This is why calorie counting works for me

Options
I'm perfectly aware no one thing works for everyone. And to be frank, I mostly find calorie counting a tedious pain in the rear.

But there are days like today...

I don't know what it was late this afternoon, but I just totally HAD to have a muffin. And by muffin, I mean those 500 calorie cupcakes masquerading as muffins. The ones that are CLEARLY baked in outsized muffin tins and drizzled with vanilla icing. You know what I'm talking about.

Now, I could have let it throw my day, worried about what it would do to what I planned for dinner and just accept that I'd blown my diet for the day.

Then I kinda facepalmed, because I'd bought into Evil Foods diets so much. While yes, that's a LOT of calories, I realized something. If I wanted to stay within my calories (and I did) I didn't have to skip dinner. Or even have a custard cup sized portion of the spaghetti I'd planned.

Nope, nope, nope.

If you don't put any meat on it, you can eat a pretty respectible-sized salad for very little calories. Now, this isn't any sort of self-punishment in my case. I like salad, and a 200 calorie salad (WITH a bit of bacon bits and enough dressing, I might add) was a fine dinner after the muffin (since I kinda wasn't really hungry after that) and kept within my calorie goals.

Do I do stuff like this every day? Good lord no! (Well, I'd eat the salad, but have something more calorie-dense with it)

But I like that it's an option without blowing my diet.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting wins because it allows us to eat foods we love and not worry about how it will affect our goals because we can plainly wee in black and white the effects it will have. No guess work, no need to cut out something we crave... I might just have two brownies tonight myself, although not sure yet since I do need to get in my protein needs.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm more likely to have the eggs or chicken breast myself -- on a normal day.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I did the same today except with a calorie heavy bowl of homemade chili. It was delicious and I can still have a nice piece of fish and some vegetables with my 250 calories left LOL maybe some frozen berries for dessert

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm more likely to have the eggs or chicken breast myself -- on a normal day.

lol same. The highest I tend to go on calorie-dense treats is ~300 calories, but that's not a huge portion of my calories so I can justify it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    exactly why i worry more about calories than WHAT im eating. i try to make good choices but when i dont.... its no biggie.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    The important thing here is that you were in control. You decided what course of action to take and you had the will power to follow through and stay within your self imposed limits.

I for one am standing and applauding. Here here!
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness! I totally understand. Counting calories has been eye-opening for me and it does allow me to eat what I want. I don't have to cut out bread or sweets. If I want them, I just have to plan my day accordingly.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is the simplest way to lose weight consistently. Unfortunately all the television infomercials and pseudo doctors don't make any money when you count calories. Because of that they have to come up with all the ridiculous diet plans they sell.

I normally stay away from high calorie treats during the day until after dinner. Last night my count was low so I treated myself to a beer and some buffalo pretzels.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power. :) If I decide I want that donut badly enough, it's 190 calories. As the OP said, that means swap out something, or push a little harder to burn some exercise calories. Make it work. No drama.
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Great post :D. And for me I learnt all about portion control too. It was a revelation and I love it.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    The important thing here is that you were in control. You decided what course of action to take and you had the will power to follow through and stay within your self imposed limits.

I for one am standing and applauding. Here here!

+1

Great post, OP! It's about being intentional and budgeting calories in ways that help us meet our goals and stay satisfied in a way that works long term.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I normally stay away from high calorie treats during the day until after dinner. Last night my count was low so I treated myself to a beer and some buffalo pretzels.

That is exactly what I do!! The other night I had one slice of a large sausage pizza. It was approx. 390 cals. Even after that, I still ended up with a deficit of 350cals to eat back, which I saved of course. I wasn't a fan of calorie counting when I began my weight loss journey due to my significant progress without it. However, it really is the best way to consistently lose weight and still keep your sanity when you want that pizza, brownie, or Reese's cup.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yep absolutely. I would never diet any other way unless I had to for medical reasons. It's the only thing that works with the lifestyle I have and quite frankly, would want to have. High five for CICO!
  • kittywrangler
    kittywrangler Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I can't diet any other way! The moment I tell myself I can't have any specific food, I'll start obsessing over it until I get it.