Hr monitors, body fat calculators, and gadgets oh my!

Options
Since ive started eating healthier and working out, ive found tons of weight loss gadgets i want to invest in. I know i dont NEED these extras, but i find even something like new workout clothes motivates me and gives me confidence, actually making me enjoy this new lifestyle.

I almost bought a body fat calibrator but then realized theyre not that important and i could do without.

Now, i really want a heart rate monitor! Please let me know which brands you all use or recommend for these and also give me ideas of extras i can actually use for my new lifestyle (scales, fun stuff, etc). Thanks all!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Scales - no, not worth it as the BF readings are ridiculously innaccurate

If you do steady state cardio then an HRM is a good toy ...polar ft4 here

I also love my fitbit zip which I wear all say every day

I do love my toys so will keep an eye out here for my next gadget

• JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks! Ive had a scale thats supposed to measure body fat for years. Either i cant figure out how to work it, or its just crappy lol.
    My plan is to ask for a fitbit charge for valentines day and buy myself a polar hrm bc i do alot of cardio.
    Some other stuff that makes me happy (sad, i know)- my new sports bras and compression pants. But better than all the money i used to spend at starbucks and on peanut butter cups!
  • JenniferInCt
    Options
    And i need a digital scale. The one i use is horrible to read. Esp as a beginner
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    My favorite fitness gadgets are my bicycle and my fork. :)
  • JenniferInCt
    Options
    Good answer!
  • shawndimantha
    Options
    I've used Polar for heart rate monitors, the one with the chest strap (which is more accurate). Want to try out the new Fitbit HR, would be interested to hear reviews from people who have used it. Own two fitness trackers now.

Also would love this - http://www.liveathos.com/
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    My favorite fitness gadgets are my bicycle and my fork. :)

Yabut where do you put the batteries :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I've used Polar for heart rate monitors, the one with the chest strap (which is more accurate). Want to try out the new Fitbit HR, would be interested to hear reviews from people who have used it. Own two fitness trackers now.

OMGoodG, I always said I needed a gadget to measure how much pain my muscles are in when my trainer puts me through the mill ...just how much do you think that will be?
  • msbengbeng
    msbengbeng Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I wear the Fitbit HR. I find it seems fairly accurate unless I wear it less than tight as can be or I am doing some serious, sweaty cardio for a extended period of time (think military ruck march in Texas heat). For my normal gym stuff (an hour on a cardio machine, zumba class) it does fine. I know as I timed manually with watch VS the fitbit reading. The stairs are steps seem extremely acurrate! It is a fun way to give myself validation. I am a visual learner :blush:
  • JenniferInCt
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

OMGoodG, I always said I needed a gadget to measure how much pain my muscles are in when my trainer puts me through the mill ...just how much do you think that will be?

Priceless..
  • Diver_Adolph
    Diver_Adolph Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Garmin HRM. I do a lot of running and use the HRM and the foot pod for cadence. Part of it depends on the gadget you use to read it. We have 2 Garmins and my daughter and her husband each have one. We don't worry about the day to day stuff, just the things that put us above the baseline (running, shovelling snow, etc.) so we don't see much point in the fitbits.
  • ashley92188
    ashley92188 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft7. I like it.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I've just started using the fitbit charge hr and really like it. My only issue is that I want to exchange for a large soi can move it further up my arm for kettlebell. I also like buying cute new workout clothes, it is motivating!
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit flex (I use it just for the challenges). I use the Polar 7 (with the chest strap) for my HRM. I use map my run/ map my walk apps on my iPhone (for distance and speed).
  • JenniferInCt
    Options
    I have the health app on my iphone. Is the fitbit still worth it? The health app ONLY tells me steps. And when choosing a fitbit, which is best? Charge?
  • JenniferInCt
    Options

Wow, thanks because now so do I!

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 and I am really pleased with it.
  • TahoeSki
    TahoeSki Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    3furballs wrote: »
    I've just started using the fitbit charge hr and really like it. My only issue is that I want to exchange for a large soi can move it further up my arm for kettlebell. I also like buying cute new workout clothes, it is motivating!

I have the Fitbit Charge HR as well and really like it. It monitors heart rate, steps, calories burned, floors climbed and sleep.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    If you run at all, I love my Garmin Forerunner 15. It has all the standard features of an entry level GPS run watch, so you can do pacing, map runs, view records etc etc, but it also has the fitbit style motion tracking included. You can get the chest heart rate strap if you want it, and the whole thing is pretty reasonably priced. Also has like a 4.5 star rating on Amazon, way ahead of most other fitness goodies.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I have the health app on my iphone. Is the fitbit still worth it? The health app ONLY tells me steps. And when choosing a fitbit, which is best? Charge?

I still like my Fitbit One. I wear lots of bracelets and a nice watch so I don't want to wear a Fitbit on my wrist. The only downside is that it's easy to accidentally leave it clipped to your clothes at night...I have a friend who has washed 3 of them now!