Side cramps while working out.

Options
Is there anything I should or shouldn't be doing to avoid getting a cramp in my side when I'm working out? I only seem to get them when I'm on the treadmill.

Replies

• christopherbrettwarren
    Options
    That is because your breathing insofar while working out. Try getting in a rhythm breathing. Try slowing it down
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Google says to avoid side stitch: warm up properly, eat only lightly before running and regulate your breathing.

My daughter's PE teacher recently told her side stitch was often caused by insufficient hydration.

From my own memory, it used to happen when I pushed myself too hard too soon, and didn't pace myself and breathe well, but I haven't run for a while...

I am sure tne regular runners will be around to help you soon but if not, try posting in the esercise forum.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Warming up worked for me.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Google says to avoid side stitch: warm up properly, eat only lightly before running and regulate your breathing.

My daughter's PE teacher recently told her side stitch was often caused by insufficient hydration.

From my own memory, it used to happen when I pushed myself too hard too soon, and didn't pace myself and breathe well, but I haven't run for a while...

I am sure tne regular runners will be around to help you soon but if not, try posting in the esercise forum.

This is what causes any cramping for me for any exercise, although eating too much/too soon before workouts can do it too. and not drinking enough. But usually going too intense for my abilities is the main cause.
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Running too soon after eating gives me a stitch. I try to eat a light meal or carby snack 30-60 mins before running.