Turning 50 this year with 30 lb to lose

Options
i fought against tracking foods for years, telling myself I didn't need that! All I did was gain weight. Now I'm on board and ready to really make a change. I want to be as healthy as I can be by my birthday in June. I need friends to help motivate me. I'm a positive person and will return the favor! This is all new to me and I especially would appreciate hearing from anyone else struggling with the start of menopause and the difficulty losing weight as we get older.

Replies

• kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    On a different note, I attended a professional networking meeting last night, and about 6 out of the 10 people there, mostly women around 40-50 were successfully engaged in weight loss "programs". All had been making progress for 6 months to 2+ years. All were counsellors/psychologists - so they should be ahead of the game on behaviour change. But it's definitely doable and tracking is the number one key. Cheers.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    When I was 51, I had 30 pounds to lose. I lost and gained and lost and gained. Then I turned 62 and had 50 pounds to lose. Well, I put my foot down and decided no more!!! I've lost 17 pounds in the past couple of months. Tracking food and exercise rocks. I was doing it loosely for about six months and lost ten pounds, but since joining MFP I've lost seven pounds in about three weeks.
  • Tao09
    Tao09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, turning 50 in November and wanting to loose. For years all I did was gain, lose, gain lose and when I gain I seem to gain more that I lost. Now I'm determined, something's gotta give. I've set myself a goal of starting with losing at least 1lb per week. I'm on day 1 of no added sugar and using less salt. In addition, I'm aiming at hitting the gym at least 3 times/week. Will see how that goes. :'(
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the 50s! I am 53 and willing supporter.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    krazykarenn, are you still here?