confusion with gluten free foods

Options
So i am very confused about the gluten thing and going gluten free
for someone who is very athletic into endurance sports
i was told going gluten free is bad?
is this true?
here is the quote i got saying this "If you're eating gluten free, seeking better health and weight loss, time to rethink your strategy. Foods high on the glycemic index cause a massive spike of insulin in your blood. When this happens, fat loss comes to a near standstill. Yes, cutting out gluten can reduce some inflammation in some people, but cutting out foods with a high glycemic load is a much faster way to reach your health and weight loss goals. Take a look at the chart for a comparison of gluten free foods on the glycemic index. It will surprise you!"

so what is this saying, please

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Going GF is good if you require it. It's bad if you don't require it because then you are omitting food you enjoy for no reason. I fall into the former category. I still eat up to 270g of carbs because glutenous foods are not the only source of carbs.

And as for your quote, if you want to lose weight eat fewer calories. The paragraph is a load of bull unless it can also back those claims up with some proper scientific data.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Why do you want to go gluten free? It is not required unless you have celiac. And fat loss will only stop if you are consuming too many calories
  • defatify
    defatify Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Gluten is fine for everyone who does not have celiac disease. "Gluten sensitivity" isn't a thing. Eat at a healthy calorie deficit with a reasonable balance of carbohydrates, fat, and protein and you will lose weight.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    defatify wrote: »
    Gluten is fine for everyone who does not have celiac disease. "Gluten sensitivity" isn't a thing. Eat at a healthy calorie deficit with a reasonable balance of carbohydrates, fat, and protein and you will lose weight.

I was not diagnosed Celiac but when I eat it I experience gastrointestinal issues that interfere with my daily living. So I do not consume it. If this is not an experience that one has then gluten is fine.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So i am very confused about the gluten thing and going gluten free
    for someone who is very athletic into endurance sports
    i was told going gluten free is bad?
    is this true?
    here is the quote i got saying this "If you're eating gluten free, seeking better health and weight loss, time to rethink your strategy. Foods high on the glycemic index cause a massive spike of insulin in your blood. When this happens, fat loss comes to a near standstill. Yes, cutting out gluten can reduce some inflammation in some people, but cutting out foods with a high glycemic load is a much faster way to reach your health and weight loss goals. Take a look at the chart for a comparison of gluten free foods on the glycemic index. It will surprise you!"

so what is this saying, please

This is talking about packaged and processed gluten free foods (frozen GF pizza, GF pasta, GF bread, . . . .)
    One can easy and cheaply and safely eat gluten free by eating potatoes, sweet potatoes, grits, rice, quinoa, corn, pop corn, rice cakes, beans.

• livingwaters4him
    Options
    I was gluten intolerant. Here's the thing, going "gluten free" means you don't eat the gluten which causes an allergic reaction which just so happens to be in all of your breads, pastas, oatmeal etc. What happens is most people don't replace there carbohydrates. I didn't for awhile cuz it was a blessing in disguise for me as a weight loss tool. However I just read online tonight that carbohydrates are good for the blood flow that the brain needs to remain healthy and active. So if your cutting out gluten just replace with gluten free pasta, breads etc. And of course in a limited amount cuz even over enduring in that can cause weight gain. Hope this helps.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Funny really. Not sure what the GI has to do with celiac disease. I would disregard it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The article switches topics midstream without warning. Gluten free, you likely don't have to follow that fad. Manufacturers have followed the trend and have come up with all sorts of products to mimic the texture of breads, pastas etc. But even gluten free these products may be short on fiber (glycemic index) and hit your system pretty fast causing an insulin spike. Diabetics know to watch for that. You may decide to pay attention to glycemic index/load too. Your call.