What cardio can I do while injured?

Options
in the past two months I was running every other day and I had run a 5k. About a week ago I've been feeling pain in my ankles only when running, and some occasional shin pain. I ran through it a couple times but I'm starting to think that's not beneficial. Can i do difficult elliptical workouts or should I rest my ankles and legs completely ? Thanks

Replies

• gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I imagine it would depend on the exact diagnosis.

when I was injured, my doctor told me I'd still heal up fine if I did low impact things like the elliptical. But if I were you I'd be 100% sure you weren't prolonging your recovery...
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I remember my mother once telling me something about "jarming," which was supposed to be like arm jogging. Basically, it was cardio all done while seated in a (wheel)chair. Arm movements, especially over the head, raise the heart rate quite well. Simple leg movements (while seated) that don't stress the ankle could be included. With the right music, it might be fun! And only until you heal.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    See an orthopedist. You probably have tendinitus from overuse, but I'm not a doctor.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Depends on the exact injury but you could look at cycling, boxing, swimming (with or without pool buoy) or battle ropes
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I would try something lower-impact, like swimming.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Not a doctor so I can't say what you should do but here's what I would do and have done.

First, I would take a week of total rest - no working out at all. This isn't really going to set you back. Also, I would begin stretching including foam roller stuff for runners like hamstring/calf/IT band for example, if I hadn't already been doing it. On week two, I'd start a light amount of low impact like elliptical machine and continue with the stretching. If still no problems, I'd return to running on week three - but I'd take it easy. Continue stretching program. If the problem came back or got significantly worse during any of this time I'd visit a doctor.

Before returning to running, I'd consider whether I've been running with the wrong type of shoe or possibly worn out shoes. The problems you describe are often related to overpronation.
  • pbandz
    pbandz Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's shoes because my shoes are still pretty new. I may just skip anything today then and do my regular stretches and such. Thanks
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    pbandz wrote: »
    I don't think it's shoes because my shoes are still pretty new. I may just skip anything today then and do my regular stretches and such. Thanks

Sounds like a plan. I'm an "old dude" so I take extra care not to get hurt. Overly cautious maybe. :)