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    soccrplyr9 wrote: »
    Ok, I have been logging my food for the past week, while following Atkins. I have to keep under 20g of carbs. Anyone else get the message that they are not eating enough calories? I am full all day, and I cannot add much else or I'll go over carbs...

In my opinion Atkins is not a good option 1) meat has loads of fat and the bad one, saturated (if you look the chemistry formula of carbohydrate and fat molecule you will see that fats are wayy slower to break down then carbs) also cholesterol, hormones etc 2) cows milk is meant for cow babies to make them grow faster => imagine how it will affect weight loss 3) there is not much fibre in meat so you will go to the bathroom less often 4) vegan 3 months and never felt better in my life and I used to love meat. I recommened you rawtill4 vegan lifestyle ( you eat raw veggies, nuts and fruits till dinner and then you eat cooked vegan food or starch diet (you eat cooked vegan food) the benefits are that it is long term,you don't have to restrict yourself and you can't feel bloated on fruits and veggies (also your skin gets clear).
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    NK1112 wrote: »
    I could never do Atkins and eat a lot of protein over carbs and fat because it would put me into ketosis and that's not a good place to be when you are a Diabetic. It ruins your kidneys.

So I follow a restricted carb diet ... 40% of calories and make both fat and protein be 30%.

Please read https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/stars/stars-written/jason-wyrick/ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2847116/How-vegetarian-CURE-diabetes-Plant-based-diets-improve-blood-sugar-levels-scientists-claim.html Hope it helps you ! Worth trying I think.
  • Runklir
    Runklir Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi there, OP! You may find much better answers to your questions over at Reddit's keto forum: www.reddit.com/r/keto.

They specifically have a tutorial on how to set up your macros to fit your needs. And a nifty little macro calculator based on your height weight etc.

Edit: I've started out with standard keto and for the longest I was lingering around 1000 -1200 cals a day. Make sure to get your daily calorie needs calculated tough, because I've seen much faster fat loss at higher calories.

Best of luck!